Engineering a Better Broadhead for Elk

GotDraw?

WKR
Wow. No need for new companies to do new testing? Thank God that research doctors haven't adopted that philosophy.

Ashby's research is now over 10 years old. Howard Hill's (that Ashby cited) is over 50 years old. Blade steel research is constantly evolving.

Much of life and much of design engineering involves compromise in order to achieve the best outcome. Over optimize for one factor and you may find that other important factors suffer.

I think we can all agree that optimal broadhead performance for hunting is derived from multiple parameters.

Penetration- In 1956, Howard Hill's research book "Hunting Arrows" indicated that a 3:1 length/width ratio optimized penetration. In 2007 Ashby cited and concurred with Hill, that a ratio of approx 3:1 provided good penetration.

Accuracy/Precision- Bill V., design engineer at Iron Will Broadheads, found that broadheads design based on a 3:1 length/width ratio were prone to planing, thus sacrificing repeatable accuracy and precision. I note that Hill's original testing (later cited by Ashby) was done in the 1950's and Ashby's research was done in 2007. Compound bows weren't around in the 1950's and compound bows have gotten faster since Ashby's 2007 testing. Speed creates planing issues that were not an issue in the 1950's. It has been a while since I read all of Ashby's research, but I do not recall that he tested for repeatable accuracy and precision with his shot groups using bows that shoot 330-350+ fps.

Accuracy- Repeatable, reliable accuracy is paramount for bow hunters.

Bill at Iron Will found that he was able to minimize wind planing and still achieve excellent penetration with a more compact length/width ratio broadhead design.

Structural Integrity-- Bill at Iron Will also found that superior blade steel, heat treated and cryo treated to a combination of high hardness and strength would retain structural integrity and stay wicked sharp for the duration of animal penetration-- thus providing superior penetration.

Ashby found that THE SINGLE most important factor related to penetration was structural integrity of the broadhead.

Per Ashby: "Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is the most important factor. It applies to every aspect of the arrow, from the broadhead's tip and edge strength to the nock. Even a tiny tip-bend results in an average penetration loss of
14%."

Iron Will broadheads are built with the best possible steel, hardened, heat treated and cryo treated to a Rockwell hardness of approx R60. Even the Grizzly broadheads Ashby tested back 10 years ago were only R53.

Give me a broadhead shape that offers a strong point and ability to penetrate, made from the toughest, hardest blade steel available with the toughest, hardest ferrule available.

While some posters may feel that "marketing" may "sell anything these days", I find it best not to stick my head in the sand with regard to the potential improvements that new testing, new steel and new designs may yield.

Best,

JL

Last edited:

ozyclint

WKR
thanks for pointing out my poor choice of words. they came across implying that there is nothing left to learn and to stop innovating, which is certainly not the case.

i guess what i was trying to say is not many BH designs thereafter reflected what his findings showed.

i totally agree that a BH has many parameters to consider in terms of it's intended use and manufacturing process and the importance of those change with individual tastes.

GotDraw?

WKR
Hah- We've all been there!

Totally agree that it is far too easy to write something that seemed totally clear when we're writing it, only to have others interpret a different message!

It's all good!

JL

thanks for pointing out my poor choice of words. they came across implying that there is nothing left to learn and to stop innovating, which is certainly not the case.

i guess what i was trying to say is not many BH designs thereafter reflected what his findings showed.

i totally agree that a BH has many parameters to consider in terms of it's intended use and manufacturing process and the importance of those change with individual tastes.

Trial153

WKR
I know its not the sexiest idea out there but i have found the best compromise results with a Leading main blade and bleeders ...IW, soilds, Viper Tricks ect ect.

Two blade heads gave me great Penetration and flight. However I have had some piss poor blood trails with good shot placements. I can say the same about three bladed heads like VPAs ...poor blood trails relative to shot placement.

Maybe its me but I havent given second thought to broadhead noise for about any heads i have tried or for any game i have hunted.

ndbuck09

WKR
I second that I've had bad/no blood trails on great shot placement on elk with these 2 blade and bleeder heads, in my case Viper Tricks. 2 years ago I hit an elk at 20 yard, through the boiler room, arrow buried in a tree so much I had to unscrew the head and leave it in the tree to get the arrow out. Arrow was covered in blood and I thought it was going to be an easy tracking job. Not so. Looked and looked for many hours. Never did find a blood trail. Finally found the bull about 4-500 yds from the shot site in gnarly country.

Back east prior to living in Idaho, when using 2 inch wide cut expandables, the blood trails were awesome. But of course you don't want to use an expandable on an elk, plus you can't in Idaho.

I quit using the viper tricks after that day and now try to find a bigger cut fixed head. I think with today's speed and energy we don't need 1 1/8 inch wide heads. I just think a bigger hole needs to be opened up. Super skinny arrows, an outsert, 70lbs 29.5 draw and a 430 grain arrow all tuned perfect really means that the small head is leaving energy out there most of the time, energy that could be put into creating a bigger wound channel. I wish there was a 1.5 inch 2 blade with bleeder head out there...maybe there is somewhere?? Maybe Iron Will would build some?

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Good discussion and why I went with Cutthroats for my upcoming water buffalo hunt. 250 grains, Rockwell 55, all one piece of 2 bladed, single bevel glory.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
I second that I've had bad/no blood trails on great shot placement on elk with these 2 blade and bleeder heads, in my case Viper Tricks. 2 years ago I hit an elk at 20 yard, through the boiler room, arrow buried in a tree so much I had to unscrew the head and leave it in the tree to get the arrow out. Arrow was covered in blood and I thought it was going to be an easy tracking job. Not so. Looked and looked for many hours. Never did find a blood trail. Finally found the bull about 4-500 yds from the shot site in gnarly country.

Back east prior to living in Idaho, when using 2 inch wide cut expandables, the blood trails were awesome. But of course you don't want to use an expandable on an elk, plus you can't in Idaho.

I quit using the viper tricks after that day and now try to find a bigger cut fixed head. I think with today's speed and energy we don't need 1 1/8 inch wide heads. I just think a bigger hole needs to be opened up. Super skinny arrows, an outsert, 70lbs 29.5 draw and a 430 grain arrow all tuned perfect really means that the small head is leaving energy out there most of the time, energy that could be put into creating a bigger wound channel. I wish there was a 1.5 inch 2 blade with bleeder head out there...maybe there is somewhere?? Maybe Iron Will would build some?

I may have missed it but did somebody first this "I've had bad/no blood trails on great shot placement on elk with these 2 blade and bleeder heads"
The poster above you had the opposite opinion.
I know for my self I have had no issues with blood trails with the above type heads.

With all of the interest we're starting to see in this head, maybe a 10-15% off coupon for rokslide members is in order....or even some type of group pricing for rokslide members. I'd be interested in picking up a 6 pack of these if the price were right :D

I'll likely pick them up either way, but group buys with some discounts offer that much more incentive. You could even skip the fancy box and send them to me in a ziplock bag.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
With all of the interest we're starting to see in this head, maybe a 10-15% off coupon for rokslide members is in order....or even some type of group pricing for rokslide members. I'd be interested in picking up a 6 pack of these if the price were right :D

I'll likely pick them up either way, but group buys with some discounts offer that much more incentive. You could even skip the fancy box and send them to me in a ziplock bag.

I agree and would be in for 6 heads as well. I also don't need the fancy boxes if it saves a few bucks.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Ive wondered about the appeal of or the reason for the box. It seems a wasted expense. I get that its a f"feel good" measure but that lasts about 30 seconds and I don't think its worth it. My cutthroats came on a cardboard card and clear shell that went in the trash ASAP. Fantastic broad heads and no box.

GotDraw?

WKR
My thought process is that we want our arrows to pass-through and exit with a lot of un-spent energy when the hit is clean through the lungs.

That energy is not wasted, it is actually a *critical* energy reserve.

If a broadhead strikes a rib, ribs, shoulder blade, it needs that reserve energy to break or penetrate bone.

If we take a 1 1/16" wide broadhead and increase its width to enlarge the cut, then the mechanical energy needed/expended in order to penetrate is not a linear increase, it is a power function... perhaps a square function. This means we have less reserve when we hit bone. Increasing cutting width also greatly increases the odds of a rib or other bone strike. Increasing width will also necessitate a thinner blade in order to keep broadhead weight the same, this will make it weaker. Furthermore, a wider fixed blade will have a far greater surface area and be more prone to planing, creating accuracy issues.

Effective broadhead design requires optimizing all considerations.

My thoughts.
YMMV

Best,
JL

Last edited:
OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for answering some of the questions guys. The solid blade is only planned for the 125 grain on up. I would need to thin up the blade or ferrule significantly to hit 100 grains, so I think the v100 (vented) is a better option.

The wood box doesn't really add that much cost and it isn't just for looks. The high density foam clamps the blades on the flat faces, not the edges. I didn't want the edges rubbed by anything during the vibration from truck or flight. It also holds them in place during a drop.

Thanks for answering some of the questions guys. The solid blade is only planned for the 125 grain on up. I would need to thin up the blade or ferrule significantly to hit 100 grains, so I think the v100 (vented) is a better option.

The wood box doesn't really add that much cost and it isn't just for looks. The high density foam clamps the blades on the flat faces, not the edges. I didn't want the edges rubbed by anything during the vibration from truck or flight. It also holds them in place during a drop.

Bill,

Any thoughts on a rokslide member discount, or a group buy where 'X' number of heads receives 'X' percentage/dollar discount?

ndbuck09

WKR
My thought process is that we want our arrows to pass-through and exit with a lot of un-spent energy when the hit is clean through the lungs.

That energy is not wasted, it is actually a *critical* energy reserve.

If a broadhead strikes a rib, ribs, shoulder blade, it needs that reserve energy to break or penetrate bone.

If we take a 1 1/16" wide broadhead and increase its width to enlarge the cut, then the mechanical energy needed/expended in order to penetrate is not a linear increase, it is a power function... perhaps a square function. This means we have less reserve when we hit bone. Increasing cutting width also greatly increases the odds of a rib or other bone strike. Increasing width will also necessitate a thinner blade in order to keep broadhead weight the same, this will make it weaker. Furthermore, a wider fixed blade will have a far greater surface area and be more prone to planing, creating accuracy issues.

Effective broadhead design requires optimizing all considerations.

My thoughts.
YMMV

Best,
JL

Thanks for your perspectives on this. I would definitely agree with the thinner blade needed to keep head weight the same. And while I understand what you're saying about the non-linear power curve increase with more width, I truly feel that the increase in velocities of today's compounds means that the bucket of energy reserve is most definitely increased or more full.

If I was shooting a 320 ibo bow 8-10 yrs ago I needed a certain width to be the best compromise in the power curve and energy reserve. Now I'm shooting a 340 ibo bow (in my real life i had shot 270's FPS and now days I'm at 290's) so I have filled even more of the energy reserve bucket without moving that slider a bit more toward a bigger hole.

The reality is that broadheads aren't made custom for the energy output of people's setups so it's understandable that heads have stayed the same size for the most part while bows have been increasing their efficiencies. There's a lot of folks shooting slower speeds that could give bad publicity for a wider head so it would have to be entered into delicately. I think that's basically where I'm at. Just wish there was an awesome well built head like this with more width for folks' setups pushing more kinetic energy. The tuning aspect is another topic bc I a very firm believer when you really tune and give it the hours and days it deserves, you'll come out good in that regards; a lot of folks don't get it to where it should be due to time and knowledge gaps.

nrhardin

FNG
I have been eyeing these BHs for a while but was waiting until spring to pull the trigger. I live a short distance from Iron Will's location so emailed about picking up some BHs to avoid shipping costs. Bill V reached out to me and offered to meet up in town so I could check out the product in person and potentially buy a few. Bill obviously knows his stuff, as anyone who listened to the podcast can attest. Without commenting on any other broadhead, you are getting a quality designed and engineered product with the Iron Wills.

Looks like Aaron Snyder is coming out with a podcast this week that tests this broadhead, among others. Plenty of other media is out there highlighting the quality of these heads as well. I look forward to getting some experience with them for turkey this spring, and this fall on elk, mulies, and whitetail.

Aside from any aspect of the product, the customer service exhibited by Bill is second-to-none. We're all busy, and he took time out of his day to meet up and let me check out the heads. I personally have never received that level of customer service. Thanks again Bill!

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for all the interest guys. In regards to a Rokslide member group discount, I have the heads priced about as low as I can and still make money, so I don't plan to ever discount the broadhead price. I would be willing to do a Rokslide special of free shipping or a free T-shirt for a few days if there is interest.

hobbes

WKR
By all means, shoot the heads if you like them. They sound like a great head. I may be willing to try them some day. However, if your setup will not double lung an elk after penetrating an elk rib .............you've probably got more problems than broadhead design.