Sept archery elk calls?

BigSaby

FNG
Hey guys. Going on a sept archery hunt in western Montana. Curious what kind of calls y’all suggest? I’m heavily considering exclusively using Phelps calls. Trying a few different of their diaphragm calls so I can remain hands free. Curious and look fwd to ur input. As always, ur suggestions/info is much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would HIGHLY recommend using the phelps calls there bugle tube is amazing! i love mine. it really feels like i can put a personality and voice to it. and not all there mouth calls work for me but every person has a different favorite anyway regardless of brand. but the ones i like i REALLY like buy a variety and try them out/ break them in better calls tend to take longer to break in and in turn they take longer to wear out so give them all there fair chance regardless of original impression and im sure they will have a few that you will really like. good luck hope you find the experience your chasing.

Never have used Phelps so no opinion there, but I have used Rocky Mountain Hunting calls diaphragm calls for several years and really like them. I would suggest just getting the multipack and see what different sizes and sounds work best for you.

BishopB7

FNG
Get a variety and start using them. Consider palette fit, dome plates versus flatter aluminum plates, how they fit your calling abilities, etc. I'm a big fan of the Rocky Mountain calls, but that is what fits and sounds best for me. I used the all star for a while and moved to the contender. Whether it's phelps, rm, carter, or whatever, make sure it works the best for you.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
If you are new at mouth reeds start with a softer reed like a phelps, wapiti river, or Rocky mountain. they will be the easiest to learn on. As you get more advanced you'll probably want to try a glacier country or similar. the wider doubles i believe allow you to get more realistic elk sounds, but are harder to blow. biggest thing is to start practicing now, and don't be cheap buy a lot of reeds. they wear out surprisingly fast. If i'm getting after the bugle in archery season i'll blow through one a day.

LostArra

WKR
If you are going to be using any type of mouth call for the first time I would suggest running 100yd uphill intervals and then try using the call after every third or fourth sprint.
Those calls aren't too difficult when you are practicing while you drive down the road ("Hey, I sound just like Elknut!").
It's a new ball game when your mouth is totally dry, you're nearly out of breath and you realize you are now surrounded by confused turkeys.