Colorado- 0 pt draw area and getting a preference point

BigHink66

FNG
When you apply to a unit for first rifle that takes 0 points to draw, and you put the preference point code as your first option, does it move you into the second draw? The odds are a lot lower for the 2nd choice in this unit. It goes from 90% in the first to 8% NR in the second.

Or does it recognize that you don't want to burn your points and allow you to be in the first draw with your 2nd choice?

If you choose the preference point as first choice then you will only able to draw your second choice app so yes you will be looking at 2nd choice odds.

I believe Colorado looks at everyone's 1st choice prior to moving on to their 2nd choice. If you want to hunt this year and take your chances then just do the preference point 1st choice your given unit 2nd choice then a unit that had leftover tags (ie Flat Tops) as the 3rd choice and you will draw a tag

I thought if you put pp as your first choice, you would draw a point and be done. If you want a point and a shot at drawing a hunt, put in a hunt code you have no chance of drawing as your first choice so you get the point, then apply for something that can be drawn as a second choice.

Colorado does look at everyone's first choice first, then your second choice second, and so on. It does not recognize that you don't want to burn your points. For the tag you are talking about, most people would either try to hunt that every year and not accumulate points, or ignore that tag and go for something like a OTC tag/100% draw odds on 2nd choice while building points. For me that would be my two options.

As far as putting in a preference point as your first choice and not being able to draw something 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice; that statement is just false. This past year in CO for elk I put in my first choice as a preference point and drew my 3rd choice. You can put in for a preference point first choice and draw tags for your other choices. I have done it many times.

cnelk

WKR
This is a reason how the CPW can limit Hunter #s for a certain unit

There are plenty of good 2nd choice rifle tags if you want to get a PP

OP
B

BigHink66

FNG
Does anyone know odds for 2, 3, or 4th choices. My plan was to put PP as first, Unit 5 as second, and flattops as 3rd. This was due to seeing people being drawn on their 4th choice to the flattops.

However, when I calculated the chances at drawing 3rd choice it came up as less than 100% for NR. I am not sure if putting flattops as third is a sure bet.

2 things I do know, first I want a preference point, and second I want to hunt this year first rifle.

Thanks for the help

sndmn11

WKR
I thought if you put pp as your first choice, you would draw a point and be done. If you want a point and a shot at drawing a hunt, put in a hunt code you have no chance of drawing as your first choice so you get the point, then apply for something that can be drawn as a second choice.

Colorado does look at everyone's first choice first, then your second choice second, and so on. It does not recognize that you don't want to burn your points. For the tag you are talking about, most people would either try to hunt that every year and not accumulate points, or ignore that tag and go for something like a OTC tag/100% draw odds on 2nd choice while building points. For me that would be my two options.

As far as putting in a preference point as your first choice and not being able to draw something 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice; that statement is just false. This past year in CO for elk I put in my first choice as a preference point and drew my 3rd choice. You can put in for a preference point first choice and draw tags for your other choices. I have done it many times.

I will stand corrected too! I had a paragraph typed out here, but apparently what I thought was fact isn't so.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Does anyone know odds for 2, 3, or 4th choices. My plan was to put PP as first, Unit 5 as second, and flattops as 3rd. This was due to seeing people being drawn on their 4th choice to the flattops.

However, when I calculated the chances at drawing 3rd choice it came up as less than 100% for NR. I am not sure if putting flattops as third is a sure bet.

2 things I do know, first I want a preference point, and second I want to hunt this year first rifle.

Thanks for the help

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Elk/2017ElkDrawRecap.pdf

Here are the stats from last year.

OP
B

BigHink66

FNG
Yeah, that's what I've been looking at. What I can't figure out is how they had people receive a tag on 4th choice when not all received a tag on their third.

sndmn11

WKR
Give me an example hunt code so I can look it.

I believe they count ALL applications for whatever you are looking at, including those who already drew something else. So, if you pout in for e01R1 for your first choice, and e90r1 for the second choice, you would show as a tally mark for both. If you draw the first choice, you obviously cant draw the second choice, but in the stats you will still show up as one 2nd choice application for e90r1.

dotman

WKR
Yeah, that's what I've been looking at. What I can't figure out is how they had people receive a tag on 4th choice when not all received a tag on their third.

My guess, they either filled the app out wrong or canceled before the draw. I’ve noticed over the years you’ll see multiple times where less drew then put in but yet people with fewer points drew in the 1st choice draw.

elkduds

WKR

There are res/NR quotas that can make an NR draw 2nd choice while res draws 3rd choice or vice versa.

topher89

WKR

Those people drew their first or second choice and were "out" of the drawing which is why it seems like not everyone got their third choice. Because they already had a tag, they were out before the 3rd choice drawings

I always out 4 choices down for all species because I want to hunt every year. Most of the time I get a point and my second choice but I like putting a 3rd and 4th down just in case.

wapitibob

WKR
Those people drew their first or second choice and were "out" of the drawing which is why it seems like not everyone got their third choice. Because they already had a tag, they were out before the 3rd choice drawings

AZ's public reports are formatted the same way.