Would You Hunt Elk in July??

Bulldawg

WKR
If you were given the opportunity to chase Bull Elk in velvet in July would you jump on it? Would you chase bulls in alfalfa fields, not a wilderness based hunt but a chance to get another elk hunt during the year during a time when there isn't really any hunting going on.

I've seen a couple opportunities out there and trying to weigh my options.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Sounds like a meat hunt to me........sure, I do some of those but not in July. As far as chasing bulls around an alfalfa field though.....that doesn't really spark any interest in me.

Jbehredt

WKR
If I had a couple empty freezers in my circle of friends.... maybe. Otherwise I’d pass, a trophy for me is made in the pursuit not easy antlers on the wall.

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
I've killed cows during early august hunts and the meat is much much better during the early season, so that's a plus. I do know that these hunts are no walks in the park. The areas flat, and getting close to the elk can be challenging. It would be easier in the fact that it is private land so it's not being hunted as much as public land is, but the season is open nearly year round so these elk aren't Estes Park by any stretch. I hope that this can come through because these hunts are also List B, so I can go archery hunting or rifle hunting later on in the season as well.

Swede

WKR
Sure, but I would not take a mature cow. Depredation or not, I do not want to kill a month old calf. My choice would be a young bull.

In a heart beat,

Think about this
Won’t be at work
Won’t be listening to the home boss
Won’t be stuck in traffic to or from work
Won’t be on Rokslide because you are bored with Sumer time blue
Won’t be entertaining kids

Alfalfa elk meat is gooddddddd, it’s a meat hunt!!!! go hunt yummmmyyyyyy meat.

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
That alfalfa would make the meat pretty dang good. I would probably just shoot the first one I think would look good in the freezer and call it good

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk

Yep. I like the chase but, I'm sure this would involve more then just culling your choice animal. Prey Animals have the knack of knowing when they are being preyed upon. And, act accordingly.

10 years ago I got drew for a early muzzleloader hunt on observatory grounds. I thought it would be a slam dunk since it was restricted from public access. Besides, who doesn't need a little early season deer meat? Well, the hunt had been taking place for about 10 years. The deer were on to the plan. You had to show up 1.5 hours before daylight and get drawn for your hunt area. They didn't allow you in the fields either. Each area was flagged off and given the appropriate number of hunters per woods size. I saw over 200 hundred deer that day. All but two were in the fields. Just laying there out in the wide open with no care in the world. Stayed there all day. I finally moved back into the woods deeper at 2 pm where I got lucky. Of the three of us that went in my group, I was the only one to harvest a deer.

IF those elk hunts have been going on a while, it ain't going to be easy. So, I'd do it in a second. God Bless

Beendare

WKR
Sounds like a shoot...not a hunt.

Why would anyone shoot a bull that is only partially grown in July? Those have to be cow hunts right?

sndmn11

WKR
List B licenses are necessary for many reasons. I genuinely doubt that the tag is "a shoot", and would venture to guess you will find some cagey whitetail-like elk that will give you a run for your money.

Elk know when they're being hunted. Idaho has at least one similar hunt that I know of, it starts Aug 1st. There are a few big bulls killed in the alfalfa fields very early in the hunt, but it gets really difficult really fast. About the time the second primer pops on opening day the elk dissappear and go largely nocturnal. I've hunted it once and was successful. The meat was the best elk I've had to date. Like my grandpa used to say, "cattle and elk always taste better when they're on the gain."
I would probably not try that hunt again. Don't get me wrong, it's plenty challenging, I just hate hunting in 90° heat.