Here we go, another when to hunt archery elk thread!

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I know, but bare with me. So our options are the week of 9/8 to 9/15 with the moon phase looking good, or the following week of 9/15 to 9/23 with the moon phase getting fuller by the day. Thoughts and advice for a rookie archery elk hunter? This is central Montana.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I had to pick 3 days to hunt archery elk it would be 19-21 ever year regardless of moon phase...one or all these days historically have been incredible days of bugling👍 That being said elk often don’t cooperate according to the days we believe things should happen 😁

4rcgoat

WKR
Yeah I know, but bare with me. So our options are the week of 9/8 to 9/15 with the moon phase looking good, or the following week of 9/15 to 9/23 with the moon phase getting fuller by the day. Thoughts and advice for a rookie archery elk hunter? This is central Montana.

For what it's worth, I'm not too far south of central Montana, last year the elk were hot and vocal by the second week of September, by the third weekend they had gone almost silent. Guess you never can tell.

10ringer

WKR
Arrowed my bull 9/20 last year so I’m a bit partial to that date going forward. Elk activity was best early evening (about 4 -5 pm). In the area I was hunting the elk were moving to bed long before sun rise. Good luck and Try to focus on the entire experience not just the harvest. I heard that 100x before my first elk trip and it only made sense on the drive home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nidaho

FNG
I like opening day and then the 9-12 and then 20-23 those dates seem to always be good where I live.

You said you're a rookie, but anyone going with you who isn't? Known area or brand new? Bulls seem to always bugle better later in September in most Western states.

If you have good intel on an area known to have elk, your first option would be good. No intel, going in blind, I want them making noise. I'd go the second week you posted.

BuzzH

WKR
I think it depends on several factors, but IME, I've always liked to hunt any time I get a chance. This whole moon phase, weather, is just all crap. Elk don't disappear when the moon is full, the weather is hot, windy. I think lots of people just look for excuses not to go and reasons why they fail. If I had to wait for the "perfect" moon phase, perfect weather, etc. etc. I probably wouldn't get a chance to hunt more than a couple days a year.

I found this raghorn in early September and watched him fight another bull just a little smaller, and take 20 or so cows with him. I shot just over the bull he fought. I had to head to work and a friend saw him again on about the 8th of September and he had lost all but a couple cows. I got back from work and on the 13th of September and made a run at a different bull right at daylight. That bull was a very heavy old 6 point, probably in that 340 range. It didn't work out. About 10 AM or so, while walking back to the truck with my Dad and Brother...heard a bull bugle. It bugled again and sounded much closer and moving uphill toward us. We didn't call, just let the bull keep coming. I finally got a glimpse of him at about 100 yards, working up the edge of some heavy lodgepoles. He walked just slightly past us and I arrowed him at 30 yards and ended up being the bull I had seen fight about 10 days prior.

Point being, I couldn't tell you what the moon phase was, couldn't tell you what the temperature was, don't really care and never have. IME, the best time to hunt is every chance you get...and being in the woods all day increases odds even more.

Said raghorn:

575.JPG

Another look:

558.JPG

You figure it all out let us know!! Last year we drove 24 hours round trip south of Glacier in MT by Scapegoat. Pulled in to meet horse packer and entire unit was just closed with mandatory evacuation due to fires. 10 days later they had 2 feet of snow. Never did hunt elk.

You just need to roll the dice......

I'm not sure it's an option with your dates but I'd pick September 12-19. I think either of your options could be good though. The later week you mentioned should have the bulls cowed up by then.

jmez

WKR
I'd got the second set of dates. We've hunted Central MT for the last 6 years and have better luck later.

jmez

WKR
It doesn't for us. I actually prefer some pressure from other hunters when I go, but that's another conversation.

Weather is a big factor in central MT for us. It is hot in the early season. I don't get much enjoyment out of hunting in 85+ degree temps. A couple weeks in Sept can make a big difference. Elk also seem to be more active where we go later in the month.

OP
G

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Last time I did this was 2013, it snowed for 4 days, I was totally miserable not to mention soaking wet. That trip was the reason I bought a backpackable tent with a wood stove. Looking back on that trip I went in on the 12th, I was into elk pretty good.

OP
G

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Im not a complete newbie, this will be my third archery hunt for elk, 8 Elk hunt all together, maybe rookie was a poor choice of words, but Im most certainly not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Riplip

WKR
Anyone have any specific experience with later archery hunts in central Montana? May hunt a little in early season but planning on majority of my time spent Sept 30th on. MT season goes through Oct 14th. Will be on private for the later hunt, not a lot of pressure.