Would you feel underscoped with a 6x in elk country?

Swede

WKR
I do not know the terrain and vegetation you are hunting, but if I had to pick one fixed power to cover everything it would be 4X. I have never had more than a 3X-9X and prefer the 2X-7X, but keep it on 4X almost al of the time. Six power is a little better than four power in open country, but the four power is better closer up.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
6x is easily enough out to 400 yds, in my opinion. Range time will verify that for you as an individual though.

Gumbo

WKR
I think I would feel a little undergunned. I don't shoot far, 300-350 tops, but I have 3-9x leupold VXIIs on both my rifles that have probably never been dialed down from 9 in the 15 or so years since I bought them. Maybe if I was looking for a sub-25 yard shot I'd dial down but I doubt it. That said I'm also certain a 6x would work out to those distance too.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn’t feel underscoped for most uses. My kid killed an antelope at 516 with a 2-7x when he was 12. I will admit, though, that he had it turned up to 7x.

1be7b2c7bb5c060ff2516a2004d39b30.jpg

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Something to think about: A couple years ago, I had a doe tag, didn't have a buck tag. I spent 20 minutes of looking w/ binos at what I thought was a doe at 150 yards, while waiting for elk to step out in the same area. Elk never showed, so I figured I would bag the doe. Had my scope on her, just before pulling the trigger, she turned her head and I saw horn. It was a spike. If I had shot her I would have been illegal. I was hunting with a 3-9x40 leupold. After that scare, I stepped up to a 12x, and then a 16x. I have never thought I had too much scope, especially if there is a liberal low end for brush busting. If your on a budget, then stick with what you have. I have not regretted my upgrade in scope.

Dave270

FNG
I have a 375 H&H that currently wears a Leupold 1.75-6x32. I am chosing this rifle to take on an elk hunt not because I feel like I need the 375 but because it is my lightest weight rifle I own in an acceptable elk cartridge. Will I regret only having 6x magnification?

No you won't. Be confident because you have a very good elk rig. As large as elk are a fixed 4x works well also.

Well, a 6X scope with a decent rifle cartridge would work a lot farther then you'd want to shoot. Ideal for a 400 yard shot on the vitals of an elk? Nope. Easy to do? Yes. I think the bigger question would be to ask yourself to define what a adequate elk Cartridge is. It's weird to me that a guy wouldn't own a very capable elk gun if he owns a 375. Not saying you are weird but, it isn't likely you are going from a 22-250 to a 375. 243 and up will kill 'em readily. Magnum crazy for the average range stuff is just...... crazy. God Bless

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Nope, I grew up in NM and hunted hard in the Southwest for 20 years with a basic Remington 700 in .270 with a basic fixed 6x scope. I got a lot of animals with that gun.

OP
A
Well, a 6X scope with a decent rifle cartridge would work a lot farther then you'd want to shoot. Ideal for a 400 yard shot on the vitals of an elk? Nope. Easy to do? Yes. I think the bigger question would be to ask yourself to define what a adequate elk Cartridge is. It's weird to me that a guy wouldn't own a very capable elk gun if he owns a 375. Not saying you are weird but, it isn't likely you are going from a 22-250 to a 375. 243 and up will kill 'em readily. Magnum crazy for the average range stuff is just...... crazy. God Bless
Thanks all for the advice. I think I'll keep the 6x on there for now and once it warms up and I start shooting again I can see if it will work for me. I have a 308 win as well. I know it is adequate for elk with the right bullets. The kicker is it's almost 2 pounds heavier than the 375, maybe more, so I'd much rather lug the 375 around.