Anyone know West Elk Wilderness in GMU 54 Colorado?

DIY Lifer

FNG
I am considering hunting the wilderness with a backpack in GMU 54. Does anyone know if that wilderness is highly populated with hunters and what the elk opportunity is like for archery? I have been told by the game and fish office in Gunnison that there is 0 snow fall this year so far. How will that affect this wilderness area? I am a Colorado native and I am used to hunting around GMU 48.

ndbuck09

WKR
I would be the state of colorado posts how many archery hunters there were in each unit. They do in idaho. This would give you a good handle on the number of hunters.

The wilderness is very big country. If you're off trails I'd be willing to bet you'll not have to worry about running into people.

OP
D

DIY Lifer

FNG
Thank you guys for the reply. Now that I am looking I do see other posts. Yes it is a busy area from what it seems. Guess I will have to go farther then anyone else or pick a more remote location in another Unit. Maybe just packing into this area's wilderness is not enough. Its always a challenge starting in a new area.

Thank you guys for the reply. Now that I am looking I do see other posts. Yes it is a busy area from what it seems. Guess I will have to go farther then anyone else or pick a more remote location in another Unit. Maybe just packing into this area's wilderness is not enough. Its always a challenge starting in a new area.

It always amazes me in units that have significant wilderness areas, how 95% hunters drive right through very elky areas just to get to the wilderness area. Yep - big herds might hang in the wilderness area, but hunters drive 8-10 miles through/by lots of onesy-twosy opportunities on the rush to get into the wilderness and compete with the other 95% for the bigger herds. Just a general observation (insert pic of Kermit drinking his tea here.....).

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking into the same area last year and from the responses I got here and my research it sounds like its pretty steep ground in there however it does get a lot of traffic especially at the trail heads as usually. Other than hunters though there are a lot of hikers in the unit especially when the aspen's are changing color and with the "castles" formation in the unit. I ended up going somewhere else but wish you the best of luck, the stats show the elk are in there.

Also you mentioned packing in farther than everyone else, there are trailheads on almost every side of this unit so you might have to worry about meeting others from different trailheads. Also there were a few guides in the area as well as horse trailers on google maps. Not an expert so take this with a grain of salt, but hunt smarter rather than harder. Others have some good advice in this post. Good luck

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
Have any of you that have elk hunted the unit ever seen any big deer? I am considering applying for a 3rd season deer tag in this unit this year.

mproberts

WKR
They are there, just not sure where they will be by 3rd season. I'm sure some locals would have a better idea, I just know during sept archery they were about as high as you could physically get.

RunNGun

FNG
I was in 54 last year for 2nd rifle and I was blown away at how many people were hunting there, even deep in the wilderness. Compared to the last time I hunted the unit 5 years ago, the quality of elk seems to have gone down as the number of hunters has gone up. It's hard to get deep enough to get away from everyone. Outfitter camps and drop camps also dot the wilderness, so you'll have to compete with those folks also. Not sure what it's like during archery season but I imagine that it being OTC for archery it would be similar.

TR909

FNG
Both hunters and hikers. Although I'd say more hikers than hunters. Fall was so warm and lasted forever last year. It was very inviting for all types of recreators.

AZhuntdoc

FNG
Looking at this area for 2021 archery. I’m sure it’ll be packed like every other otc but worth a shot

I drew a bull moose tag for 54 this year! If any of you fine elk hunters have some intel on moose that you are willing to share, please let me know. Josh.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t think going farther will yield the results you’re looking for! I’ve been 8 miles from my truck and the last 4 off trail yet I’ve had dudes camp within 100 yards of us. This is no longer the case going further and deeper to get rid of pressure, it just doesn’t happen. You’d have better luck finding somewhere right off a road and hiking a mile in any direction. , I’d bet that would yield better results. I’m not saying animals aren’t back there but you’ll have to get creative using pressure to help you.