Wisc Elk Hunt 2018

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is one cheap elk tag for the ones blessed enough to be drawn- wow !!
I thought that too. Seems ridiculous low to recover some of the costs to extablish a herd there. Will be a great value if drawn for sure

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved

McGilvra

Lil-Rokslider
I’m stoked and will be applying. I’m planning on hunting out west for my first elk hunt but how cool if I somehow drew and tagged an elk in my home state?

1:50,000 odds maybe...

So, you’re saying there’s a chance?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are obviously recognized by the RMEF and the DNR enough to be a part of this.

Unfortunately this is not the case. It has NOTHING to do with the RMEF and DNR supporting the GLIFWIC's "enhancement" of the herd. I've worked very closely with the RMEF on the Clam Lake herd for a number of years. This has 100% to do with a state ruling and nothing to do with the "help and support" of the Native American tribes.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah. It's pretty sweet. Till you're 8 miles from a trail head with with 100 of meat on your back. Then it's just a mental game

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PredatorX

WKR
Is it just me or does the WI elk herd seem pretty small in number? We seem to lag pretty far behind KY. WI started the elk intro about 22 years ago. An average of 7% growth to me seems pretty low. Im not sure what the issue is.

SWOHTR

WKR
Is it just me or does the WI elk herd seem pretty small in number? We seem to lag pretty far behind KY. WI started the elk intro about 22 years ago. An average of 7% growth to me seems pretty low. Im not sure what the issue is.

Agreed, and I am surprised about this. I think it might be a little over ambitious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Les 100%. The 5 tags they get were promised and part of the project from the start.
I haven't seen any help or money funneled in from the tribe.
The tag with the best odds is the RMEF tag. Going to be interesting when they announce how raffle works!
Should boost membership across the state!
I think we get one at least for first 5 years.

If I get drawn there is only one bull I'm going after...

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
The Rich outdoors had a great podcast recently with the biologist from Wisconsin talking about this hunt, what led to it, and answers on the questions about how our herd and rehabilitation effort compares to Kentucky. Pretty good listen for anybody who’s interested in the subject. Good luck to everybody who’s applying

I hope you all keep control over the wolves and coyotes.

Best of luck to all of you.

The great lakes population of wolves being re-listed on the the ESP put an end to that. A lot of people don't realize there are more wolves in WI than there are in MT, WY, or ID. MN has more wolves than all 3 combined..

Hopefully all they get from Kentucky is elk. Hopefully they don't use Kentucky's lottery system for elk tags. Kentucky is pure lottery. No bonus points, no preference points. Nothing.

I buy a lottery ticket every time I buy my elk chances. I have the same odds.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sturgeon

WKR
WI is a pure lottery draw for elk. There will never be turnover of the tags like there are with bear or sturgeon which are awarded by preference points. If it were a preference point system those that were not born yet or didn't put in the first year would never have a chance to draw.

NoWiser

WKR
Hopefully all they get from Kentucky is elk. Hopefully they don't use Kentucky's lottery system for elk tags. Kentucky is pure lottery. No bonus points, no preference points. Nothing.

I buy a lottery ticket every time I buy my elk chances. I have the same odds.

And a pure lottery is exactly how they should be awarded. There is nothing good about a point system.

And a pure lottery is exactly how they should be awarded. There is nothing good about a point system.
I disagree. When you hear of guys that have won two tags, and you've never had one, it's very discouraging. I agree that it shouldn't be a preference point system. It should be a bonus point system. Kentucky will never change, because they don't have to. They will continue to sell $40 chances, provided you apply for all four, to 70,000 people and rack in the money.

The western states will be going to the $10 applications pretty soon. Can you imagine the cost of selling and then refunding all those tags. I'm sure the credit card companies love us hunters.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
All states I apply for charge application fees every single one. Points of any kind punish everyone that doesn't start on day one. Utah has a 50% split but my children will never make it to max point pool in the best units in their life time so theyll need to hope they get thier luck from thier mom's side of the family.
It's frustrating when there is more applicants than opportunity but it's equally frustrating to everyone without points.
I disagree. When you hear of guys that have won two tags, and you've never had one, it's very discouraging. I agree that it shouldn't be a preference point system. It should be a bonus point system. Kentucky will never change, because they don't have to. They will continue to sell $40 chances, provided you apply for all four, to 70,000 people and rack in the money.

The western states will be going to the $10 applications pretty soon. Can you imagine the cost of selling and then refunding all those tags. I'm sure the credit card companies love us hunters.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk