Longevity of a diaphragm call?

Huntinman57

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious what the longevity of a diaphragm call is? I Have been practicing for basically 2 months and at lest a few minutes a day. One seems to have lost its high end and the other sounds like it’s sputtering a little on occasion. I thought maybe it was me and my pressure being inconsistent but popped a new one in and all is good. So is that normal life span? Is that how you know they are worn out? New to calling so sorry for the dumb question

jmez

WKR
That is about right for daily use. They don't last real long if you use them much. I replace all mine that I use every season.

TheCougar

WKR
I’ve had some that lost the high end pretty quickly and some that just keep on going. Same model, just different batch maybe. I have learned not to leave it in the truck. That kills them pretty quickly.

Good on ya for practicing every day for two months! Keep it up. I'm sure they are getting worn out after that much use. I also start with new ones each season.

oldgoat

WKR
Anecdotally it seems to me the ones with colored latex versus the opaque whitish latex last longer. Different grade of latex maybe? Also how you store them is supposed to matter, think UV rays deteriorate them. I've had some that seem to crap out first day and some last all season, always have a couple of spares with me.

elkyinzer

WKR
Seems about right. Back about 5 years ago gearing up for my first elk hunt, I had a batch that the latex would last about 2 hours then loosen up and be useless. I assume it was a bad batch of latex. These were the Jacobsens calls, forget what the brand is called. It was actually my first set of diaphragms and I was pretty peeved about it and thought they were all junk. For whatever reason I ordered another batch the next year and they were fine. I get a few months practice out of them and only go through one or two over a hunt.

OP
Huntinman57

Huntinman57

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys it’s the info I was looking for. I’m new to calling so i needed to start so I was proficient in sept. I record myself and play it back over and over. I feel pretty good about it now when I started I sounded like T rex, now I sound pretty good if I could only make sure I knew what I was saying seems there’s about 3 different bugles and cow calls all meaning different things.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys it’s the info I was looking for. I’m new to calling so i needed to start so I was proficient in sept. I record myself and play it back over and over. I feel pretty good about it now when I started I sounded like T rex, now I sound pretty good if I could only make sure I knew what I was saying seems there’s about 3 different bugles and cow calls all meaning different things.

IDK if I by into the whole different meaning of the different sounds like some say. What I have seen in the field are more different sounds as the intensity levels change or desperation within the herd dynamics. Like cows get more whiney/pledging when there not being listened too and so on.

Just my opinion! Right or wrong I don't over think it trying to say what some say they want to hear or need to hear. You're much better off just mimicking the bulls once you get a response from a locate or your cow call IMHO

OP
Huntinman57

Huntinman57

Lil-Rokslider
IDK if I by into the whole different meaning of the different sounds like some say. What I have seen in the field are more different sounds as the intensity levels change or desperation within the herd dynamics. Like cows get more whiney/pledging when there not being listened too and so on.

Just my opinion! Right or wrong I don't over think it trying to say what some say they want to hear or need to hear. You're much better off just mimicking the bulls once you get a response from a locate or your cow call IMHO

Thanks for the input

lacseul

FNG
I thought the same thing, until I was in elk. Then my calling was harder to do - IDK its hard to explain. More practice the better!