Wyoming cow unit 7

This is my 1st post, and some buddies and I have gotten drawn for the type 6 cow elk hunt. We are all new to elk hunting, so we are all very excited about the hunt. We plan to head out there in mid December. I have talked to the wildlife biologist and she has helped give tons of information. She says there is an elk problem due to over population. I know to look at state lands, blm, forest service, and the hma's. I want to keep other options open too. Just wondering if anybody knows any ranchers that we could help out by getting rid of 3 troublesome cow elk eating their hay? Just trying to keep options open. We definitely aren't scared to put in the work, we all love being outdoors, are very respectful of the land and animals. Hiking a few miles to find them wouldn't be an issue either. If anybody knows someone that can help us let me know. Thanks

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Access is an issue in unit 7 to the peak. I think even the walk in is a draw only. Takes a bunch of snow to push the elk lower. What are the dates for that tag?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wyosteve

WKR
I'll echo what real unlucky said. Not an easy hunt. My neighbor had a cow tag there 2 yrs. ago and never got his elk. Not many landowners give access. Another friend had same tag about 5 yrs. ago and, despite living in the area, never filled his tag even with hunting through January. Snow is most critical factor in moving them. Good luck and enjoy the time in the outdoors regardless.

wytx

WKR
Keep in touch with that biologist as the season progresses. She'll know if they are moving to wintering ground yet when you come out. Last season the HMAs and walkins did produce elk late in the season. Tunnel Rd is your access on the south side, Halleck Canyon also.
Access is tough.
pm sent

Feederman road will get you into access to some of the WMAs. Most of them are draw but there are a few that are unlimited. A lot of the landowners won’t let you even shoot a cow unless you pay. The biggest problem up there is come late in the season they sit on one or two ranches. I won’t say you won’t get a cow but it is going to be fairly difficult. I will give you my honest opinion. I consider that an archery area only. I will hunt with my bow knowing if I don’t fill my tag, I more than likely won’t get an elk. The problem with 7 is there are a couple big landowners who don’t allow hunting or only guide. Those places only get so many paying hunters so the population has exploded. I don’t remember exactly but the bull to cow ratio was like 10:3 or something ridiculous. If you google Wyoming area 7 there is a video from a local who flew it and gave the video to the game and fish (he was arrested for harassing game) to show where all the elk are at. As it gets closer fill free to pm me and I will give you my phone number. I will be putting in for a bull tag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had cow tags there a few years back, it was a tough hunt, but we were able to fill all four tags. We hiked a ton ever day, I believe we averaged 12/day.

OP
M
Thanks everyone for the replys! We are willing to do whatever it takes to get an elk. Ill pm the folks who told me to pm them as it gets closer to the hunt.