Solo archery Elk tactics.

Skull10

WKR
Lots of great information here Guys, thanks a lot. This year will be my first Elk hunt (Colorado), and it will be an OTC solo hunt. I'm taking in all the information from this site that I can.

For me the hardest thing is just finding a bull that'll go along with a plan, whatever it might be. Like others have said if you call be ready, be in a spot you can shoot from and be ready to move. Whenever possible I prefer to not be where a bull last heard me from when he gets into bow range so I'm less likely to be left with a frontal shot.

Early season non vocal bulls mean one thing to me, sit on active wallows. I hate it but it's been the most effective tactic for me early in the season. If you know an area you might get somewhere high and throw out a location bugle to narrow down which wallow to sit on but once I'm at the wallow I prefer to be silent so bulls aren't coming in looking for something.

Jon Boy

WKR
The bulls ive killed with my bow have all been while acting solo. Some times Ive had people with me but it always seems that I'm the only one who can call. First bull I aggressively called in to 36 yards and arrowed him while he was raking a tree, second one I slipped in silently on while he was making a bunch of ruckus and distracted by cows and arrowed him at 60 yards, Third one I called in by sitting in the same spot calling frequently and he came from a long ways away to 25 yards. All broadside. A good set up is key and also knowing when to shut up when they're getting close. Also I cow called a cow into 36 yards and loosed an arrow on her.

To be honest I cant think of a set up over the years on all the bulls I've called in where a second caller would have been helpful.

AK_hunter

FNG
Early season I’m looking for used wallows and fresh rubs as my cameras show the first week of September Until around the 10th they willl hit them often and aren’t too far away. Sitting can be good but difficult for those that like to wander myself included. 3 yrs ago had 3 friends all shoot great bulls over wallows around the 10th when bugling was limited.

This is the tactic that I use. Get into place a couple hours prior to sunset and wait for them to come out of the high ground down to water.

I finally got my solo elk, early season, from a tree stand that my hunting partner and I put up after scouting the area for a week. We would split up and hunt about a mile apart from each other so we’d have a better chance of catching a herd going to water. Setup over a game trail and basically got lucky that they came down that particular draw to the watering hole that night. For me, patience is the name of the game when bow hunting for elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
Topo, congrats on getting it done, very nice bull!

For me there's times for aggressive action but there's way more times to start with Slow Playing a bull or cow! Much depends on the situation. When in doubt as to what type of encounter I'm in I'll go with a Slow Play everytime, I can always step up & raise the heat if needed but it's tough to start at the top & come back down with positive results! -- If a Runner & Gunner in dark timber it's a great way to success. -- If looking for any elk in dark timber or areas with good tight cover & wind then troll with cold calling setups up to 45 min at a setup until you locate elk, they generally slip in silent! -- After 10 am locate bedding areas, as long as within a 1/4 mile now use a Creative Cow Calling Sequence, stay there for hours until the elk show! Once in bedding areas you have a captive audience so no need to troll! Be patient, elk will come once up on their feet again!

ElkNut/Paul

dtrkyman

WKR
I like to call then quickly move down wind of my calling location at least 50 yards at shut up for a while. works best with a quartering wind not one directly in your face.

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good advice.. I’m seconding the frontal shot if hunting solo. Just look at diagrams of elk anatomy to be sure where to place that shot. I shot a descent bull this year with a very strong quartering to shot (i shot just in front of the front shoulder/neck area). Bull was down and dead within site of where i shot from. I know some people have a problem with frontal shots, but if done correctly can be very lethal. My shot was at 15 yrds. I’m prob not taking that shot past 20. Just personal pref.. good luck! I love hunting elk solo, just not the breaking them
Down and packing them out part! Lol...

OP
Topo_trekker
Early tactics I had luck with raking/mating sequences to get them in but was always caught off guard. Moving downwind is a must. A couple of times I was able to get to 20yrds after calling sequence once they gave their location. I would move toward them with timber between us expecting them to step out once I cow called, never happened. Next time, I'll move at them and wait until they turn to leave. I'll be the one to step out and try to stop them for the shot.

I like to call then quickly move down wind of my calling location at least 50 yards at shut up for a while. works best with a quartering wind not one directly in your face.

This^^^^

Chris Roe talks about this....the threshold/doorway(don't remember exactly what his terminology was).....elk will typically come in to where they can/should be able to visually see the cow or bull making the call and stop. This may be at the edge of an opening or within eye sight in timber. More times than not, they will hold up and not come any further if they are curious and not coming to fight. Corey Jacobsen also mentions a similar strategy...moving in a arc downwind in University of Elk.

If the bull sounds off and you are close, I make a cow call and run/move very fast in the direction of the bull to the threshold/doorway area (usually 30-40 yards in timber from where I called) and setup downwind off a trail or direct line to to bull. I had this tactic work very well multiple times.

I do something similar when walking through timber cold calling....call and move ahead approx 30 yards, sit and wait for approx 30 - 45 minutes.

I got tired of bulls quietly coming in and catching me in a stare down and not getting a shot off....they knew exactly from behind which tree the call was coming from even when I stopped calling when they were 100-200 yards out.

Last edited:

big44a4

WKR
Two words...

Tree stand

Might work for some people but others like myself hunt out west to avoid that. Nothing wrong with hunting from a tree stand but not my preference. For me it’s more fun to run and gun even if I blow more opportunities.

frankrb3

WKR
That's a sweet story and an awesome elk. I'm going to try charging in on a bull at least once this fall. I definitely screw myself more often than not trying to sneak in close on them in the timber.

OP
Topo_trekker
Do it. I charged in on 7 bulls this last season and got within 30 yrds every time. I think it's a numbers game, eventually you're gonna get the shot you want. A lot of people lately talk about being able to take longer shots on elk but I think most successful elk hunters get within 30yrds.

Skull10

WKR
I second that sentiment. I hunt Eastern white tail exclusively from a tree stand. I am NOT looking to do that with Elk. I want to be more active while hunting Elk, this is one of the reasons I am going to Colorado this year.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
Topo youre a better man than I am. For a big bull I don't think I could get it done in under 4 trips.

As far as solo, tactics is very area dependent but I hunt more open areas and hunt them like muledeer. I sit my butt down and glass until I turn something up. If its in the morning I put them to bed and will make a stalk if its in a killable spot, if not ill move above them if possible and make a guess as to where I think they will travel once they get up and ambush them at that spot. If its in the evening I shadow them until I can get far enough ahead to find a pinch point I can ambush them at. Much like every other tactic its pretty much all about the wind. I just find that im the least terrible at spot and stalk so that's what I've always tried to do. This only works for me if im in an area I can spot elk and hopefully watch them bed.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patw