Engineering a Better Broadhead for Elk

LWC

FNG
Ordered a few to try. Hope to blow one through a bull in about 6 months. Look like awesome heads

Received my broadheads in the mail today. First impression is wow. STURDY/SOLID. Next step is some black eagles to carry this broadhead to the target. Thanks for the product Bill and the Rokslide bonus t-shirt!

GotDraw?

WKR
Hi Bill,

FYI- you need to use the "link" function on the tool bar in the "Quick Reply" in order to properly add your link and make it functional.
Be careful that you don't accidentally add two http:'s to it since there's already one in that tool...

JL

netman

WKR
I have used two blade broadheads since the 70’s. I mainly used the Bear razor heads with and without the bleeders. Most of the time with out. I used them for recurve and compound bows.
When everyone switched to the three blade heads all I heard was how great they were . I used them for one year. Rattled in a large WT buck. Shot him at twenty seven yards with a 90 pound PSE Mach Flight. Hit the deer in the shoulder and knocked the deer down. He jumped up and scurried way. Never found him. Later learned a rabbit hunter found it in a nearby pond and sawed the rack off.
I found my arrow minus the three blade and four inches or so of 2117 shaft.
I went back to the Bear Razorheads immediately.
I have killed several deer with the same arrow and razor head. Touch the head up with a stone or file and back to work it went.
The only downfall I see with a two blade is the entry and exit when shooting a animal from ground level. There is no high or low hole/exit. The entry and exit are on the same level or closely level.
I have shot quite a few deer while sitting on a five gallon bucket in a fence or hedge row.
All the deer were shot perfectly but the entry and exit were on the same level. Little to zero blood trail.
A 1 1/8” slit on one side and a 1 1/8” on the other.
Upon recovery the deers chest cavity would be completely full of blood.
Now shot from a tree stand no problem as there is a drain hole for the blood.
I still use the Zwickeys on my recurve but use the two blade Rage for compound.
I used the Rothar Snuffer for several kills. You talk about knocking a hole in a deer.
For Elk I would have to consult with you guys for the best broadhead.
Most two blades slip in and out without much resistance.

Hey Bill, I noticed that your individually sold broadheads appear under the "gear" category of your website, but there is no link on your website anywhere to get to that page. The only place I can find to purchase them is under the "shop" category, which only sells the 3-packs. If you manually type Gear — Iron Will Outfitters into the address bar, you are brought to another page with the 1-packs 3-packs. Just wanted to give you a heads up as I know a lot of people are interested in the singles before committing to the 3 pack. Thanks

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Bill, I noticed that your individually sold broadheads appear under the "gear" category of your website, but there is no link on your website anywhere to get to that page. The only place I can find to purchase them is under the "shop" category, which only sells the 3-packs. If you manually type Gear — Iron Will Outfitters into the address bar, you are brought to another page with the 1-packs 3-packs. Just wanted to give you a heads up as I know a lot of people are interested in the singles before committing to the 3 pack. Thanks

Thanks for the input and you are correct, we put the single broadheads on a hidden page and have been directing people there upon request. We will probably add this to the main shop page soon, since we are getting many requests.

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I recently took some high magnification edge pictures of a number of broadheads and want to share my findings. I get a lot of question about what makes a premium broadheads and why does it cost more. Two very important benefits are sharpness and edge retention. We use A2 tool steel with a hardness of 60 HRC. We do a triple draw heat treatment and cryogenic treatment to get the maximum performance from the steel. This allows us to get a very high hardness along with a high impact strength. Higher hardness allows us to get a much sharper edge and maintain that edge longer. We do a three stage grinding process where the final stage is a super fine honing. Here are some high magnification photos (200X) of five very popular broadheads along with ours in the lower right.

edge comparison new.jpg

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Another thing I've found is that many broadheads that start sharp are dull by the time they go through hide and for sure through a rib. I recently did a force test, pushing broadheads through a tanned deer hide and into a piece of foam. The pictures attached are after two passes through hide. The ones on the left and middle were made from 420SS with a hardness of about 50 HRC (by far the most popular broadheads blade steel). There was no measureable change to the Iron Will broadhead (far right). This demonstrates the advantage of a premium blade steel at high hardness. It is cutting all the way through, not pushing tissue aside, to maximize bleeding for good blood trails and quick kills.

edge comparison hide.jpg

Last edited:

jm1607

WKR
So I'm a little behind the times, just noticed the non-vented "solid" heads.. Look pretty sweet!

Was wondering what people thought about them compared to the vented? How do they shoot? If they are less/more noisy? Any real world differences at all?

Thought I would give a little feedback after working with these IW vented broad heads. I’ve also changed up my arrows this year. I’m shooting A black eagle spartan, set-up at 15% foc. 455 grains. I’m using the IW vented 125 heads. They fly identically to my field tips. I have noticed some “whistling” during flight but nothing to concerning to me. I’m quite impressed with how well the head holds a sharp edge, even after shooting through my target with them. I’m excited to see how the perform in an animal this fall.

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm a little behind the times, just noticed the non-vented "solid" heads.. Look pretty sweet!

Was wondering what people thought about them compared to the vented? How do they shoot? If they are less/more noisy? Any real world differences at all?

Here’s some updated testing on the non-vented vs the vented IWs - Iron Will Broadhead: Solid vs Vented Flight Test - YouTube. Looks like the non vented are shooting just as well based on this.

I’m getting a chance today to shoot the non vented for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member

Literally LOL'ed at your signature.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
3dea9b152fd31acfc831d9b6b3464c6a.jpg

Iron Will owner, Bill, getting it done last night on a Canada Bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk