First Time Colorado Hunter GMU 521

jarredelectric

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone.

I am considering a 1st or 4th Rifle in Unit 521 for 2018. It seems as though I am able to pull a tag here with 0 points. I am looking to get my feet wet with a hope to shoot an elk.

I understand this unit also allows for hunting in other units. I am just curious if anyone has any type of general insight into these units as far as access and general ideas without giving me your favorite spot. Any help would be appreciated.

I am going to drive in from Louisiana, and possibly will be going solo if my buddy chooses not to apply with me.

Thanks.

Jarred

A lot of hunters and a lot of sheep. Avoid both of those and there are definitely elk to be had there. The gals in the local forest service office are really knowledgeable about where the sheep are each year, and the conservation officer there was helpful when I called seeking some information about that area last year, but he's in the field almost everyday from archery start to the end of rifle so I'd give him a call either before archery season or well before the start of your rifle hunt. He called me back about 4 days after I left a message for him.

That cluster of GMUs is elk heavy. Ive hunted the general area for 5 years and have never gone more than 2 hours into season opening before a harvest. Just get away from people.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting comment about 2 hours until kill. My brother hunted 5 days without seeing an elk

RyanCmns

WKR
I found an interesting ad for a 521 guided hunt that's cheap......if anyone is interested?

I hunted 521 in 2nd rifle of 2016 and didn't see a single elk. It was hot that year and sure the most movement was at night. I believe we had a pretty bright moon as well that week. We did find alot of elk sign but only saw a couple mule deer. We are putting in for 1st rifle this year and plan on hunting a different part of the unit. We are making a trip labor day weekend to do some scouting and get familiar with the landscape.

aion2come

WKR
Hunted 521 a lot, all archery. Good elk numbers. Lots of pressure and not lots of big elk. This year will be my first year hunting outside of 521.

Jeffdvorak - I am also applying for 1st rifle. Are you hunting the Raggeds or elsewhere?

Been looking at the Ragged's pretty hard via desk scouting. Got a couple other areas marked on my map as well. Reason for trip in September is to get somewhat familiar with spots/landscape so we aren't going in completely blind during the hunt.

Colorado 2017 Harvest Reports are out and numbers look to be way down in gmu521. Previous years in 1st rifle was a 40% success rate and 2017 had a 19% success rate. I put in for 1st rifle this year. Curious to know why such a drop in harvest success...previous years show the herd to be trending up, so was weather a factor, or????? It's kind of disappointing to see these numbers like this.

Anyone have and thoughts, input, or can shed some light on the situation?

gbflyer

WKR
1st rifle is a good season for that area. Most of the locals don't hunt it because it's only 5 days and one weekend. I hunted first season in '17 on that side myself. We got a cow, only saw a spike bull. It was nice not to be covered up with other hunters. I bet with a little scouting you'd stand a good chance of success.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hello everyone.

I am considering a 1st or 4th Rifle in Unit 521 for 2018. It seems as though I am able to pull a tag here with 0 points. I am looking to get my feet wet with a hope to shoot an elk.

I understand this unit also allows for hunting in other units. I am just curious if anyone has any type of general insight into these units as far as access and general ideas without giving me your favorite spot. Any help would be appreciated.

I am going to drive in from Louisiana, and possibly will be going solo if my buddy chooses not to apply with me.

Thanks.

Jarred

Hi jarred

Ok so 521 is a tough unit to hunt. I've been all over Colorado and that's definitely one of the toughest units just for the fact of the hunters that go there. If you do end up coming out to Colorado try and stick closer to units 52 almost on the line from 521 and 52. I was in 52 a few years back and we saw a bunch of elk crossing from both units. I know there's bulls in there I've got one hanging on the wall. You'll have to put the work in that's for sure. Or if you can get close to some private land and wait for them to cross over. Specially during rifle it might be a little cold if not snowing. We had a mild winter the last few years here in Colorado so my guess is that the weather come this fall will be nasty (I hope). If you do have any further questions you can always give me a call and we can help you out with some more information. My plan is to go to the unit just south of there in Gunnison 54

davsco

WKR
Colorado 2017 Harvest Reports are out and numbers look to be way down

yeah i'm seeing some larger ups and downs from 2016 to 2017. my totally uneducated (first elk trip later this year) guess is weather, maybe snow changed their pattern from prior year, for better or for worse?

I hunted across the unit border from 521 for a few days this season.

Google Earth does not do the Raggeds justice. Those are some gnarly looking mountains.

topher89

WKR
Colorado 2017 Harvest Reports are out and numbers look to be way down in gmu521. Previous years in 1st rifle was a 40% success rate and 2017 had a 19% success rate. I put in for 1st rifle this year. Curious to know why such a drop in harvest success...previous years show the herd to be trending up, so was weather a factor, or????? It's kind of disappointing to see these numbers like this.

Anyone have and thoughts, input, or can shed some light on the situation?

It was a warm year across the state. Snow was too little and too late compared to a typical year. We usually do a 4th season hunt for cow elk in a different unit because by lmid-November, the snow has usually pushed them into an area of National Forest we know well. This year because of the warmth, we had to hunt 1,000 feet higher than normal and had a tough time.

2017 wasn't a great year for a lot of hunters in CO

Hey guys,
I found it very interesting that Scott@1shotgear mentioned that he is going to hunt 54 this year. I have been hunting 54 for 6 years with 100% success for cow every year. It is one hell of a rugged unit, but the work you put in pays off. We are moving up to 521 4th season because now that CPW made all licenses in 54 type A tags and added 2nd and 3rd OTC bull tags to complicate things even more. I refuse to watch it get destroyed by droves of people.
What scares me is that it seems like this has already happened in 521 and our group made a bad choice? We are all accomplished hunters that live in the San Juans. We respect the wilderness and just want an honest hunt to put cow meat in the freezer. Can any one offer any advice of how to really hunt 521 during 4th? I'm not asking for honey holes, we can scout to find our own. I just mean to ask more simply, is 521 worth if we put the work in?
If it isn't I'd rather us go to our spot in 54 before it hits the fan and skip OTC archery (A tag) this year. Any help is appreciated and I am willing to trade info for any unit near the San Juans.