Colorado GMU 70

rcairney

FNG
I have been looking over many posts and questions here and finally decided to start asking my own...
I am (like soooo many others on here) heading out to CO this year. My wife is taking my daughter to NY so I finally got the opportunity to take my own little vacation, without feeling the guilt- so I'll be heading out to Colorado to walk up and down mountains for 10 days in September.
I have the gear squared away, got the clothes, now I just have to figure out where to drive to. This is stupidly overwhelming for a guy from south Georgia. Here we just walk into the woods and climb a tree, or get on a jon boat and throw in a line. Where the hell do you start with in Colorado?
I want something tough and steep- I'm really into that kinda fun that sucks while you are going through it but provides an amazing story after you survive (8 year marine corps combat vet with a chip). I want to see elk, but I want it to suck. I'm not going to set up camp, I'm going to walk around with it on my back. I am leaning towards unit 70, 65, or 74 area because I am reading that it is steep and miserable, but it sounds like to crowds and the grazing make most want to turn away.
I've been researching since last summer, use toprut and OnX, along with everything the CPW website has to offer (and I am pretty sure their "hunt planner" guys are tired of me calling just to ask questions and talk.)
Anyhow, any information or comments would be greatly appreciated, or anyone wants to tell me I'm an idiot.. I'm good with that too... It's all helpful one way or another.

Anyhow, any information or comments would be greatly appreciated, or anyone wants to tell me I'm an idiot.. I'm good with that too... It's all helpful one way or another.

I think any of us that are willing to spend $600+ (plus gas and everything else) on a nonresident elk tag just to go run around in the mountains for a week with only a small chance of getting an elk are probably clinically certified idiots. But dangit if I can't help but go every year! Southwest Colorado is a beautiful place to spend September and I've hunted in and around those units listed. You should have a great time regardless of the outcome. Best piece of advice I can give is to definitely make sure you're prepared for rain! Good luck and have fun.

cnelk

WKR
Does your research show how many steep, rugged OTC units you drove past to get to GMU 70? :)

Btaylor

WKR
You can find plenty of suck in 65 for sure. Absolutely stunning country though. Cnelk makes a good point too. Lots of suck before you get there.

Poser

WKR
All three of those units can offer up the all the relentless steep and nasty a person can stomach. Pick your poison. Heck, go to where the three units converge and you’ll get plenty of it.

cd2f023f9611358f037e903000288816.jpeg

Thomas11

WKR
There is absolutely all the suck u want in some of 65 and 74! It’s way bigger country than u can really imagine honestly. Some of that country where those units converge I’m not sure a man could get up and down. Lots of other units Around Gunnison u can get all the suck u want as well. Just pick a 53-55 or any 43-48 unit and you’ll have all u want to tackle

3forks

WKR
I would say that others have given you some good advice regarding terrain, but to possibly help answer your question on where to start in the unit you choose, I would say this...

Look at maps to determine where the road and trail systems are and call the forest service to get info on where sheep/cows will be grazing. Also ask where outfitters are permitted to be. Once you've got that info, you can try to find some areas that look like they will have what elk need (secure bedding areas, grass, water) and will move to when they are pressured.

I'm sure you knew all that, but basically once you've found an area you believe the elk will move to, try to find a route into that area that you assume others would not use. For example, you could hike up an avalanche chute or through an area with a lot of downfall that does not have a trail through it. In reality, you could literally just get out of your car on the backside of mountain that doesn't have a trail and start walking up it.

If you're familiar with being uncomfortable and can keep your focus on making slow but consistent progress towards your objective; you probably won't see any other hunters on your route in and could possibly intercept animals moving away from pressure.