Thick brush hunting?

Cdpp880

WKR
I am new to elk hunting!!! Went on a hunt last year in Utah but did not have a tag, just scouted for my buddy’s that did and learned the area. Any way I am going back this year with a tag and had a few questions. Last year I found an area with an absolutely enormous amount of elk sign in an area that was very thick. This spot was up pretty high and well away from any roads and I believe it to be where they go to hide. I know there were plenty of elk in there (heard plenty and tons of very fresh sigh). But the entire mountain is so thick. Like farthest visibility on the entire mountain was around 70yards. Hunt will be in October and I have been told by guys that have hunted the area that they will not respond to calling that time of year. How would y’all recommend hunting an area like this.
Thanks

Find a frequently used route of travel. Maybe a good fork where multiple game trails connect on a saddle. Find out what the winds like and you can sit it with good wind direction. Water can work too, but I usually assume water is being pressured by other hunters.

A camera is a good investment for this to get a read of when elk cross areas.

The calling is an interesting one. You can for sure call some elk in any time of the year if it makes them curious enough. They can be rutting hard in October. No doubt that you can call a bull in with the right approach and even more so in thick country. Just always play the wind.

They're loud animals, so you can get away with a lot of noise. You'd be amazed how close you can walk to an elk snapping sticks and cow calling.

I'd 1. pick a new state or just use Utah as a backup. Go to CO or MT or ID. Utah general is just bad, about as bad as it gets for general hunts. Lower success rates, smaller bulls, and more hunters IME and talking to Utah hunting buddies.

2. Id pick a glassable area. Randy Newberg suggests glassing is most effective for post-rut bulls. I agree from my hunts. He flat out doesn't hunt areas where he can't glass for a few miles. Elk sign means little unless it's very fresh. Elk roam around a lot. If you can see 70 yards then you're in a needle and a haystack situation.

All just my opinion and with the intention of helping.

OP
C

Cdpp880

WKR
for this year we are going to Utah for sure. we may very well go somewhere different the following year. last year I spent the night in this area and it snowed the night before and the night I stayed so all tracks were within a few hours. That and we found plenty of scat that was steaming/still warm. Unless its a drought year there will be plenty of water around. There are a few small ponds in the area but they are all very close together. Last year I had the place to myself and I do not believe anyone else ever went there. I have another spot picked out to go to first but would use this spot as a backup bc I know they were in there last year. I know nothing!!!!!!! about calling elk and plain on learning more before I go. Just trying to figure out the best way to hunt this area if I need to use it.

cnelk

WKR
You prob found a bedding area. If you hunt the edges and keep the wind right, it could pan out.
If you go thru there Willy nilly you better start all over and find another area

Hunt it soft and go slow

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The country I hunt is similar few openings and dense brush and some years especially prior to wolves I had enough or great bugling on cows in the 2nd estrus this has been both in Idaho and Montana. This last year in Washington drew late October hunt and again had very good bugling so it can happen and I would learn the calling skills. As noted cameras would be very helpful and within this brushy area look for little ridges that may offer ridge to ridge shooting if that is something that is present. If intent on hunting this limited visibility area learn it to see what advantages you can create otherwise as noted another area may be better where you can use sight to your advantage.

CC

FNG
Don't be afraid to use all styles of hunting. Glassing, Standing, and Still hunting. Start with the least pressured first (glassing) then use other methods as your hunt continues with increasing pressure to produce results. Be prepared and have a pack with you that can handle taking a load of meat back to the truck on the first trip.

Good luck!

Dougfir

FNG
Don't be afraid to use all styles of hunting. Glassing, Standing, and Still hunting. Start with the least pressured first (glassing) then use other methods as your hunt continues with increasing pressure to produce results. Be prepared and have a pack with you that can handle taking a load of meat back to the truck on the first trip.

Good luck!

I would agree with this. Don't start too aggressively, but don't rule out still hunting when time's getting short. I still hunted up a shot opportunity this year, in a thick bedding area by just moving slowly and staying aware. But watch out for those Lodge Pole Pines, they have a habit of jumping in front of your bullets. Selfless little buggers...

OP
C

Cdpp880

WKR
So what call would you recommend me getting? I’m not very good with a diaphragm call at all so any other that would be better.

OP
C

Cdpp880

WKR
I have tried and tried with diaphragm turkey calls and have never been able to do much with them. They seem cheep enough so I guess I will get one and get to trying. Any other non diaphragm call to recommend?

I highly recommend sticking with learning diaphragm calls. They're a game changer especially bowhunting. Then rather than making a generic sound from a plastic call you're putting out the exact sound you're looking for as well as including some emotion into the call.

I've used different company reed calls and didn't like them after becoming decent with a diapragh.

Keep one in your car practice when you drive. Mews and bugles.
If you've got the budget buy a pack of different ones or some from different companies to find the right fit for you. But you also can't go wrong with the primos starter three pack. I've called a elk in with those.

Phelps and Bugling Bull Game Calls make some really good diapgrahms as well as Reed's.

Sturgeon

WKR
Using diaphragm calls is kind of like learning to whistle, one day it will just click. I tried a couple different turkey calls off and on and couldn't get it and one day I just decided I was going to figure it out and started practicing after about 15 years of being unsuccessful with them. The sounds you might get at first might not be great and it will feel like you are using a lot of energy for a little squeak, but if you keep at it, it will come. Lot's of good tutorials on youtube.

wytx

WKR
Get yourself a good bite and blow call and you'll be fine. Keep trying to get the diaphragm down though. Plenty of good sounding bite and blow calls for cows. Carlton's Lonesome cow, Primos Cowgirl, Sceery, and some I have never used but have good reps. I never use a diaphragm and have called in plenty of bulls . Diaphragms definitely have advantages but the others will work fine also. I carry at least 2 different cow calls, usually 3, You can't walk around with one in your mouth for extended periods or it will clog with spittal, that's why I carry multiples. They are small but work best for me on a lanyard, tucked into my shirt or jacket.