SPOT Rental

jb1842

FNG
Heading out to Colorado for my 2nd elk hunt this year. There is a chance I may be going solo. I’m looking into renting a SPOT or similar satellite tracker in case things go bad. Anybody here rent one or would I be better off just buying one?

I have moved on from my SPOT to an InReach. I’d sell it very cheap (in perfect condition) but don’t know the process to switch ownership. Anybody transferred one to another party? Thanks!

I'm not sure if there is a service that rents them. Another option would be to buy an inreach, activate it for the month you plan to hunt, then deactivate it and sell it here on the classifieds.

Personally, I'd just buy the InReach and be done with it. And if you've got a wife/girlfriend that's worried about you going solo, make her buy it. That's what I did :D

OP
J

jb1842

FNG

Jimss

WKR
My preference would be an InReach over a Spot. If you don't need to text the Spot would work fine but in an emergency it would be better having an InReach to text. You can likely pick up a spot or inreach on ebay or craigslist for a reasonable price. I've used inreach in Alaska and it worked fantastic. You can sometimes get ok iPhone reception in some places in Colo but I wouldn't count on it. I bring my cell phone for pics and can sometimes get reception.

With that said it would be great if there was an all in one gps, onxmaps, camera, aerial maps, satellite text messaging, etc all in one package rather than having to carry one of each! Maybe this is possible? If it's not available now I'm sure it won't be long and someone will have it!

Inreach plan that you can turn on and off is the way to go....had mine for 2 years now and saves a lot of worries on the home front...Last year in Idaho it gave us a piece of mind as well

OP
J

jb1842

FNG
I don't hunt enough in places where I would need it to justify buying a unit. There's a good chance it might be another 10 years until I get back out west, and by then the unit will be outdated.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buy one used here in the classifieds then resell after your hunt. It's probably cheaper but the biggest upside is you'll have it longer and can learn how to use all the functions properly

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Lower Gear Backpacking center ( Camping, Backpacking and Kayak Retail Store in Arizona. Rentals Shipped Nationwide! )
Spot2 gen transmitter will get through cloud cover and canopy a lot easier than an inreach in my experience. One positive to it. Its a wash when it comes to renting and buying for the most part. Its close to 80$ if i remember right, when renting. With all of the texting my wife does, the price goes up with the inreach. Especially if you start to share it with your hunting buddies and their family members.

If you have more trips planned throughout the year or just want to use it all fall, buying is the way to go. If its just for the one trip, renting would be a better fit.

Brianb3

WKR
There’s lots of places you can rent sat phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like others have said buy an inreach with the plan to resell it. I sold 2 units on here for a fair price very quickly. Its nice to have the texting capability.

Dusty2426

WKR
Heading out to Colorado for my 2nd elk hunt this year. There is a chance I may be going solo. I’m looking into renting a SPOT or similar satellite tracker in case things go bad. Anybody here rent one or would I be better off just buying one?

If you don’t come up with one and I’m not on a hunt same time you can borrow mine. Just sits in pack when I’m not out anyway

7Bartman

WKR
I had the same conundrum this past yeah in Idaho. I rented a Sat phone for about $150 for the week.

Shraggs

WKR
I have both. Spot gets loaned out to,partner. I use in reach for hunt8ng. Zero questions about that for me...

Alone, solo. I want two communication. No way I’d let comparatively little money with spot. A minor emergency that is not search and rescue is manageable with two way texting -not so with spot.

Spot only has annual fee think it’s around $160a year now plus rental or purchase so 200-220 total cost. Used or new discounted inreach we $240 plus $25 for one month activation.

I relegate mynspot mostly open water use when I’m on Lake Michigan fishing far off shore to get some use out the ridiculous high fees.

John

amp713

WKR
I'll sell mine as well if you wanna just buy one. Some people don't think it's worth a yearly payment but I throw mine in the wife's jeep when she is driving over the mountains, I take it with us on fishing trips or hiking or just when we go out for a drive. Never know when you'll come across someone in trouble and can help them out

DuaneZ

FNG
I rented an In reach in 2016 for a solo sheep hunt in CO. Very easy to use and set up. I rented it from Outdoor Equipment Rental 201-477-0217. They were very helpful. I am technologically challenged and even I could figure it out.

If you are near a cabela’s I’d pop in time to time and check the bargain cave. I got a floor model inreach for like $220 I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jb1842

FNG
Thanks for all the replies. I'm just going to rent one for now unless I find a good one on sale.