Rain gear on Colorado elk hunt

jmez

WKR
I also use my rain jacket as my outer layer when it gets chilly and or windy. It is the only jacket I pack in with me. Merino base layer, hunting shirt, vest and rain jacket.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I use the army multicam ecwcs level 6. Goretex, cheap, light. It's not super quiet but if it's a downpour I usually buckle down. For lighter rain I and I'm stalking or moving around I just throw the level 5 softshell on and it holds off the light rain no issues. You can find the UCP pretty cheap but the elk doesn't give two f!@ks what camo you're wearing. In the end it's about the funcuality of your gear. Just food for thought. A lot of guys really dig spending big $$$ on the name stuff but there's other options out there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
I picked up Patagonia on sale few years ago. Decent jacket. Best part is it has full pit zips so if I had to move I can vent. Weighs 12 oz.

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Columbia rain jacket and Patagonia pants. Both waterproof/windproof. They’re not super quiet but I’ve never run anything off wearing them.

jrnorton4

FNG
For lightweight and cheap, to throw in your pack and not take up much room, Frog Toggs are hard to beat in my opinion. From what I saw of southern Colorado when we hunted it, you need raingear, and if you see a cloud on the next mountain over, you'd better be putting it on quick.

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
I use cabelas space rain, wont hold up in many snags I feel but does the job. That being said Kuiu has some of their NX stuff in the outlet right now for cheap depending on your size.

Dwnorton1

FNG
I personally wear Firstlite. Whatever you get make sure top has pit zips and sides of pants have ventilation. I ended up wearing the pants nearly all the time. Even when its not raining the vegetation is often wet. Nothing worse than being wet from rain or just own sweat. Just my 2 cents.

Packing into + 10k, its nice to have good stuff. Below, a contractor bag will work to get you through the afternoon storms.

Cliffy12

WKR
It snowed on me last year mid day and my pants got soaked mainly from the vegetation. I don't like being wet, I didn't even think about putting on rain pants. Should have.

Do you think you need camo rain pants? I have a black pair of precip pants that I carry around. Cabelas had half off sale on there space rain pants I picked up a pair for $35 but not sure if I need the camo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It snowed on me last year mid day and my pants got soaked mainly from the vegetation. I don't like being wet, I didn't even think about putting on rain pants. Should have.

Do you think you need camo rain pants? I have a black pair of precip pants that I carry around. Cabelas had half off sale on there space rain pants I picked up a pair for $35 but not sure if I need the camo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Camo not needed. Even if you think you need camo, your bottom half is the last place I would worry about.

DuaneZ

FNG
I love my First Lite Stormtight jacket and pants. Light weight, packable, and not to noisy. I can get the pants on quickly without having to take my boots off which was very important to me.

njdoxie

WKR
I use cabelas space rain suit, I treat it gently, for few times I need rain protrection or wind stopper. I have had it a decade or so and might have used it 5 times, but it stays in my pack. The thougth of getting soaked keeps it there.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
First time hunting Colorado in September what rain gear are you using?

The best set of rain gear is going to be your storm front jacket/pants. If you're looking for something quiet I would recommend the thunderhead jacket/pant. They both are going to be a Gortex material and I personally have used both all over the world and they worked great. We are going to Kamchatka Russia in September and I will be taking my storm front set. Yes they are pricy but they will last you a long time. We also spend almost the whole month of september in the mountains here in Colorado...

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Take the space rain gear but get a good pair of gaiters to keep those feet dry. If your brush busting get more substantial pants. But definitely get gaiters. Good deals abound

moeleo

WKR
I always wear a pair of good Gaiters but as far as rain gear for CO especially in archery season I keep the Sitka Flash Pullover with me. Works great and if it gets really windy and cold I put it on under my puffy just to help cut wind and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk