Hunting choices centered around Fraser.

fishstu

FNG
Newbies - We plan to do a 3 DIY week hunt centered around Fraser – starting at the beginning of bow season. GMU units in that area are 18, 28, 29, 38 & 38. Still trying to figure out if it makes sense to get packed in and be “stuck” in one location and/or try different GMU for a week or so. The plans is to be out there for 5 days and come back to showers and a real bed for a day or so and repeat. Maybe GMU hunt better at different time?
Any general advice – information is appreciated

If you have 3 weeks to hunt I sure would plan to have some option for mobility as opposed to being parked in one location by a packer. I think that if you go are in a location for 5 days and don't get into elk you should plan to move locations since you are heading back to town at that point anyway.

I think if you had access to a packer for a week, that would be great. If you didn't find one then, I'd do as the guy above suggests and move to another area. In three weeks, I'd shoot to her about +/- 10 drainages.

xziang

WKR
I like above idea go with a packer for a week and skirt off from basecamp X amount of time you are with the packer. Then after that if you aren't seeing anything move elsewhere. If you ARE seeing something try and work something out with the outfitter.

29 is draw, so you won't need to focus on it. Plus, it's on the other side of the divide. I know that area well. I'd stay mobile, and I'd bring the big glass. The elk will be high and you could glass right out of Fraser with good glass ja! Bring your big boy attitude and be ready to climb.

OP
F

fishstu

FNG
Many Thanks for your replies - Lots of good ideas - I can't wait to get there - its the advanture and if we get one, well that would fantastic.

I like the idea of using optics to scout from Fraser. A brew pub with a out door beer garden and scenic panorama views would work. When we see a bunch of elk up on the moutain we can just drive up and bag one :).