First elk trip Colorado

RhynaldsA

FNG
Hunting unit 47 otc tag archery Colorado first elk hunt or backpack hunt first any info on the unit would be much appreciated but understand
Should I get a spotting scope
Best stove
Water status on 47
I will be there sept 1 - sept 24
I have a 4 season tent but was thinking of a super tarp also
Then I need some help on clothes like layering
Thanks in advance also looking for clothes to buy I wear xl 38 waist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
Spotting scope: No
Best Stove: Jetboil or msr equivalent
Water Status: plenty but sterilize/filter
Tent: 4 season for base, super tarp for backpacking
Layering: warm during day, cool at night. Could be hot or could snow. Bring for both, pack in according to forecast.
Focus on fitness.

OP
R

RhynaldsA

FNG
Thanks for all of the responses one more question I just started to plan a shed / scouting trip for either 1st week of may or the last week of may first question is Will a 20degree bag be enough with a 4 season tent also is there any advice on shed hunting thanks again

Gorp2007

WKR
Thanks for all of the responses one more question I just started to plan a shed / scouting trip for either 1st week of may or the last week of may first question is Will a 20degree bag be enough with a 4 season tent also is there any advice on shed hunting thanks again

On the sleeping bag, the only way to know is to test it out. I don't know where you're located, but if it's still getting below freezing, go out and sleep in your tent with your bag. Everyone's different and bag ratings are subjective at best. If it's just for May shed hunting, you should be fine.

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
20 degree bag is perfect if it gets below that you can always put all your layers on and crawl in your bag. Watch YouTube videos on gear list or use the search in gear forum. Last year was my first hunt and I studied off of this forum and was perfectly fine on a 10 day hunt. You have plenty of time to read up on gear list.

Skull10

WKR
RhynaldsA,

Maybe I'll see you in there. I'm also planning a solo archery hunt in 47 this year. I'll be there August 27th thru September 7th. Good luck to you.

OP
R

RhynaldsA

FNG
Does anyone know where the best place to order topo maps is thanks again for all the help

gabenzeke

WKR
Does anyone know where the best place to order topo maps is thanks again for all the help

I've used gameplanner maps and would recommend them. They offer options to add spots where they think elk will bed, feed, and hang out...i don't think that option is worth it. You can easily just read online where elk do what they do and Mark those same spots for free.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR

Yep.....GAIA

FYI, you can do searches on this forum on a multitude of topics and have hours of reading; Sleeping bags, tents, gear of all sorts, Tactics, etc

I can tell you; THE #1 factor is hunter pressure....plan accordingly.

GotDraw?

WKR
FYI for future years/seasons...

Snowfall this year was generally light in CO, but trying to scout in May can sometimes be very difficult and not fruitful-- depending on where you hunt.

The tops of the mountains may look green, but getting there can be a booger.

I was there 2-3 years ago in May and the snow line was still at around 9k feet. Needed snowshoes above that line. Also, all the snow obscures the main trails in shaded/deep woody drainages, so you will often loose the trail and not find the route up easily. Snow also obscures ground cover (food) and seeps/wallows/water in many areas.

Also, shed hunting will be in winter range at low elevations. Elk generally will not be there in Sept.

Consider saving your travel time and plan to scout after the melt, when you can find trails and get where you need to get, find sign- all without completely exhausting yourself.

best,

JL

I've also been studying 47 for 2018 Archery, mid September. Looks like most of the water on the unit is flowing creeks.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hunting unit 47 otc tag archery Colorado first elk hunt or backpack hunt first any info on the unit would be much appreciated but understand
Should I get a spotting scope
Best stove
Water status on 47
I will be there sept 1 - sept 24
I have a 4 season tent but was thinking of a super tarp also
Then I need some help on clothes like layering
Thanks in advance also looking for clothes to buy I wear xl 38 waist

Clothing
Core lt weight long sleeve/ short sleeve- subalpine
Core mid weight zip-t- Subalpine
Jet stream jacket- Subalpine
Mountain pants- Subalpine
Cloudburts jacket/ pants- Subalpine

I am going to use the new Apex series for this year. I was able to run them last year and they were amazing. I will have that as well as my normal stuff. I will probably run the apex at the beginning and then my normal set up later in the season.

OP
R

RhynaldsA

FNG
I do have ATVs but wasn’t planning on taking them

jmez

WKR
I'd consider taking the ATV's. 47 is steep. Many of the roads are narrow with a lot of switchbacks and rocks. You can bounce along at about 5mph in a pickup or buzz around on them with an ATV. Will save a lot of wear on your vehicle and is much quicker to travel the mountain roads.

Get serious about your conditioning if you are going into 47 on foot.

Agree with no on the spotting scope.

Bag, it all depends on your thermostat. A 30 degree bag works fine for me all through Sept. My hunting partner has a 10 degree bag and sleeps with his clothes on. I sleep in my boxers.

Clothing, again it is all going to depend on your thermostat. My clothing for a September hunt: (several in 47 throughout Sept)
Pants 1 pair, Sitka Ascent no bottom baselayer
Short sleeve merino T shirt (wear about 90% of the time)
Kryptek Hunting shirt
Kryptek Vest
Kuiiu Chugach Rain Jacket and Kuiu Teton rain pants
2 pairs of light weight wool socks
2 pairs merino boxers
Boonie hat and a beanie
1 pair unisulated gloves

You are also going to want a high quality, stiff boot. You should already be breaking these in. You are going to be sidehilling for a month and that is hard on your feet, even with a good boot designed for the terrain.

Last edited: