What New Gear?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
What are some of the new gear items everyone is excited about for this year's elk season?

Packs? Boots? Calls? Bow?

Anything strike you as a real game changer for this season?

abed1b540a7957f5292883b25742944b.jpg

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
The new First Lite gear.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
I am picking up a MBG Ascent Verdict. Hoping to improve my range out to 80 yards for spot and stalk deer and speed goat.

AdamW

WKR
New tripod for me, probably a Slik.

Anyone know where I can buy some self-confidence and mental toughness for hunting solo for the first time? :D

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
New tripod for me, probably a Slik.

Anyone know where I can buy some self-confidence and mental toughness for hunting solo for the first time? :D
Go make a couple weekend solo scouting trips. Experience builds confidence

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Schnees new line-up of boots with OutDry for sure.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Just got a pair of the Beartooths. Love the snug, super locked fit in the heel and midfoot while providing plenty of ball and toe room. I really dug my lowa Tibet hi's after about a year plus of break in (they were fine before that, but absolute money after a true, long break in). But by then water was seeping in. Hoping this outdry will outlast the true break in period on the beartooths.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
A couple weeks ago I was the winning bid at the CBA live auction for a new Elite Impulse 31, along with a Tight Spot quiver, Hamskea rest, a dozen GT arrows and 3 VPA broadheads.

$600

Got it all set up and ready to roll

choovhntr

WKR
Bought two new packs, kifaru fulcrum and exo 5500 in fusion. Testing side by side to see which one stays. Lathrop and sons mountain hunter boots using their custom fitting. Sent back once and should receive them back today. New first lite products ( catalyst system, merino x, aerosol, chamberlain puffy) kifaru LPP, kifaru woobie, 0 degree slick bag, and I’m sure more to come.

oldgoat

WKR
Only new gear I have for this season was bought last year after elk season, that's the new bulk water treatment Steri-pen setup and a small wood stove for my solo shelter.

Whip

WKR
I don't think it will be a game changer, but about the only new things to me this year will probably be a few pieces of Sitka and First Lite stuff. Maybe leave some other stuff behind that didn't get used last year.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got a new rifle I'm kind of excited about- a Kimber Hunter in .308, topped with a Leupy VX-R 2-7; also have a MR Popup 18 that I think will really be handy for long day hunts (even overnighters in conjunction w/ a dry bag)

I have new boots that I've finally broken in sufficiently for elk hunting- La Sportiva Omegas- very light, but seem pretty sturdy

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
The other thing is my completely new Bow set up.
Athens Archery Revelation 6
Montana black gold ascent verdict
Hamskea hybrid hunter pro micro tune
Tight spot
4c02ea878a352987e9080402cc6a5880.jpg
509ca4a2bdab67da11c1145c76ef9870.jpg

Go do some summer trips. Try to get progressively closer to the amount of days you are going to stay by yourself. Set goals for what you what to accomplish during those trips. Set goals so you stay the intended amount of time. An inreach can really make a difference.

dtrkyman

WKR
Mountainsmith lt shelter new insulated air core si far, need a new bag and cylinder stove!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR

Get some of these and eat over the summer. You'll be fine

Attachments

• can-of-wup-ass (1).jpg
    can-of-wup-ass (1).jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 95

amp713

WKR
I went a little crazy and basically switched up everything

I did a blog post on it on my page but quick summary....

Bow, arrows, pack, shelter, clothing, tripod, boots.....

New job that'll allow me a lot more time in the hills, and a lot more money so that my time in the hills isn't quite so painful. Also got a Jimmy Tarps Hudson and an SO stove. More time, more money, and warmer evenings should make for a memorable season.

VO2Max

FNG
Bought two new packs, kifaru fulcrum and exo 5500 in fusion. Testing side by side to see which one stays. Lathrop and sons mountain hunter boots using their custom fitting. Sent back once and should receive them back today. New first lite products ( catalyst system, merino x, aerosol, chamberlain puffy) kifaru LPP, kifaru woobie, 0 degree slick bag, and I’m sure more to come.

What do you think about the EXO 5500 vs the Kifaru? I’m leaning, heavily, toward the EXO simply d/t price. $800 for a pack, when I have many expensive hobbies already, seems a bit much.