Single pin vs 5 pin sight

BigSaby

FNG
Single pin adjustable sight or 5 pin sight for archery elk in Montana? Wondering if the adjustments on the single pin during the process of hunting will not b realistically applicable when it’s game time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go with a 5 pin. Less to think about when you have a bull coming in. But that's just my personal preference

Single pin slider or 5 pin fixed? Maybe a compromise would be better.

I'm using a 3 pin slider. My pins are 20, 30, 40 and then I use the 40 as a slider for longer distances. This gives the ability to react quickly at closer ranges and also gives single pin accuracy at longer distances.

TacoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 2 pin slider. I can shoot from 0-45 without touching the slider(top pin 30, bottom 45), after 45 I can range & slide as needed. I like the clean site window.

Beendare

WKR
A lot of guys like those single pin sights.....sure they are more accurate on the target range.

I agree with the guys above; hunting is different. Any movement at crunch time can possibly screw it up and give you away. Also, Last thing I want to do in an elk hunt scenario is have to think about moving my sight...or whether I did move my sight...

I like fixed pins....

If you do go slider, practice a worst case scenario where you have to shoot an elk at 25 with your pin adjusted to 35 or vice versa ....and you can't move to adjust without the bull making you.....

Ucsdryder

WKR
Single. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Set at 25 yards I can shoot to 40 without moving. After that if I don’t have time to range and adjust my sight I’m not shoot anyway.

Netherman

WKR
I have a single and wish I had more. Hopefully BG will sell me a sight housing to accommodate the change, otherwise there'll be a LH Ascent in the classifieds. My plan is to go to a three pin slider with the center pin as the slider. It'll give me 20-40 dedicated pins for deer hunting MI and quick situations on elk. While still being capable of dialing for longer ranges as needed and for practice.

I shot over my "almost first' bull's back with a single pin archery hunting in MT. I was planning to use the same point blank range theory as Ucsdryder, but didn't trust it in the moment. I knew my pin was good to 40 holding center of lungs, but decided to hold the pin on top of his back to drop the arrow in the center of his lungs. Turns out he was at 30yds instead of the 40 I had assumed and by holding on his back I sent the arrow over. (Life Lesson: range as much as possible. always).

My thought process on why three pins: With a three pin system I would have been able to cover his entire vitals with my 20 - 40 pins and been more confident putting the 30 in the middle.

Nick

MtnOyster

WKR
I used 5-7 sight pins for years, then tried a single pin and i'll have to say its gonna be hard for me to ever go back to multiple pins, I spend countless hours ( month before hunting season) with my pin set at 30 and shoot it like that from 20 to 60 yds , keeps me from having to move it after ranging an animal, I know exactly where to hold it when hunt out west, I generally keep it set at 25 yds when I'm 20 ft up in a tree here at home and shoot out to 35 yds without moving it.
Either set up is good but its all in what you like and can get used to, I just like a one pin sight window, not all the clutter from multiple pins.

vthokee

WKR
I have tried both and I have found I prefer to have the 5 fixed pins. It's less to worry about when crunch time hits. I know for a fact that my pins are set at predetermined distances. If an animal is in between yardages then I can just pin gap.

I have an IQ Prohunter with two stationary pins and one sliding pin. Its been nice for me so far but I have not had it long. Just put it on last fall.

I have had both, nothing worse than fiddling with a pin in the heat of the moment.

Spotthog real deal .019 pin all the way now.

I use a single pin. I debated on switching to a multi pin sight when I started elk hunting but decided to stay with a single pin because it was what I was most comfortable with. I found that with my current bow set up, I could leave my pin on the 30 he mark and I could hold dead center of an elk vital and stay in the vital from 0-45 yds without worrying about adjustments. To me that means one less thing to think about. It the animal is in that range, I just draw back and lock the pin in the center of the boiler room and let it fly. If the animal is beyond 45 yds, I figured I would have time to either adjust my sight or wait for a closer shot. That's just me and what I'm comfortable with. Each person has their preferences. I have shot single pin only for 14 years now, so its what I'm used to and comfortable with.

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
3 pin slider for me. Best of both worlds. I shoot a CBE tel hybrid and love it.

TacoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Which sight do you use?

A spot Hogg fast Eddie with dual pin and pointer. I really like it.
1f5ce6fc10b69154714d2c92ceeb69ff.jpg
68911bb04d8d85484e570a97ef47cdca.jpg

Rdog

FNG
5 pin slider
30 to 70 on pins
Sliding after that

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's exactly my setup, I'd never shoot at an elk past 60 or so but it's fun being able to slide the sight and have my bottom pin at 100 at the range. To the OP, I came from a single pin and switched to a 5 pin slider and feel so much more comfortable walking through the trees knowing that in the heat of the moment I don't need to worry about fiddling with the slider or how low or high to aim. I see the appeal to single pins more for tree stand hunting with only a few possible shot opportunities at specific ranges. Just think of how few steps it takes an elk to be 10 yards further away than what you initially setup for. Knowing my next pin down is exactly 10 yards inspires a lot more confidence than guestimating how high to put the single pin.