First Elk hunt, Guided vs. DIY ?

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
My question is I've decided for my first elk to go guided so as to try to learn the ropes from hopefully a hard working outfitter and his guide. How many of my fellow NR did this before they converted to DIY hunting? I know ultimately going DIY should be all the more satisfying and complete experience. I'm sure many just jumped right in and did DIY from the start. Just curious how many went the route I'm going? The other part of the question is what expectations should I expect from a quality outfitter and guide?

LWC

FNG
I went on a drop camp first. Helped us to get our feet wet for sure. Just getting out
west end figuring out the logistics and how to get around is a big help. My advice is get started however you can. Nothing wrong with a guided first elk hunt imo

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
My question is I've decided for my first elk to go guided so as to try to learn the ropes from hopefully a hard working outfitter and his guide. How many of my fellow NR did this before they converted to DIY hunting? I know ultimately going DIY should be all the more satisfying and complete experience. I'm sure many just jumped right in and did DIY from the start. Just curious how many went the route I'm going? The other part of the question is what expectations should I expect from a quality outfitter and guide?

My suggestion is make sure you use a reputable outfitter lots of shitty ones out there !!! If Colorado look on the Colorado guide and outfitters association if they worth a crap they will pay the fees to be a member . I learned the hard and it was just a pack in guy packed us in 6 miles and there hadn’t been a elk around in 3-4 weeks burned 2 days waiting to be packed out and got rapped for 900$ a each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
PAhunter58, I did a guided elk hunt in Montana many years ago. The outfitter was top notch however we were not successful. I did learn some things about hunting elk that trip, but I believe there are many other ways that are less expensive. Randy Newberg for example provides great information on elk hunting as do the folks on here and from the RMEF. Good luck with your adventures.

ScottinPA

WKR
I did guided in 2011 (trainwreck) and 2014 (successful). DIY in 2016 (got some nice views/pics) and am doing a drop camp this year. Hunting partner isn't into DIY much. I'll do DIY going forward if possible.

OP
PAhunter58

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
I am a huge Randy Newberg fan and probably have watched most of his videos and watch his Elk Talk Live each week. He certainly is a plethora of really great insight minus all the DQ stops. I guess starting out I'd like to see overall the different types of equipment needed before diving into a DIY without spending $$$ on things that are luxury items vs. the basic essentials. And to add further info, I am basically diving into all this on my own as most of my PA hunting partners are not that interested in joining me. Though I have a buddy that applied with me for New Mexico Elk this year in the Outfitter Draw, I also applied myself for a limited draw elk tag with my PP's in SW Colorado.

Trial153

WKR
I think there is lot of value in a guilded first time trip with a top notch outfitter. While i didnt go that route when i started elk hunting in retrospect it would not have hurt anything.
Gear, and logistics for the first time hunter isnt cheap and the neither is the time investment if your traveling any distanece.

Rokslide has a ton of good information about wants vs. needs as far as gear. Use the search function or start a new thread and you should be able to find all the info you need on that question. I really wouldn't go guided for that reason. You may want to go guided to learn about elk hunting first hand from semi-experts.

BigSaby

FNG
I am going on my first elk hunt and chose to go with a guide as well. I felt like a guided hunt was the safest bet to get my feet wet and learn a few of the ropes. My next hunt is definitely going to b diy. I feel confident with the knowledge I’ve gained from researching rokslide/randy newberg/Steven rinella/...etc. My gear list is pretty set. My skills r on me to hone and keep sharp. The guide will hopefully fill in the blanks. One question I do have tho, any suggestions on a boot for a backcountry 7 day sept. Archey hunt in western Montana? Im looking at schnee’s absaroka/schnees granite/lowa Tibet. Curious what people with experience have to suggest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't stand having someone lead me around the woods. Its DIY only for me.

Save your money and put it towards gear and DIY.

Regardless of which type of hunt you choose, do yourself a favor and learn as much as you can ahead of time. Prepare for you guided hunt just like you would a DIY hunt. Research the locations you'll be hunting, and learn as much about elk as possible.

OP
PAhunter58

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
MallardSX2, Believe me, I completely understand why you would say that. I consider myself a way above average whitetail guy. Bow, Muzzy, Rifle, I hunted them all over my home state of PA and as far west as the Dakota's. But keep in mind for the sake of my original thread, this is my first elk hunt which means I've never hunted above 2500ft. I would be a novice regarding thermals, sanctuaries, travel routes and on an on. If I'm gonna travel 3000 miles round trip, by myself, I would feel better leaning on a good guide to help me learn those elk fundamentals that you experts all ready know. I don't want to stumble around for 5 days in futile just to tell everybody I went elk hunting. Most things you only have to show me once. Not that I expect to kill an elk on my first trip, but in terms trying to DIY it my first try, well I'm not that good. No offence to your thinking but I'd like to walk before I run.

cnelk

WKR
Back in the late 70s, my dad and I drove out to Colorado from Minnesota and went on our first elk hunt - DIY
270s, 30-06s, Sorel boots, blue jeans and down vests.

We ended up shooting two 5x5s.

Now I know some things have changed over the years, but the elk and hunting in general hasnt.

Dont make it harder than it is

Me in the center and my dad on the right [now gone]

Attachments

• Late 70s elk hunt jpg.jpg
    Late 70s elk hunt jpg.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 170
OP
PAhunter58

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
cnelk, Again if I was younger, I would probably do just that. But I think things have changed. Allot more competition and tags, units with ATV's flying around and the numbers of hunters I hear guys complain about in OTC's. I have read so many of these threads where guys have been hunting the same unit for two or three years and barley see a legal bull. I don't know how many elk trips in the future I'll be able to do. So maybe I'm trying to get as most bang I can in the amount of time I have to do this. That's why I saved a couple PP's to draw in a limited unit. I really appreciate all the advice so far from everybody. There are certainly many right opinions and probably no bad ones.

smartweed

FNG
cnelk, Again if I was younger, I would probably do just that. But I think things have changed. Allot more competition and tags, units with ATV's flying around and the numbers of hunters I hear guys complain about in OTC's. I have read so many of these threads where guys have been hunting the same unit for two or three years and barley see a legal bull. I don't know how many elk trips in the future I'll be able to do. So maybe I'm trying to get as most bang I can in the amount of time I have to do this. That's why I saved a couple PP's to draw in a limited unit. I really appreciate all the advice so far from everybody. There are certainly many right opinions and probably no bad ones.
Diy or die.... that's what they would say in New Hampshire too

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
PA Hunter, I think you're being smart by doing a guided first. It eliminates a lot of unknowns and variables so you can spend more time enjoying the hunt. Just my .02. I've done DIY for years successfully, but I've also done guided hunts and enjoyed them just as much fwiw.

codym

WKR
I think a guided trip would be great for the first time especially if your not sure how many times you will get to hunt elk. Do yourself a favor and get in shape. The better shape your in the longer and harder you can go in the field which in my experience is directly proportionate to success.

cnelk

WKR
Yep - since you disclosed after your first post you had 2 PPs and already applied for a unit, guided is the way to go

Let us know how you do

Brendan

WKR
It all depends what your background is, what your hunting and outdoor experience is. In some ways - it's no different than camping / mountain hunting for whitetails (But yes, very different in others....) I personally went DIY and solo my first year, with zero prior western hunting experience, loved it, and had success. I've been 4 times total, and the two Elk I got were the two trips I was on my own...

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but all about what you want out of your trip...