Wisc Elk Hunt 2018

My brother just texted me informing me that Wi is having their first ever elk hunt.
10 tags total given out.
I believe he said 6 to resident native American, and 4 to non native American resident.
Is this true?

This would be awesome to hunt elk and know there are only 9 other tags in the area for all seasons combined.
lol

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
That’s pretty cool. Hopefully it’s managed well and can continue to grow.
How big is the herd?
I apply every year for a Michigan tag but the chances are so slim I just figure it’s a 5.00 donation to the dnr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My brother just texted me informing me that Wi is having their first ever elk hunt.
10 tags total given out.
I believe he said 6 to resident native American, and 4 to non native American resident.
Is this true?

This would be awesome to hunt elk and know there are only 9 other tags in the area for all seasons combined.
lol

MN has a hunt with similar number of tags. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s pretty cool. Hopefully it’s managed well and can continue to grow.
How big is the herd?
I apply every year for a Michigan tag but the chances are so slim I just figure it’s a 5.00 donation to the dnr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes this is true, They have 4 for non-native Wisc residents, 1 tag via RMEF raffle and 6 to the Chippewa Tribe.

Very cool to hear. I wish NC would start a lottery elk hunt. But alas, our WRC doesn't want to deal with. They said they would start lottery hunts when there were 200 elk. Then in the next breath they say "we don't really know how many elk there are."

Fishhead

FNG
Not sure if i will apply or not. Opening day is the same as 1st rifle in colorado. Suppose if i get it i could hunt later, but then the whitetail rut heats up...

OP
mfllood3800
My brother said a lot of what is being said here, "I wont get drawn, probably wont put in". Come on guys, Put in, build points. You never know, and maybe 10 years from now it will benefit you if you have "Mx" points. You get to be in on something that is the ground floor. I would be on it for sure.
The elk are in certain areas only I heard?

Seems it would be easier to locate the herds, there, than the vast wildernesses of the west.

I have hunted some of the areas there in Wisc, about 34 years ago lol

I hope you all keep control over the wolves and coyotes.

Best of luck to all of you.

OP
mfllood3800
True story:
I was deer hunting near Tomohawk, Wi many many many moons ago.
I was walking an old logging road heading into a near by swamp with some good pine tree dry areas. I sat to take a break and the prettiest native American girl I ever saw came walking thru with her rifle. I was instantly in love.
Lol

I am glad they are allowing the NA to have access to some tags. The heritage is deep for them and I am glad they are getting special treatment.
Lets hope the herds increase and do well so the tag numbers increase over the years.

lcxctf2000

Lil-Rokslider
The DNR Biologist is predicting a 100% harvest rate. Sounds like a good population of healthy bulls with one that they said is 18 years old.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes, Wisconsin is having an Elk hunt. They have had a lot of problems with their Elk herd, predators, bear and wolf, have caused a lot of casualties. They are getting some elk (150 over 4-5 years) from Kentucky and hoping to up the numbers. The plan is to have 1400 in the Clam Lake region and 390 in the Black River Falls area( there are 26 in Black River Falls presently). I'll be applying.

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
Yes, Wisconsin is having an Elk hunt. They have had a lot of problems with their Elk herd, predators, bear and wolf, have caused a lot of casualties. They are getting some elk (150 over 4-5 years) from Kentucky and hoping to up the numbers. The plan is to have 1400 in the Clam Lake region and 390 in the Black River Falls area( there are 26 in Black River Falls presently). I'll be applying.

My dad lived in Clam Lake in an old cabin, and ran a trap line.
I wish he was still around to see this.

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t wait to apply! Again, odds are going to be ridiculously slim and I will be chalking it up as a donation, but what if…

OP
mfllood3800
Do your points carry over if not drawn?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Do your points carry over if not drawn?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I haven't heard anything about Points yet, but at 63 I don't have to worry about that😂. It costs $10 to apply and if you draw another $49 for the tag. As others have said 4 tags to residents, one to RMEF to raffle and 5 to the Chippewa Tribes. There are about 200 elk in the huntable area and 10 Bulls can be taken. May 1st you can start applying.

Brado16

WKR
True story:
I was deer hunting near Tomohawk, Wi many many many moons ago.
I was walking an old logging road heading into a near by swamp with some good pine tree dry areas. I sat to take a break and the prettiest native American girl I ever saw came walking thru with her rifle. I was instantly in love.
Lol

I am glad they are allowing the NA to have access to some tags. The heritage is deep for them and I am glad they are getting special treatment.
Lets hope the herds increase and do well so the tag numbers increase over the years.

As someone who lives in the area, I could not disagree more. The natives have done little to anything for conservation for Wisconsin's Clam Lake Elk Heard but still are allocacted 50% of the tags by the Feds.... I imagine by mid October we will see more stories like this:

Moose shot and killed in Lac du Flambeau - The Lakeland Times - Minocqua, Wisc.

OP
mfllood3800
The Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest works with partners like the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Great Lakes Indian Fish and Wildlife Commission and the Wisconsin DNR to enhance and support the Clam Lake elk herd.

My argument is not who deserves the tags more.
They are obviously recognized by the RMEF and the DNR enough to be a part of this.

OP
mfllood3800
I haven't heard anything about Points yet, but at 63 I don't have to worry about that😂. It costs $10 to apply and if you draw another $49 for the tag. As others have said 4 tags to residents, one to RMEF to raffle and 5 to the Chippewa Tribes. There are about 200 elk in the huntable area and 10 Bulls can be taken. May 1st you can start applying.

That is one cheap elk tag for the ones blessed enough to be drawn- wow !!

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425