Unit 700 Montana

Riplip

WKR
Looking for general information on Mt unit 700 archery (798-21), Would like to exchange a few PM's or talk to someone who has hunted the area and/or knows the area well and wouldn't mind sharing some thoughts about access, camping, hunt strategies etc. I have some info on New Mexico, Colorado and some Western MT info that I would be happy to share as well.

Thanks

CC

FNG
Have you ever hunted near that area before? It resembles the badlands. I thought about bow hunting it this year. I have never archery hunted there before. Was there last year for rifle with a friend but he got one on private ground.

OP
Riplip

Riplip

WKR
I hunted east of the there about five years ago in unit 410 so pretty familiar with the landscape, just looking at some potential areas to camp, access and hunt should I draw the archery tag. Was your friend on an outfitted hunt? Thanks

Wapiti1

WKR
I used to hunt antelope and deer north and west of Brusett all way to the UL bend. Last time I was there was about 8 years ago just before the big winter kill and reduction in antelope tags. There is some block management up there along with the BLM and forest service. There were elk in that area, but the archery hunters would push them down to the river into the breaks by the time antelope rolled around. A few would be in the pivots up top as well. There used to be some big deer there, and no one really hunted them. I'd archery hunt the deer in the mornings and evenings, and rifle hunt antelope mid-day. Made for a really fun hunt.

There are a lot of spots to camp off of the county roads on BLM, just don't go below the rim to camp. Stay on top. If it rains, you will be there a few days while the road dries out. Lots of nasty gumbo mud. The roads on top are gravel and used to be in pretty good shape. Once you started down, they might be in good shape, or might be a rutty 2 track mess. Access is OK, but expect a tough pack out. A lot of access is from the top and you will hunt downhill.

There is no pavement north of hwy 200 for the most part.

Jeremy

Hey, just following up on this thread to see how you did? I drew that tag this season and am looking for some advice as well, first time in that area. Hope to hear back from you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk