Engineering a Better Broadhead for Elk

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you grind them after heat treat to get them to spin well? Just some random thoughts.

We do all the grinding after heat treat. We also machine the ferrules in the hardened condition to avoid any distortion that would be caused by heat treating after machining. This allows us to hold very tight tolerances. Our ferrule concentricity is typically .0001".

We do all the grinding after heat treat. We also machine the ferrules in the hardened condition to avoid any distortion that would be caused by heat treating after machining. This allows us to hold very tight tolerances. Our ferrule concentricity is typically .0001".

Damn.

I really want to give these a shot but just bought six new 125 QAD Exodus heads. Let me know when the case comes out and I can grab 6 at a clip.

So what’s the reasoning for having a vented broadhead vs the new heads you have coming out that are solid?

Bill V, I am sure I'm not the only one who has many different broadheads laying around, all from reliable manufacturers, with many archers attesting to their durability and accuracy. They are all good broadheads, yet not all have worked well in my bow. Consequently, I have groups of 3 or 4 broadheads, of which only one has been used for target practice to evaluate how well they work in my set up. The rest remain like new and sitting in my archery box until either a new bow or arrow is set up.

When I've found something that works better that what I'm using, I go all in, usually buying at least 6-9 (or a few more) so I have enough for a season and a few spares.

At $99.95 per 3 heads, have you ever considered selling them for folks to try one at a time? Perhaps at a slight premium (say $36-$37, ea. for singles) so folks could buy one and try it out for themselves? I'd be willing to give that a go to test in my archery set up after I get my bow back from new strings/cables, and evaluate it against my current broadhead for elk this fall.

To me that seems a little easier to swallow than nearly $100 just to try them out. I'm certain they are quality made from all the testimonials, but I've played with archery only enough to know what works for others, doesn't always work as well for me.

I was just curious and please don't take offense at the question. What research I've done says they fly to field points in tuned bows, penetrate extremely well (even through shoulders of certain species), and uber/super sharp. They sound awesome and you certainly have done your due diligence creating a product you are standing behind and believe in. Well done.

One more question, I notice the bleeders are not made of A2. I'm curious as to why and if they sharpen up as well as the main blade or do you recommend replacing them instead of touching them up?

To Mr. Bill V of Iron Will Outfitters, the sincererest of apologies, Sir! I had missed the option to purchase individual heads under the "Shop" category, but found the option under "Gear".

To StopMakingSense, thank you kindly for pointing out my error! Very appreciated.

I've got one on the way now in the 100 grain version and excited to try it out!

To Mr. Bill V of Iron Will Outfitters, the sincererest of apologies, Sir! I had missed the option to purchase individual heads under the "Shop" category, but found the option under "Gear".

To StopMakingSense, thank you kindly for pointing out my error! Very appreciated.

I've got one on the way now in the 100 grain version and excited to try it out!

I ordered one too right after this, thanks for pushing me!

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any chance of a deep six? Particularly in the 225gr

We offer Deep Six now in the v100, v125, s125, & s150. Just select Deep Six under thread type when ordering. No plans to go higher unless we see more demand.

fap1800

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a similar Tanto style vented head, but noticed a considerable amount of hiss. Was wondering how your vented heads "sounded." Of course I could just opt for a solid. I'm not running a fast setup so tuning should be manageable.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used a similar Tanto style vented head, but noticed a considerable amount of hiss. Was wondering how your vented heads "sounded." Of course I could just opt for a solid. I'm not running a fast setup so tuning should be manageable.

I tested these heads a year ago. I even told the company I would not switch to these heads long term, but would test and honestly review them. I did penetration, flight, sharpness retention, accuracy, and noise testing. The only thing I could find with these heads was a little flight noise. From there I did more side by side with other heads, in varying conditions, locations, and circumstances. In the end I have switched to the Iron Will head. From my testing and hunting experience with them, I do not see the slight flight noise as being an issue. It was nice to see Iron Will make the jump to the solid blade to help reduce that issue to those who didn't like it. My son and I had great success with the vented head over the last year harvesting multiple deer, bear, elk, and turkeys. Looking forward to another great year with them.

Swede

WKR
I am sometimes a naysayer to be sure, but it looks like we have a solution in search of a problem. There are a lot of good broadheads out there that are plenty for elk or moose. With all archery deer and elk shot, that I am familiar with, I cannot say a broadhead failure was ever a problem. I had one broadhead spine break off after it passed through the entire elk body. It lodged in the offside front leg bone. But the elk was plenty dead.
I do not know what the market will accept, but I would question the need for a new extremely pricy broadhead.

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am sometimes a naysayer to be sure, but it looks like we have a solution in search of a problem. There are a lot of good broadheads out there that are plenty for elk or moose. With all archery deer and elk shot, that I am familiar with, I cannot say a broadhead failure was ever a problem. I had one broadhead spine break off after it passed through the entire elk body. It lodged in the offside front leg bone. But the elk was plenty dead.
I do not know what the market will accept, but I would question the need for a new extremely pricy broadhead.

Most broadheads won't be sharp after passing through the hide and a rib bone or shoulder blade. Many will actually bend or break a blade or ferrule on bone contact. To me that is a problem to be addressed. Through years of engineering and using ideal materials and manufacturing processes, the Iron Will Broadhead will pass through hide, ribs, and shoulder bones undamaged and stay extremely sharp resulting in more bleeding and quicker kills. The value you place on that is up to you, but a majority of our selling price is just the materials and manufacturing processes to achieve this.

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One more question said:
The bleeder blades are made of the same A2 steel as the main blades. They use the same thickness .062", cryogenic treatment, and triple temper heat treat process to match the edge retention and impact strength of the main blades and they can be resharpenend. I'll try to make this more clear on the website.

Swede

WKR
Bill, I mean you no personal offence. One time I said a fellow reminded me of the Sham Wow idiot with his fervent pitch on elk calling products. You remind me of a vacuum cleaner salesman. I have killed 23 elk, just from my tree stand, using broadheads. Sure broadheads get dulled in use. I would never shoot a second animal without resharpening it, or replacing the blades, even if they look and feel perfect. There are a number of good broadheads that are plenty for elk.
Before I would spend years engineering a product that is already very common, I would look through a Cabelas catalog. When you get your broadheads down to $40 per three pack, then you have something to compare with the Magnus Black Hornet 4 blade, or other good broadheads.

Bm22

FNG
I have no experience shooting elk. This will be my first year.

I do however have a lot of experience shooting whitetail. I shot a whitetail doe last year through the knuckle into the heart. I had maybe 4 inches of penetration which was enough to kill her. It was with a Magnus Black Hornet. The broadhead disintegrated, bleeders broke out, ferrule bent to an 45 degree angle and was chipped to pieces. Keep in mind this was a 85 lb Texas doe.

When I hunt elk which have a much thicker ribs and will most likely only get one shot I will be using the best broadhead. I don’t want to say well crap had I spent another $20 per head I would have killed that elk. I shoot 3-5 deer a year and several pigs. I may only get one shot at an elk $90 for broadheads isn’t that big a deal.

cnelk

WKR
I like the ongoing efforts to engineer better quality gear, be it broadheads, clothing, boots, bows etc.

Im sure all of the higher quality companies have done product analysis and feasibility studies prior to investing in such endeavors.
Im sure those results included the 'nay-sayers' too

There is a reason we arent bowhunting with flint knapped broadheads anymore, because of guys like Bill V

Swede

WKR
The Magnus Black Hornet which is highly rated, looks very much like the ones Bill V. engineered. They have .059 inch thick SS blades vs. the .062 inch blades on Bill V's broadhead. The Black Hornet has an aluminum ferrule. If hitting a 80# doe distorts the Black Hornet like it was stated above, it should in no way have the acclaim it enjoys.
Other blades like the Muzzy have an aluminum ferrule and .025 inch thick blades. They kill elk every year. I have not shot Bill V's broadheads, but with all of the broadheads I have had, I can't relate to the problems I am reading about here. These problems now being claimed are in no way typical.
Who would have bow hunted elk if their broadheads wrinkled up on an 80# doe?
Bill, I am sure you have a great broadhead. In no way do I want to disrespect you or your product. If people can afford your broadhead, they can rest assured they have a top quality, well thought out product. Best wishes.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
The Black Hornet has an aluminum ferrule and it is not a durable BH. Go buy and shoot a pack if you think otherwise. Just a target will do, no need to even try them on game.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
The Black Hornet has an aluminum ferrule and it is not a durable BH. Go buy and shoot a pack if you think otherwise. Just a target will do, no need to even try them on game.

I 100% agree!!You're correct they are aluminum ferrules and bend easy. They could be a great head but as with most broadheads on the market there made with the cheapest materials possible. I have 4-5 that need to be sent back for replacement but after bending that many I figured whats the point as I will not be shooting them in the future.

As for the Iron Will heads. Last year when I first heard about them tell today I was very skeptical of them for the money they cost as I have been burned by another costly head that was heavily pushed last year. Those heads sucked big time.
That said after listening to the Gb/Ironwill podcast today I am fully sold on them and the person Bill V is. He is my kind of guy!! I am in the am also a small biz manufacturer who works with steel all day. It was very clear Bill V. knows his stuff and has put in a ton of time perfecting the head.
Know I just have to decide on vented or non vented. Leaning toward the Vented.

bwlacy

WKR
I really don't understand why people get so worked up about the price of new products. If it truly is a great product then how do you put a certain price point on it, especially a broad head.

We spend hours in the gym, hours shooting, and thousands upon thousands of dollars on other gear, tags, etc.... I don't see the big deal for a $35 dollar head. I currently don't have any of the Iron Will heads, haven't seen one, and don't know anybody that has. I will be testing them this summer though. They do sell singles to play with. I have several boxes of other heads in my basement from trying them out over the years that I won't use and have spent way more than that total.