CO 1st season and hiker traffic

PredatorX

WKR
This should be my first time hunting Colorado's first season rifle /elk. Are you still seeing a lot of hikers around this time? Co's first season is Oct 13th - 17th. If I draw, I will be in a unit that seems to have a lot of traffic.

I think it depends on the unit and weather. Usually Labor Day is the peak, but last year in 43 there were quite a few hikers in the area. They tend to stay on the trail so it really didn’t impact my hunt. But you can see a lot of people on the main trails. And if you have 14ers in the area, those can be busy.

I would just roll with it though. And any bad weather will kill that traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shotgunwilly

Lil-Rokslider
You will likely see more hikers and dog walkers than you can possibly imagine, the closer you get to the front range, the worse it will be.

oldgoat

WKR
I hunt the front range and see zero hikers away from the trails and you don't have to be all that far from them, and that's in September in the height of the Aspen viewing.

Don’t expect to find elk on designated trails. You can use them for hiking, but get off them for actually hunting purposes. There can be a lot of people on designated trails. That doesn’t mean there aren’t elk a mile an a half or farther from those trails.

Cam_Shrum

FNG
I would say to always expect to see hikers. There is always a good chance of seeing them out in the back/side country any day of the week and any season. But get to the elevation you want then get off the trail!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
Thanks guys. I'm having a bit of buyers remorse on the unit i selected (481) but appreciate the advice.

530Chukar

WKR
Hunted 1st season this last year and zero hikers. Did see a couple hunters but not many for how crowded the area was supposed to be. Even hunter numbers were incredibly low past 3 miles in.

GotDraw?

WKR
Once you are off the main trails, you will have the woods to yourself.
Don't sweat the hikers on the main trails, they will not screw up your hunt.

JL

Ruskin

WKR
I’m hunting SW CO. In 5 years only run into “hikers” twice. And only on the main trail.

dcreiss

FNG
I hunt a unit on the Front Range each year during 1st Rifle, I have yet to see a hiker on the mountain with me and I am able to watch the cars drive by on I-25 with my spotter. Hikers are out there but if you go where there aren't cleared trails you will avoid them altogether. And there are elk there, though not in near the numbers as out on the western slope or in northern CO.

Saw hikers,dogs, mountain bike beginning of 3rd last year till the snow. Didn't know a trial was up there. Was not on OnX, locals said trail was put in a year before.

elkduds

WKR
There will still be some hikers climbing 14ers in the wilderness area: Oxford, Harvard, Yale, Columbia.