Solo archery Elk tactics.

How did you guys pack out solo? I did 3 trips with about 80lbs meat + 1/3 of my gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted a LE tag last year in Utah. Solo, as always. Hunt started mid Aug and elk are quiet. Didn't even carry a bugle, but did have diaphragm as usual. I feel a key to being successful, solo, is proper scouting. Locating the beds, routes to and from feed/water. Bulls are still in bachelor herds when season opens here in Utah so I Sneak in and glass those evening and morning feed areas while beating the thermals and avoiding the wind. This is very remote area and always has bulls. I will add I am on the trail and set up a good hour before day light.
I tagged mine end of evening on 3rd day last year. He died on a side of very steep, and required being tied off to trees to help process him up. It rained the whole time as well- it was a true suck fest, but part of it, and I had everything to take care of him in this condition. I would add that being prepared for all conditions is so vital when solo. You have no one to ask for stuff. It's all on you.

I hauled first load out at about midnight, which was head and horns, cause I couldn't get the head/cape high enough on the cliff we were on- horns in the way. . Had Qtr's and straps hung in trees high enough from coyotes. Came early next day, took one rear and one frt each trip. It was all down hill heavy and coming back up was light. Then went back in for straps, and cleaned up site best I could to conceal what happened the night before :)
Took me 4 trips. Had the hauling out, loaded, been up hill, it would've been 5 trips for me.
2fc67fdfdbd4463ef3e3f063b16a9c3e.jpg

I'm seriously considering finding a dirt tank that can't be driven to and hanging a lock-on this year. I've got a first hunt in the Gila, so I don't expect much activity that Labor Day weekend, and I'll probably be solo those first three days. I'll come back and hunt the last half of the hunt(like the 8th - 13th) and should have a buddy with me that part of the hunt, but neither of us really know much about calling elk. Hopefully some rains start out there soon to green up the grass, fill up the tanks, and keep the forest from burning down!