Arizona 7E Early Archery Elk

I was lucky enough to draw the 7E early Archery tag with only a few points. I'd like to hear from anyone who may have hunted this tag in the past that may want to help out a fellow hunter. If you could please PM me or email me at [email protected], I am not trying to blow up anyone's favorite spots on the internet. I am more looking for overall hunt experience/issues which may help me to gauge my own expectations as a DIY hunter. I know the country is rough, it has been extremely dry so far, and the elk have been hit hard by "peaks tags".

I have killed two archery elk in the past in other states so I do have some experience. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry O.

i’ll be up there in that unit for otc archery deer and scouting a bit. buddy drew 11m early elk so i’ll be across the way but there is a decent herd that moves between the two units. feel free to shoot me a message closer to the season or after deer and i’ll get you any info i found.

WRO

WKR
I was lucky enough to draw the 7E early Archery tag with only a few points. I'd like to hear from anyone who may have hunted this tag in the past that may want to help out a fellow hunter. If you could please PM me or email me at [email protected], I am not trying to blow up anyone's favorite spots on the internet. I am more looking for overall hunt experience/issues which may help me to gauge my own expectations as a DIY hunter. I know the country is rough, it has been extremely dry so far, and the elk have been hit hard by "peaks tags".

I have killed two archery elk in the past in other states so I do have some experience. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry O.
My buddy has the early rifle tag and had it a couple years ago too..

Go as high as possible, you'll be back in at least 7 miles.

Lots of bulls, but you'll need to be tough to kill one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Arbutusbucks
i’ll be up there in that unit for otc archery deer and scouting a bit. buddy drew 11m early elk so i’ll be across the way but there is a decent herd that moves between the two units. feel free to shoot me a message closer to the season or after deer and i’ll get you any info i found.

I appreciate it taggert. I'll send you a PM as we get closer.

OP
Arbutusbucks
My buddy has the early rifle tag and had it a couple years ago too..

Go as high as possible, you'll be back in at least 7 miles.

Lots of bulls, but you'll need to be tough to kill one.

I've been in some rough stuff, but just looking at google earth it looks steep steep. Thanks for the reply good luck with your tag.

OP
Arbutusbucks
Anyone else have any input or experience in this area or have hunted it in the past? I picked up a flatlne map, still gathering info.

WRO

WKR
I've been in some rough stuff, but just looking at google earth it looks steep steep. Thanks for the reply good luck with your tag.
I'll see if bens willing to share info, do you have access to horses?

OP
Arbutusbucks
I'll see if bens willing to share info, do you have access to horses?

Unfortunately I won't have access to horses. I'll take any info I can get just PM me if he feels like sharing.

WRO

WKR
Unfortunately I won't have access to horses. I'll take any info I can get just PM me if he feels like sharing.
Him and wild bill both have tags this year, I'll reach out and see what they're willing to share.

trevvamos

Lil-Rokslider
My brother had this tag last year. Tough unit, but elk can be found in every inch of it.

jbw899

Lil-Rokslider
How did your hunt go? My buddy and I have late season bull rifle tags. I'm heading out the week before to scout but any pointers you have to give me a head start before I get out there would be much appreciated.