Eagle Caps/Minam First rifle

Jon Boy

WKR
Anyone ever done the rifle hunt in the caps? Doing it this year with a good buddy and seems nearly all of the information I pull up is from the archery hunt. Really just curious what type of country the bulls like to hang out in the end of oct. Bald basins up high in rock slides, mid country holed up in timber? I have some spots picked out on the map, but in my experience post rut bulls hang in different country depending on the range they live in. Its big country and going to require some serious boot leather to find them but hoping to narrow down the terrain they like to hang in. I know it is going to be a tough hunt in nasty country with the potential of bad weather, but its nothing new to either of us. I'd be willing to trade info on elk hunting central, sw, and se montana in return if you'd like to PM.

I posted this on some NW forums but figured some one on the slide might have some info too.

Thanks,
Jon

WRO

WKR
Anyone ever done the rifle hunt in the caps? Doing it this year with a good buddy and seems nearly all of the information I pull up is from the archery hunt. Really just curious what type of country the bulls like to hang out in the end of oct. Bald basins up high in rock slides, mid country holed up in timber? I have some spots picked out on the map, but in my experience post rut bulls hang in different country depending on the range they live in. Its big country and going to require some serious boot leather to find them but hoping to narrow down the terrain they like to hang in. I know it is going to be a tough hunt in nasty country with the potential of bad weather, but its nothing new to either of us. I'd be willing to trade info on elk hunting central, sw, and se montana in return if you'd like to PM.

I posted this on some NW forums but figured some one on the slide might have some info too.

Thanks,
Jon

They'll still be talking this year with the season being early. The big bulls will be out early and late, look for small isolated meadows on north facing hillsides that aren't burned off with water close. They won't move over 100 yards unless you blow them out. The rags and smaller bulls will still most likely be with the cows. Bugle at night pre-season to locate bulls.

Good luck,

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
They'll still be talking this year with the season being early. The big bulls will be out early and late, look for small isolated meadows on north facing hillsides that aren't burned off with water close. They won't move over 100 yards unless you blow them out. The rags and smaller bulls will still most likely be with the cows. Bugle at night pre-season to locate bulls.

Good luck,

Thanks WRO, Sounds like an ops normal elk hunt to what I'm used to.

tttoadman

WKR
Go to google earth and find those little pockets up high with a spring. Hard to get around there sometimes because of the rough country, but it is really a cool place.

Hey Jon Boy, I'm putting in for the same tag (I think...) and wouldn't mind exchanging info. I am an experienced backpacker and east coast white tail hunter but brand new to elk. I will be doing a lot of scouting in that area over the summer. If you have any specific places you want checked out I wouldn't mind doing that if you can explain to me the reasoning behind your spot selection, it would help me to learn more about these animals. If you want to exchange email addresses just send me a message.

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
We pretty much have an area we are focused on at the moment and my buddy (who lives in Oregon) is going to scout it this summer. How ever, if you have some areas you are looking at on maps I'd be glad to assist you in how I'd look for elk in your spots. More than anything though, its going to be boots on the ground.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk