Struggle with simple cow mews!

Huntinman57

Lil-Rokslider
So I can’t deem to get down the cow mew cadence I’m close but I just can’t get it right. I have watched a few how to videos and I think I sound like the video till I record it and it’s just not right. What’s bad is I’m pretty good with the estrus whines and bugles,chuckling and lip bawl. Any advice or info on the net?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pressure on the reed needs to be subtle on most reeds and try releasing the pressure with light air being pushed to the reed

OP
Huntinman57

Huntinman57

Lil-Rokslider
I do fine with my open reed calls and I think my diaphragm is close enough it would probably be fine I have watched videos of worse call in elk but I’d sure better if it was on point

jmez

WKR
Are you a turkey hunter? Try less pressure on the reed and less back pressure when pushing the air. If you are a turkey caller and used to a lot of pressure when you call to get that snap, it won't work for cow sounds. You bull sounds will be ok but takes a lot less air and a lot less pressure for cow sounds.

jmez

WKR
Are you using much lower jaw movement when breaking the reed? That is another thing I struggled with for quite some time on cow sounds. With a turkey call I don't move my jaw at all, I only use air pressure to break the call. I found that doesn't work for cow elk sounds. Now for cow sounds I blow, lightly and control the reed with jaw movement rather than air.

OP
Huntinman57

Huntinman57

Lil-Rokslider
Well I think I am I wish there was a way to upload a video from my phone and see if you can tell

RyanCmns

WKR
Just practice! Plenty of time to get it down correct pressure varies with different sounds I always practice in the truck while Turkey hunting and shed hunting if everything else is sounding good your a mile ahead of others! Ivr called bulls within 20yds with what I thought was horrible calling due too worn out reads! From now on I'm bringing 3x the amount of diaphrams in!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
Huntinman57

Huntinman57

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone wants to help and pm there phone number I’ll send a video of my not so (cow) cow call see if you can help identify my mistake

ElkNut1

WKR
Huntinman57, consider picking up the ElkNut APP. It will share both Cow & Bull sounds with actual elk on Audio themselves producing their specific sounds along with a defined message they are sending per sound. There is a Record feature with every sound, you can call into it & listen to your calling side by side with a real cow or bull. You will be able to listen to it for yourself & see where you may need your adjustment in your sounds! There's tons more on this APP the Record feature is just one of them. Thanks!
ElkNut-App

ElkNut/Paul

OP
Huntinman57

Huntinman57

Lil-Rokslider
Huntinman57, consider picking up the ElkNut APP. It will share both Cow & Bull sounds with actual elk on Audio themselves producing their specific sounds along with a defined message they are sending per sound. There is a Record feature with every sound, you can call into it & listen to your calling side by side with a real cow or bull. You will be able to listen to it for yourself & see where you may need your adjustment in your sounds! There's tons more on this APP the Record feature is just one of them. Thanks!
ElkNut-App

ElkNut/Paul
I have the app it will help a lot I hope