Planning a first hunt

jchal3

FNG
Hello,

I'm considering an elk hunt this year or next. I have a friend in Vail Colorado. Are the good put licking access areas around there to hunt Elk. I plan to get an OTC tag. Is staying legal as simple as purchase a tag, and go after the Elk, or do the tags correspond to certain units and certain times.
I'm from Kentucky, and have never hunted out of state. So I have no idea what I'm getting into any info would be helpful.
Thanks

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
Start with the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website and go through their big game hunting info and also their Elk Hunting University online. It gives all the info about tags on up through processing an animal.

There is plenty of public land in that area and all of them hold some number of elk.

OTC tags are good for any OTC unit for that season. For example and OTC archery season tag is good for any OTC archery unit. You can purchase your tag online or at any tag vendor or CPW office.

You'll get some other input, but there are lots of threads with great beginner info. A member named Finch started one a couple years ago and it was a great resource for my first trip to CO in 2016. My hunting partner and I had a thread called "Ross and Adam: First CO Elk Hunt Planning Thread". Google will help you find all those Rokslide threads.

Start reading all the resources now and start getting excited. :)

Actually here are those threads. Nice stroll down memory lane.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?14408-Planning-my-first-elk-hunt-(Colorado)

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/elk/42225-ross-adam-co-elk-hunt-planning-thread.html

OP
J

jchal3

FNG
Hey thanks for the info...can't wait to get started really.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

smartweed

FNG
Elk hunting university on Colorado's site is your best bet for a quick start guide. Just pick an area and go, it's so different from eastern hunting you can't begin to understand it until maybe your third trip. I say that because your first trip will be overwhelming from the awesome scenery and atmosphere and you'll find the hunting to be secondary. Second trip you'll take in the hunt a bit better but still be walking around on cloud nine. Third trip you'll probably be able to figure some of it and maybe have done success. So go, it'll change your life if you have an open mind about it and don't base success on killing.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk