Whats the best week to hunt archery elk in the Lemhi zone?

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
I wanna know the best 7-8 days to hunt the Lemhi zone? taking into consideration, hunting pressure, elk moving, elk talking, weather. New to elk hunting so any advice is good. Thanks Kevin

I'd pick Sept 13-20. That would give some time to get after big bulls before they're all herded up, with more vocal rutting action later on. Adjust a little earlier or later depending on what part of the rut you prefer--for more screaming, be there through the 23rd.

OP
kvw4x4

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
You can't predict weather, but the 7-8 days leading up to the fall equinox is when I make sure I'm hunting.
never knew what the fall equinox was till you mentioned it and I googled it. Looks like this year its the 23 of Sept

OP
kvw4x4

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
I'd pick Sept 13-20. That would give some time to get after big bulls before they're all herded up, with more vocal rutting action later on. Adjust a little earlier or later depending on what part of the rut you prefer--for more screaming, be there through the 23rd.
awesome thanks! you been super helpful through out the last month as I try to get a grasp on everything needed to attempt elk hunting

The only thing you can plan for in regards to the weather is to be cold and miserable, if you don't plan on that, it will be. I hunted a neighboring zone last year and packed in during a snow storm, hunted mostly with blue skies with temps around 60 degrees, and packed out during a rainstorm. If you're new to this, the time frame Idahohikker suggests is a good one. Things SHOULD be changing in that time frame in regards to animal behavior and you'll have more strategies to be successful at your disposal.

I think the comments about weather are really wise. I'd adjust some to avoid heavy rain or snow. Both can quiet everything down in Sept.

We need a good planner for hunting in lemhi zone area . As you are looking forward for elk hunting in Lemhi zone here you go , they provide you the exact zone for hunting elk idfg.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/tag/?id=9974. Hope you will find helpful.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Pay attention to the moon phase as well. This year the full moon is during the middle of Sep #$$#$$%'@!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Many see a full moon as a bad thing because it makes the elk active at night, bugling, feeding, etc. Probably almost as many see the full moon as having little to no effect. Randy Newberg acknowledges it but hunts through it and doesn't seem to make a big deal about it. I've seen a full moon having some small negative effects and try to avoid it if possible but no biggie.