Idaho elk unit worth it as I'm already doing a deer hunt there?

So I have the GoHunt Insider app and been looking at draw odds and units for Idaho. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but the info seems focused on bull hunts, or maybe I'm wrong? They don't do a good job of stating if the hunt is for cows and bulls or...well, anyway......

Heading to SE ID for a rifle deer hunt in early October. Deer season for that hunt ends the 16th.

I'm trying to get some info on elk hunts near there, or along the way back to Oregon, that would fall right after that hunt or near the same timeframe to make a go of doing both in one trip.

I'm looking at rifle hunts specifically, and perfectly happy with a cow hunt. I'll hunt OR during bow season, and this would really just be a bonus hunt to coincide with the ID deer hunt. I don't want to drop the costs of a tag if it's not worth it and perfectly happy saving some money and just enjoying a deer hunt.

PM me if you know if a unit or hunt that might be worth it. If not, no bigs. I would hate to drop the funds only to have all the elk on private ag fields. I might try for one controlled hunt int nat time frame that would give me about a 25% chance of drawing, but no idea if it's a terrible hunt or not.

I hate sounding a like a mooch, and this post is very much mooching for info. So, if you need any info on Oregon PM me, or I can always take you on a steelhead drift if you're ever in the John Day area.

Thanks!

SWOHTR

WKR
Recommend you just look at the regs online, they’re pretty easy to understand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
Recommend you just look at the regs online, they’re pretty easy to understand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did that. I just got off the phone with a guy that helped me narrow some units. Think I got a few units to focus on. Thanks for the help!

Yeah, the Idaho regs are pretty straight-forward. Normally I don't like comments where they say just read the regs, but I think that's the thing to do here. You could maybe specify more specifically what is confusing and get some help. Calling IDFG has always been good for me--they've answered my questions clearly.

OP
F
Yeah, the Idaho regs are pretty straight-forward. Normally I don't like comments where they say just read the regs, but I think that's the thing to do here. You could maybe specify more specifically what is confusing and get some help. Calling IDFG has always been good for me--they've answered my questions clearly.

Confusion was more related to success within units that had a lot of private, but I think I narrowed down a unit to apply for. Not great odds, but after checking some dates I think the one I'm shooting for would work well if I drew and wont conflict with the deer hunt.

SWOHTR

WKR
Glad to help. I know the answer was cliche, but Idaho is one state that has easy to understand regs. California is a different beast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk