Wyoming General Elk Unit 9/10

jsnow

FNG
My son and I drew General elk tags this year and I'm planning to go scout unit 9 and 10 in early September. I've hunted Colorado many times but never Wyoming. Anyone have any knowledge or tips for that area? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jsnow

wyosteve

WKR
Not a lot of help, but as you've probably seen, both areas have difficult public assess. Much is private ranch land which controls access to public areas. Also, lots of open prairie in the units. My neighbor hunted there 3 years ago and did not kill an elk. Good luck.

Wellsdw

WKR
I went through there some last year, and after hunting north side of the state for deer, to do some scouting for a tag this year, (that I failed to draw) May have a spot in 9 to look, if you don’t mind thick timber. It’s not much but something. Probably a place to look early sept. I could use some direction in CO. Pm me

wytx

WKR
No sure how you say difficult access, you get half of the NF in 9&10. Lots of elk, look for closed off roads and don't be afraid to check out the other areas on that general tag in the Snowies.
Bring your bow in Sept, pick up an archery license and hunt while scouting.
Yes lots of blowdown but that's all over Wyoming.
I live in Laramie so I may have some info if you have questions.
No need to mess with private land on that general tag, the forest has plenty of spots to hunt.

reelnmn

FNG
I live in Cheyenne and spent a good bit of time scouting 9/10 and other general areas in the Snowies last year. It sounds like you and your son are planning a rifle hunt, and the Sept trip is just for scouting? I also recommend you pick up an archery stamp and hunt/scout at the same time. Beginning of Sept could mean screaming bulls and would be a lot less pressure.

If you are dead set on an October hunt expect tremendous pressure during the rifle hunt. 9/10 are both the closest OTC elk units for residents living in Cheyenne and Laramie. Expect ATVs/trucks to start riding roads at 5am or earlier. Let me know if you have more questions

OP
J

jsnow

FNG
Yes, rifle hunting in October and scouting in September was the original plan but the archery idea makes sense. Will i have any luck getting away from the crowd by getting 2 or 3 miles off the road? Do I need to look in 11 or 110 or will I find the same pressure there as well?

HOT ROD

WKR
U wont find many people in unit 11 since its a draw unit... I don't know any thing about 110 but it would probably be safe to say... There will be quite a few rifle hunters... Get away from the roads in sum nasty stuff.. And U probably will find sum elk....

Rockey

FNG
Varying degrees of environment with lots of access from all side of those two units, yes there is blow down but when you have this much beetle kill, that is to be expected. You will encounter other hunters no doubt, because those two units are big SE Wyoming General Units. Elk are prevalent throughout the unit, with best luck when you venture off the county roads, which some people just don't do. I am sure WYTX can give you some access points, or I could as well, just to help out a fellow Rokslider!! You will have a good hunt I am sure, good luck to you jsnow.

wytx

WKR
You have access to every unit in the Snowies except area 11 with that general tag. Rifle hunting will be hectic and finding a spot 2-3 miles from a road is hard to do. However, like stated, road hunters will be out in force. Best option is finding a nice travel area in the timber and letting the masses push the elk to you.
Archery hunting is much more relaxed, still lots of hunters but you can get away from people to call. The farther west you go the less pressure from weekend local hunters out of Laramie and Cheyenne. Lots of locals set up camps and hunt the weekends, opening day will be busy.

PM sent