Need some help, with gear!

Sorry for the lengthy post, I am looking to for gear for my first elk hunt with my longbow the first week of September!
I will be hunting unit 70 and trying to get my gear together but just can’t afford some stuff. So I would like to see if someone can make or help me make a list of must have items that are cheaper and efficient. Coming from the east coast and thick woods I just can’t see spending the money on some of the clothing lines that I would just get ripped to pieces here.
I will be setting my wall tent as a base and having the option to go in 3 nights at a time would be great with a 1 man tent and dehydrated foods.
I have a Easton full bore 5600 pack and optics. But as far as other gear everything is open to change. So if anyone has any info that would help a guy out, please do lol! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RdRdrFan

WKR
Best gear advice I can give you is to take time to figure out what boots fit your feet well and don’t be afraid to drop coin on them if that’s what it takes. A bad boot situation can end (or severely limit) your hunt quicker than just about anything. I’d skimp on just about anything before I go with mediocre boots. I’d rather have a junk pack or tent before I have to deal with junk boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Just make sure you have light enough clothes so you don't get heat stroke and heavy enough clothes so you don't freeze to death, you might wear both on the same day! Figure out a way to keep up to date on the weather, you could use a tarp for the spike camps and keep it simple and cheap. I would recommend though unless your of better than average health and strength that you hunt from the base camp your first trip, and shoot whatever elk you get a chance at, especially with a stick bow! Me and my wife get into elk to some extent every year and we are usually less than 2 miles from the truck. Have a way to get emergency help, Spot or Inreach, they can be rented.

Btaylor

WKR
I had a similar perception of the clothes but caught a sale that had some early season Sitka in elevated for 50% off. I was needing to replace most of my early season stuff anyway and so I ordered it thinking I could use it out west and early season here. It has been shocking to me how well the stuff stands up to our cut overs and especially saw briar. They will not prevent the pokes and scratches that good briar pants will but they show zero signs of the dozens of miles of cutover hiking they have been through.

Well broken in boots would be my first thought. Not that I don't agree with get the best boots you can afford. I didn't have a lot of lead time on my first elk hunt and lacked the budget and time to really break in a pair of boots so I went with my Irish setter snake boots because they are relatively light and after a few deer and turkey seasons were well broken in. Yes they got warm at times but I had no problems with blisters. I carried my alpha bulrlys too but they stayed in the truck.

Don't be afraid to go with what you have and learn from the first trip what your upgrades need to be and in what order.

Especially the first week of September - think layers, with an eye towards some warm weather scenarios as well as cool. Your about as likely to get a severe suburn hunting in a tee-shirt as getting cold that time of year in the mountains. Boots that fit and are comfortable. Depending on you, your build, and the territory your hunting, the boots don't need to be pricey. Early and warm season if I'm not packing in a base camp I'm more likely to go with some light hiking boots rather than my heavier, stiffer boots. Cooler and less sweaty feet, and a half pound plus not hanging on the end of each leg is very nice by the end of the day. Don't feel like you need some expensive tent for your spike. Any light 3 season should do nicely if your thoughtful regarding where you pitch it. A cheap pair of non-cotton pants (cabelas micro-tex for instance) should be about perfect for that time of year if you don't want to spend the money on the elite brands. The elite brands have nice stuff but in most cases its just a luxury not a requirement. Most important is get in good shape and drink lots of fluids while your here. Basically any time your not moving keep sipping water. HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK!

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with what these guys have said. Boots are probably most important. One of the advantages of truck camping is that it gives you a lot of flexibility on your clothing and gear. Try to stay away from cotton and bring clothes that are quick drying. If you only have cotton, bring plenty of backup changes. Once it gets wet, it may be wet for days depending on weather. Other than that, get in shape and have fun.

You have a good pack, sounds like you got good optics. Like others said, buy some good boots. If your feet hurt, blistered or your boots are just uncomfortable, then that will ruin your hunt. Clothes are not that big of a deal, especially if you are car camping. Moisture wicking/fast drying is important. Merino wool is awesome, but expensive. Polyester wicks and dries quickly and can be had cheaper. Some Wal-mart/Academy/Cabelas brand poly shirts and pants work just as good as Kuiu/First Lite/Sitka and at a 1/3 of the cost. My entire outfit that I wear while elk hunting probably only cost me $350, and $250 of that is boots.

ChrisS

WKR
Avoid cotton and look for technical fabrics at discount chains or and/or join the Clymb or steep and cheap. Both can have decent deals and their house brands are pretty good and nearly all high end camo gear is just a camo knock-off of backpacking/mountaineering gear. Doublecheck prices on amazon and make use of codes on Sierra trading post. Check out ebay or the salvation army for wool shirts (size up as a precaution on ebay because most that was probably washed and dried and shrunk). Stop at a DQ and grab a long handled spoon for mountain house. My favorite hunting puffy was $25 at TJ Maxx. I use the hell out of a wool LL Bean guide shirt that I got for $8 at a salvation army.

Get boots that fit your feet (much much more important than price) and you can walk 10 miles in. I had a hunt not ruined, but definitely not very much fun, because I had very nice and very well-regarded boots that were just a wee too tight in width and I didn't really suffer too much until about mile 5 or so.