First Elk hunt, Guided vs. DIY ?

md126

WKR
Choose your outfitter/guide VERY VERY carefully and hunt private land if at all possible.

You’ll learn a lot from a good guide but you will learn more on you’re own. Remember, they want to get you an elk first and teach second. Just my 2cents

Good luck, be safe, and have fun

mtnhntr

WKR
Due to time constraints about 75% of my time afield hunting is spent with guides/outfitters and it’s all in the selection process. The good ones have the reputation, and you will pay for it - but they tend to have the best access to some of the better locations. There’s a few I hunt with that get me tee’d up with a spike camp and let me do my own thing. I just can’t justify the expense/maintenance on gear, and not having the access to such game rich locations to do many DIY scenarios unless I’m with my hunting partners that can’t swing the guided route. I’ve had success on both, and I wouldn’t go into it thinking you’re going to learn a ton - if you’re a proficient hunter, then you’ll do just fine DIY. I’ve found that most often your paying for access - whether it’s sheep, deer, elk, or whatever else you’d like to pursue. These guys get paid for knowing where they are nearly year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
If you're looking for a trip this year, I have a close friend of mine that has 2 opening in Oregon for second season rifle, you'll have to get your own lodging which is close, but for 4250 you'd be hard pressed to find a better hunt with a higher historical success rate. It's petty consistent for bulls up to 300, I think its 100% opportunity and 90% harvest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
PAhunter58

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks WRO for the offer. But like allot of you guys, I applied to NM with a buddy and when I get denied there, I used my PP to apply for a limited tag in SW Co. It a horseback hunt in a Wilderness Area which will help getting away from some. The limited unit will help with that too, I hope. Like I've said before during this thread, not sure how many times I'll be able to pull this hunt off. If it is the Colorado hunt I'll be heading out by myself but I'll be looking to make new friends and start learning about Elk hunting. Long-term I'll be back on a DIY hunt. Thanks again for everyones advise and opinions.

WRO

WKR
No worries, if you sent me a pm, my box is freed up now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
My first was DIY. Did a ton of reading and YouTube watching. I think a guide who understands calling would be a nice learning experience. Yes on the Randy Newburg endorsement. Also Corey Jacobson and Elk 101.

OP
PAhunter58

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately Lowke01, the limited unit hunt I applied for on CO is the third rifle in November, no bugling by then. I have watched almost every video that Randy Newberg has put on Youtube and watch his Elk talk live each week. My guess is the third rifle will be weather dictated in hoping there's enough snow up high to get the elk moving towards their migration routes. If CO has another dry season at this time, I'll be looking in the meadows around heavy timber early and late to see if I can locate any elk. Or like everybody else on here, If by some chance I draw a NM elk tag I'll be hunting either 1st muzzy at the tale end of the rut or thick hide-a-ways in the second rifle. I'll take either. Thanks for chiming in!

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't done the late season rifle hunts yet. From what I hear that's about finding the post rut bachelor groups in their nasty secluded hiding spots. I'm guessing a good guide will know those spots already. Hopefully they have pack animals for the haul out. Good luck. Hopefully its everything you dreamed of.

Mule

FNG
I did two DIY hunts then a guided hunt only to learn that I valued the DIY so much more. I've never had a great guided experience on any animal, unfortunately. I also learned on my guided elk hunt (on public ground) that he really didn't do anything too different that I was doing. In fact feel like I got shorted because we only rode horses for about 4.5 miles--we had backpack hunters all over us. If you want to learn, read cameron hanes' book, forums, and watch youtube. You'll be so much better for it. My guide didn't teach me anything, except: Don't call from the pack trails, and don't waste my money on an elk guide anymore. If my money goes to another outfitter, it will be for a drop camp somewhere deeper than I want to walk. My first DIY trip--we rented two llamas and were 13 miles deep. We learned so much from that experience of just doing it.

Rebel73

FNG
Looking for any advice on a drop camp for 2020 first rifle season Colorado in GMU 24. Was thinking about Adams Lodge Outfitters. There will be two of us going.

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
IMO..
I just can’t afford the price of guided Elk Hunt.
If I could I would go guided all the time and do it in multiple states.

Unless you truly live in elk country, you spend a lot of wasted time.. some hunters like that ..I’m part of the 90% that eats Tag Soup every year..my annual contribution to conservation.

I know I’ll probably never come close to shoot the number of elk most of you have.. but I can live with that given my economic constraints and the fact that I don’t live in elk country...

So if you see a lost hunter in the woods acting like he’s hunting...well that’s me..wondering hoping for a chance encounter...DIY

Enough said

Happy New Year

Wassid82

WKR
Out west there is so much public land and access that I think guides are over rated. If you have the gear to hunt out west then its just as easy to do it yourself. Is there a learning curve....sure....but guides aren't 100% successful either. For the extra 5-10K that you would spend on a guide you could get some upgraded gear or access to a private/public ranch etc. The other boon in our world today is freedom of information. Sites like this have a wealth of knowledge and there are so many publication/videos on how to hunt elk, etc.

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
IMO..
I just can’t afford the price of guided Elk Hunt.
If I could I would go guided all the time and do it in multiple states.

Unless you truly live in elk country, you spend a lot of wasted time.. some hunters like that ..I’m part of the 90% that eats Tag Soup every year..my annual contribution to conservation.

I know I’ll probably never come close to shoot the number of elk most of you have.. but I can live with that given my economic constraints and the fact that I don’t live in elk country...

So if you see a lost hunter in the woods acting like he’s hunting...well that’s me..wondering hoping for a chance encounter...DIY

Enough said

Happy New Year

This made me laugh. In a good way. I want to to do my first elk hunt in the next few years. I’ll be the other lost guy, just happy to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk