Strategies & Tactics?

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
Elknut Playbook & DVDs
Chris Roe’s online subscription & instructions
Corey Jacobson’s online course

I’m sure there are more. I’ve been elk hunting several times but as far as calling goes, I’ve got no clue. I’ve always just used a cow call.

I’ve also read that you should be very cautious using a bugle, or not use it at all, since these bulls are highly educated from previous hunters bugling.

What is your strategy? Should I just pick one of the above guys and go with what they say?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElkNut's materials, including his app, are all you really need. His success speaks for itself. Throw in Randy Newberg and Corey Jacobsen too and you've got mounds of info from the best of the best.

Practice practice practice. Every scenario is different except one crucial thing. The wind!!!!

If you are calling solo and you do not move to a wind advantage after the call in sequence the bulls will 9/10 times circle to smell you.

If you're calling with a partner you have the shooter set up to anticipate where the elk will come based on terrain. And wind. Every now and then you may get a worked up bull that disregards the wind because of being so fired up, but that's really rare.

It will come down to personal preference. The only time I had a bugle seem to be the cause of a failure in a sequence was actually because of a unanticipated wind switch.

Some guys believe it's optimal to not bugle to a herd bull until you're within the herd, so he is forced to come defend the herem rather than group them up to leave.

I recommend getting into all the info you can. I've gone through elknuts material a lot and read the playbook annually. Elk101 was a game changer for myself as well. It was what made me fully confident with bugling elk in.

There's also a lot of good podcasts with all of these guys on it. Elknut, Jacobson, Phelps.. ect. You should listen to.

My method of choice is adapting. I try to have every tool in my arsenal so I can be ready for each scenario. In the end it comes down to personal preference. Some guys walk and bugle until they find a bull that wants to play solely for the fact they love a fired up bull encounter. Some guys sit water. It's all based on the experience you're after and the given scenario.

Edit: If you have the money and time. I'd buy elknuts playbook, and get a one year membership to elk101 course. Then absorb that knowledge. It's priceless knowledge. I wouldn't doubt it if one of these guys actually chime into your thread. You can even message elknut and I'm sure he'd be happy to help you. Him and his son are good dudes.

reelnmn

FNG
I used ElkNut and Chris Roe last year. I'm really happy with both products - ElkNut videos, playbook, and RHR subscription. I feel ElkNut applies more for calling with a partner, but he also has great material that is universal. Chris Roe's shot window video is probably the sole reason I was successful on my first ever archery elk hunt, DIY public land 6x6.

• Banned
OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I think I’ll start with Chris Roe’s stuff first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
Not an elk expert here but I’ve taken part in all of these. Don’t limit yourself to one, take in everything you can. I’ve gotten elk nuts book, dvds, talked to him on the phone, I’m going through Chris roes stuff right now, and I need to re-up with elk101. All of them have a place. It’s all experience you’re trying to make up for when just starting out. I’ll be seeing what works comes September.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk