Just Draw already New Mexico!!!

Bfcayson

FNG
just FYI, the backdoor method that was discussed earlier did work me. we had conflicting purchase and ended up drawing. for what its worth

Non-Res and drew Unit 10 Elk first rifle guided pool. First timer too! Went with one of the tag companies and it paid off for my first time.

Any info? Guides? Etc? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

WRO

WKR
Non-Res and drew Unit 10 Elk first rifle guided pool. First timer too! Went with one of the tag companies and it paid off for my first time.

Any info? Guides? Etc? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
You already have a guide if you drew from the guided pool..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JPD350

WKR
LOL a lot happens when you go turkey hunting in an area with no service!

Congrats to all who drew! I got lucky and drew 1st archery elk in the Gila and a January archery Coues deer

mproberts

WKR
At the end of the day the tags are only valid if you contract and hunt with a guide for at least 2 days during the hunt.

Some guides will hold you to the contract or even hold you to a fee until you drawn, however lots of guides will let you use them for the application and then switch if you draw in a unit they don't normally hunt in. This is also how most application service companies operate, using one guides info for every client despite what area they are applying for.. knowing they will just switch it later. Honestly I have no issues with the system being like that, feel free to change it when you draw the tags. Last thing I would personally want to do is invest a lot of time into finding the best guide when I have such small odds of even drawing a tag.

Foldem

WKR
At the end of the day the tags are only valid if you contract and hunt with a guide for at least 2 days during the hunt.

Some guides will hold you to the contract or even hold you to a fee until you drawn, however lots of guides will let you use them for the application and then switch if you draw in a unit they don't normally hunt in. This is also how most application service companies operate, using one guides info for every client despite what area they are applying for.. knowing they will just switch it later. Honestly I have no issues with the system being like that, feel free to change it when you draw the tags. Last thing I would personally want to do is invest a lot of time into finding the best guide when I have such small odds of even drawing a tag.

Or.... just eliminate the BS guided allocation.

JPD350

WKR
Why don't we just eliminate the BS resident allocation while we're at it?

Now that is a BS statement and it just shows your lack of knowledge on the subject and only makes us residents want to get rid of the OF pool all the more.

I get that since there is a guide pool you have every right to use it, the problem is it has been abused by NR's that don't pay for a fully guided hunt, the reality is that anything less then a fully guided hunt is abusing the whole premise of the pool. The economic need for this subsidy is how the outfitters sold it to the legislature to justify the pool but even with the recent self imposed two day fix the premise of the pool is compromised and is a joke. There should not be any difference in NR's applying in NM, every one of you should be equal in one pool and your ability to purchase a guide should come secondary and after the draw. You complain about your low draw odds when the majority of NR's have to share a pool with 40% less tags then your sham pool.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your hunt

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
The NR guided allocation is nothing but welfare for the industry.
It robs from both residents and NR a like.
When you add in the LO tag situation as well ...NM residents are getting shafted the worst.

mproberts

WKR
First, completely agree it has been abused, but isn't that up to your home state to fix? I was just passing along the rule as it's currently written. If you draw a guided tag you should 100% only be allowed to use it while hunting with a guide. If someone wants to hire a guide that is up to them and honestly it shouldn't have any bearing on their draw odds. I wasn't complaining about draw odds, I was just stating that your odds in the guided pool are incredibly low so I can understand wanting the ability to switch outfitters if you draw a tag. This would be like NRs having to book a hotel or flight or rental car beforehand without even know where you are ending up, it makes no sense.

Second, I was jokingly responding to Foldem when I suggested removing the resident allocation because I know that will never happen... However if we want to talk about allocations I would be interested to hear why people think it's okay for most western states to allocate the vast majority of tags to residents over NRs? I'm sure there are some valid arguments for this but it's hard for me to reconcile the fact that the vast majority of western states' public land (the same land that is home to the vast majority of draw game species) is federally owned and managed yet as a resident you are given more access to resources that everyone contributes to. That would be like National parks charging 10-20x the admittance fee to non-residents or museums in DC limiting access to non-resident tourist. Sure state lands could be limited to residents only and of course landowners should get guaranteed tags, but it's just hard for me to understand why residents should exponentially better access to hunt federal lands. I know people are going to have a meltdown, but I really would like to hear the other side of this.

Now that is a BS statement and it just shows your lack of knowledge on the subject and only makes us residents want to get rid of the OF pool all the more.

I get that since there is a guide pool you have every right to use it, the problem is it has been abused by NR's that don't pay for a fully guided hunt, the reality is that anything less then a fully guided hunt is abusing the whole premise of the pool. The economic need for this subsidy is how the outfitters sold it to the legislature to justify the pool but even with the recent self imposed two day fix the premise of the pool is compromised and is a joke. There should not be any difference in NR's applying in NM, every one of you should be equal in one pool and your ability to purchase a guide should come secondary and after the draw. You complain about your low draw odds when the majority of NR's have to share a pool with 40% less tags then your sham pool.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your hunt

541hunter

WKR
First, completely agree it has been abused, but isn't that up to your home state to fix? I was just passing along the rule as it's currently written. If you draw a guided tag you should 100% only be allowed to use it while hunting with a guide. If someone wants to hire a guide that is up to them and honestly it shouldn't have any bearing on their draw odds. I wasn't complaining about draw odds, I was just stating that your odds in the guided pool are incredibly low so I can understand wanting the ability to switch outfitters if you draw a tag. This would be like NRs having to book a hotel or flight or rental car beforehand without even know where you are ending up, it makes no sense.

Second, I was jokingly responding to Foldem when I suggested removing the resident allocation because I know that will never happen... However if we want to talk about allocations I would be interested to hear why people think it's okay for most western states to allocate the vast majority of tags to residents over NRs? I'm sure there are some valid arguments for this but it's hard for me to reconcile the fact that the vast majority of western states' public land (the same land that is home to the vast majority of draw game species) is federally owned and managed yet as a resident you are given more access to resources that everyone contributes to. That would be like National parks charging 10-20x the admittance fee to non-residents or museums in DC limiting access to non-resident tourist. Sure state lands could be limited to residents only and of course landowners should get guaranteed tags, but it's just hard for me to understand why residents should exponentially better access to hunt federal lands. I know people are going to have a meltdown, but I really would like to hear the other side of this.

Except wildlife belongs to the state. The public lands the animals reside in belong to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mproberts

WKR
Yup, understand the wildlife belongs to the state but without resources and land the wildlife doesn't have a home. It would seem that the federal land and funding is what provides the home for the vast majority of wildlife. I think we can all agree that without the federal land and funding there would be significantly less game. I'd love to see a study on what percentage of funding/resources/land the state contributes currently to what it takes for wildlife to thrive in western states, I can all but promise you that it isn't 90+% like most tag allocations.