Dirt Bike into and OUT of Elk Country

mchrist4

FNG
I'm moving to Boise for a new job. With the move (and getting married this Summer) I'm going to have zilch for pto this season. However, that is why I'm moving to Idaho, to have monster elk waiting behind every tree in my backyard. Because I'll only have weekends to hunt this year, I can't afford to spend precious hours packing in and out. My ideas to counter this are: 1) hunt a unit close to Boise this season 2) Target areas within 2 miles of major road 3) Target areas within 2 miles of a dirt bike trail

I like the idea of Option 3 :) But I would hate to get back from a weekend hunt and find my dirt bike was stolen. Has anyone hunted this way before? If so, what have you done to put your mind at rest while out hunting?

I can think of: bring a chain and chain it to a tree. Hide it off in the woods. Put camo plastics on it (lol). Remove the sparkplug.

Any other ideas? Any good/bad experiences stashing your dirt bike?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do and have had no issues over 15 yrs I do carry a lock to wrap through the wheels if gone multiple days I will say riding bike with elk quarters on rooted rutted rocky wet narrow trails creates a pucker factor👍😁This gear down TTR has seen a lot of elk quarters:)

attachment.php

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
The dirt bike trails i have walked on in Idaho would make Travis Pastrana nervous. Before my fist year out there and scouting i though that i would be able to walk on those trails but so many are not even maintained that walking on them is interesting.

OP
M

mchrist4

FNG
Yeah, I can imagine. I'll have the summer to scout and feel it out. Buddy of mine did an Idaho mule deer hunt with his dirt bike last year. He said the same thing, pretty sketchy at times, really sketchy under a load, and he is a good rider.

davsco

WKR
taking a fall with rifle, antlers, knives etc probably won't be real pretty or fun... but riding is always fun!

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Riding with a pack/load is a lot harder then I thought it would be. Add to that sketchy trails and you need to be on your game. I use my TW200 to get off the beaten path when possible on motorcycle trails and it does help. If I go any distance, I make sure I have someone riding with me.

i-89DwXSK-L.jpg

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I had a TW200 just like that a few years ago. Her name was Titanium Tina. She broke my foot and I sold her to the glue factory. Bought a four wheeler after that. I ride in and spike camp per the OHV restrictions in Idaho. If you're in a ways and it rains...good luck. Would be a good idea to have a set of tire cables to help in that situation.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
I had a TW200 just like that a few years ago. Her name was Titanium Tina. She broke my foot and I sold her to the glue factory. Bought a four wheeler after that. I ride in and spike camp per the OHV restrictions in Idaho. If you're in a ways and it rains...good luck. Would be a good idea to have a set of tire cables to help in that situation.

I typically don't hunt motorized area's, mostly wilderness on foot. There are quite a few areas that don't allow 4 wheelers or UTV's, but you can take a bike in. Actually try and avoid OHV areas like the plague, but the bike does help get you into some areas quicker. Rain during early season archery hunts....man that would be nice.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
We always bring a chain and lock. Haven't had any problems with people messing with it while chained up. Make sure you lock up your ramp too or put it in the cab of the truck.

OP
M

mchrist4

FNG
Good point! Rain or snow on a rutted out muddy trail riding a dirt bike would be pretty hairy way to pack out an elk! Specially solo!! haha. I love dirt biking and I love elk hunting, but age and responsibility I think will help me find a balance for the two :) I've got a half dozen or so places picked out so far that would be great for a dirt-bike-in weekend elk hunt (or so it seems on google earth). This summer and early fall I'll be looking to get tires and boots on the ground to figure out what's practical.

OP
M

mchrist4

FNG
Good to know, that's what I was thinking. Chain and lock and leave nothing in the bed. I've never left my bike in the woods for days on end, so it's good to hear from people that it's safe. I think it's safe to say that the dirt bike thief running around the backcountry with a blow torch is a figment of my imagination :)

I'd recommend some kind of pannier system to haul gear and meat. Getting some of the weight off your back and onto the bike (as low as possible) makes a huge difference.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Good to know, that's what I was thinking. Chain and lock and leave nothing in the bed. I've never left my bike in the woods for days on end, so it's good to hear from people that it's safe. I think it's safe to say that the dirt bike thief running around the backcountry with a blow torch is a figment of my imagination :)
The dirt bike thief with a set of bolt cutters isn't a figment though. He's the same jerk stealing trail cameras. Locks just keep the honest guys honest.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What kind of a bike are you riding? If you can find a rack for it do it because riding with weight on your back is totally different than just riding single track. I bought a BW 200 to use for hunting purposes and I leave the big bike at home. During the summer just throw a 50lb salt block on a pack frame and see how you like riding those trails with it on your back, when you have had enough you can just drop it and give the animals a treat! I swear its easier to just walk than try and ride.

I would not be to concerned with someone poaching you bike out in the wood but if you are worried, just put a master lock on your rear brake rotor. Its far more likely to disappear if you leave it in camp and some guys drive by and see it and throw it in their truck.

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
Rode out with my bull this year, first trip out, pack weighed 90 pounds. So sketchy haha, after hiking 3 miles back up to the bike then riding out 13 miles, legs were beyond gone! However, the dirtbike is my secret weapon for getting back to the goods. After we shoot one, ill take the prime cuts out with me on the bike, then come back in with the 4 legged creatures to finish the job.

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
One year I took an '87 XR600R with my son (7 at the time I think) and our two external frame packs and my bow (he rode on the front with his pack on his lap, so very hard for me to steer) out some gnarly singletrack up the East Fork of the Salmon River. We had a ball, but didn't get an elk on that trip. I didn't realize just how crazy I was until I told some guys at work who truly believed I was mistaken on where I actually went. They thought that trail was barely passable riding solo. My point is that your capability as a rider means more than what any of us can say is (or isn't) doable. I have quite a bit of experience riding, but that tractor of an XR was to thank for a lot of it.

I absolutely love having a dirt bike to get me around when hunting. I can cover way more miles in way less time. That said, I've never actually killed an elk within 2 miles of where I parked the bike. I have, however, packed out meat (at least part of the way) on dirt bikes and found it to be a chore with the weight being carried so high. I think part of the difficulty was from my fatigue after a long day of hiking, then packing meat on foot for a bit. I'd say more trips with less weight works better for me.

I've never known of anyone having a dirt bike stolen while hunting, but Idaho is seeing more and more sketchy characters these days. I never lock my bike, just try to stash it behind some sort of cover. I might use the padlock on the rotor idea though!

Also, look into the Motor Vehicle Restriction for some of Idaho's units. In some areas it's illegal to hunt off a motorized vehicle unless you're on a road designated open for full sized vehicles.

Enjoy Idaho!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

chindits

WKR
You just got to pace yourself on a bike too. I don't dig monster loads and will do multiple trips to avoid a heavy load. Momentum is a bitch if you want your bike going one way and your upper body weight is going the other way. And yes I stick to a pack on my back so I can work around contingencies like mechanical failure or gnarl that needs to be walked through not to mention narrow slots. Also when you aren't up on the pegs your pack frame will rest on your seat so there isn't a lot of weight on your shoulders. On the plus side of momentum it seems that I am always riding downhill with a load to get out rather than uphill, so just control your slides in the loose stuff and know where the tree crossings are.

I never had a person mess with my bike, but cattle can be a pain so make sure your fuel petcock is turned off and try to lean it up on a tree or rock. One of my bikes has an ignition key and electric start so snow and ice turned into an issue one year. A smart person would have covered the ignition up prior to parking it for a few days, but I just had to piss on it. My other bike with no ignition key is a 2 stroke that doesn't like to run slow for long, but it has managed a few rear elk 1/4s but I wouldn't say it had a responsive throttle right after that. I wouldn't ride a good rack out though, but that's just my value system.