Wyoming Unit 11 Archery Elk

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
I am somewhat new to the forum. I am a born and raised okie who has been hunting whitetails forever and I decided to start applying out of state for elk, deer and antelope.I read you guys posts daily but rarely comment and I appreciate you experienced guys helping us new guys with your hard earned knowledge.

I was fortunate to draw a unit 11 archery only (type 9) elk tag as a nonresident. I have never set foot on this unit and I am planning two scouting trips and would appreciate some general information on this unit to get the most out of my scouting. I am not wanting anyones honey holes and I am definitely willing to put use up some boot leather and do the necessary work to be successful.

What I have read so far about the national forest land on this unit is that the northern half is very thick timber. The southern half is more open but steeper. Access to the forest service land is really good so there really isn't many areas where you can get more than a mile or two off the roads.

There is some state land on the north end of the unit but it is pretty heavily checker boarded with private and I bet accessing most of it is near impossible without paying a trespass fee.

I will have a week and a half to hunt and would really like to harvest the best possible bull that this area holds. 350" appears to be possible but relatively rare on public land. With general hunt areas on all sides I am not to sure that I shouldn't shoot the first 300" bull that I see. Any information on this unit would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jeg

greentimber

Lil-Rokslider
If this is your first elk hunt you should shoot the first legal bull you can shoot. Hoping for a 350 is just silly. Have you ever killed a 260” bull? He’ll be your biggest yet and is a great first bull. Same with a 4x4. Just get on the board first. Worry about a 350 later. Look at the southern 1/3 of that unit.