First Elk Hunt - DIY - OTC - Colorado (need help!)

OP
Z

zdwhite2

FNG
Cover ground until you hear them, see them or smell them. Then start hunting them. They aren't just big deer.

You can't and won't beat their nose, don't try. Take a few wind puffers and use them often. If you are walking with the wind at your back you are simply hiking in the mountains. You have to pay close attention to both the prevailing wind and the thermals. You need to figure out what time the thermals are switching where you are hunting. Hunting the wind correctly is going to be one of your biggest hurdles.

Look for northeast facing slopes with benches right below steep terrain. They elk will usually be about 3/4 of the way up on these.

Not familiar with that area of Co but if it is thick find meadows hidden in the pine trees. They will all look like the best elk spot in the world. If there isn't very fresh sign there the elk aren't there, find another one.

You have to hunt elk where they are, not where you want them to be or where you think they should be. Cover ground until you find them.

Thanks man that really helps, I want to identify 10-20 good looking spots on the map and hike around them until I find sign. It sounds like I should be looking for the same type of sign as deer, scrapes, rubs, and bedding that smells like a barn yard.

OP
Z

zdwhite2

FNG
You do realize how many OTC units you pass driving to 71/74?

Yea I know there are a lot of units along the way it just seemed like 71/74 are primarily public land and were mostly around 8,000 - 11,000ft which is the elevation I thought I should be hunting. I have also been digging through a lot of the harvest and population data which seemed to show they had a good number of elk and slightly higher success rates.

wytx

WKR
My advice would be stay out of bedding areas. Once you bump, them out of there they are gone from that area.
Sounds like you may have some guys from close by to coordinate with, do it if possible. Elk are one animal that hunting in pairs is a benefit, for calling and packing.
Find water and go from there.
Find the cows and you'll find the bulls in Sept.

bz_711

WKR
Lots of great info already...one reason I love Rokslide.

I'll be heading out this Sept as well for my 9th consecutive year...I've only had 5 days to hunt each year...it can be done!

When I started I had no clue, it was simply put on the miles until I found elk or sign that was so good I had to slow down...the more times that happens the more you start to figure it out...they can be anywhere!

My .02 cents:
1)maps/terrain mean very little, the elk are where they don't feel pressured...far more important to hunt based on where people are not...might only be 1/2 mile from road, but it's a nasty uphill to get to and all blow downs...but elk love being in a place they aren't pressured.
2)wind checker! I test the wind so much that sometimes I look down and my body and bow are covered in white powder...you will never fool an elk's nose!

Have fun and good luck - and be prepared to return every Sept from here on out. STAY POSITIVE! Take pics and share your story here on Rokslide!

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
If things this fall continue to go the way they are right now, my advice would be to find water and sit on it. We are bone dry here right now. It was a crappy winter and our snowpack is 35% of the 30 year average. There is a severe risk that a lot of the elk country might be on fire or already burnt up. Keeping my fingers crossed that that isn't the case!

As mentioned before your map wont tell you anything other then just find large blocks of land you can cover. Wilderness still gets hit hard by a lot of hikers and I've seen some weird people in the middle of nowhere. The biggest bulls I've seen in Colorado have been above 12000 feet. Hunting deer I've glassed up elk that are bedding in the open like bighorn sheep in places the bowhunters aren't. Elevation is also hard to pinpoint. Pressure is what moves elk to their hidey holes.
I would also think about hunting closer to the beginning of the season for that reason. I have heard them bugling in august while scouting deer. The last few weeks of September around 11000 feet can be damn cold. If your living out of a backpack that's more clothes and cold gear you will need. It will spit snow on Sept 1 in places and you need to be prepared but not as likely as the end of the hunt.
GMU 74 is a lot of public but also has numerous popular trails (Colorado trail, continental divide etc.)that cover it and a highway that a ton of bow hunters park on and use to access the entire length of it. 74 is straight up and down and 5 days of hard hunting will destroy your body. As mentioned I would allow a few more days if only to sit back a few and regain your strength, sit a wallow one night and run and gun the next. If you want to find a unit with a honeyhole you can come back and hunt year after year as you learn why drive an extra 5 hours across the state and pass other good areas. Just make sure your a few hours outside of Denver, GJ or Durango and throw a dart at a map. The weekend warriors wont hit these areas as hard and the NR's wont have it all covered. There's a lot of country and a lot of elk in that state, just don't be to picky when it comes to antlers.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
GMU 75 is also a good unit with lots of public land and maybe a bit less used for other recreational purposes. I dont think the recreational use has much effect on the elk if it is where they want to be. Most the public does not venture off the trail and are on the trail during the day when the elk have moved back into cover in my experience.

GMU 75 is also a good unit with lots of public land and maybe a bit less used for other recreational purposes. I dont think the recreational use has much effect on the elk if it is where they want to be. Most the public does not venture off the trail and are on the trail during the day when the elk have moved back into cover in my experience.

GMU 75 is right near durango, so with the 710 miles of trail used for hiking, biking, riding horses and ATVs in the 800,000 acres of public land here, I think there’s a lot of recreational activities going on here, and it does affect the elk.

I would give my self more time on the way out. Hopefully get there and to elevation so you can acclimate to the altitude, some people who are in great shape (my son) may have some sickness the 1st day or two. It will also give you a non hunting day to scout and get your plans together. As "Objects may be farther than they appear" :).

I also can't stress enough to get in shape, because it can kick your butt. The better shape you are in the more enjoyable your hunt will be. It is hard to prepare for the elevation here in the East.

GPS, Maps, spare batteries,.... yada, yada.

Good Luck,

tsloniger

Lil-Rokslider
Are you hunting solo? If so I would consider trying to find a partner. My first elk hunt was in Gunnison 15 years ago. I hunted 2 more seasons there directly after that year before moving my hunting to Idaho. I didn’t care for the concurrent ML season during archery.

There will definitely be a learning curve but that doesn’t mean you can’t be successful your first attempt...to my surprise I actually called in a bull to 20 yards my first full day of ever hunting elk...all you can really do is prepare yourself as much as possible. Get in great shape, study maps, get proficient with a good gps and compass, cover as much ground as possible. Get a good packable camp together and get as far away from roads, access and other hunters as You possibly can. Once there are pressured they are tough to kill. I think elk are far more aware of scent than an eastern whitetail but don’t seem to react as quick to visual danger.

OP
Z

zdwhite2

FNG
As mentioned before your map wont tell you anything other then just find large blocks of land you can cover. Wilderness still gets hit hard by a lot of hikers and I've seen some weird people in the middle of nowhere. The biggest bulls I've seen in Colorado have been above 12000 feet. Hunting deer I've glassed up elk that are bedding in the open like bighorn sheep in places the bowhunters aren't. Elevation is also hard to pinpoint. Pressure is what moves elk to their hidey holes.
I would also think about hunting closer to the beginning of the season for that reason. I have heard them bugling in august while scouting deer. The last few weeks of September around 11000 feet can be damn cold. If your living out of a backpack that's more clothes and cold gear you will need. It will spit snow on Sept 1 in places and you need to be prepared but not as likely as the end of the hunt.
GMU 74 is a lot of public but also has numerous popular trails (Colorado trail, continental divide etc.)that cover it and a highway that a ton of bow hunters park on and use to access the entire length of it. 74 is straight up and down and 5 days of hard hunting will destroy your body. As mentioned I would allow a few more days if only to sit back a few and regain your strength, sit a wallow one night and run and gun the next. If you want to find a unit with a honeyhole you can come back and hunt year after year as you learn why drive an extra 5 hours across the state and pass other good areas. Just make sure your a few hours outside of Denver, GJ or Durango and throw a dart at a map. The weekend warriors wont hit these areas as hard and the NR's wont have it all covered. There's a lot of country and a lot of elk in that state, just don't be to picky when it comes to antlers.

I appreciate the help man, I plan on mixing it up the week I am out there between camping out and setting up shop at my truck. Also I have been doing crossfit to get in shape and running a lot to get as ready as possible for the elevation.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
GMU 75 is right near durango, so with the 710 miles of trail used for hiking, biking, riding horses and ATVs in the 800,000 acres of public land here, I think there’s a lot of recreational activities going on here, and it does affect the elk.
His proposed unit 74 is also in Durango so if he wants to hunt this region there will be no escaping rec. activities. My opinion was that 75 might be less used for recreational activities. Most of the heavily used mountain bike and hiking trails in the high country are in 74. My experience differs from yours about how much it affects them.

rcairney

FNG
After spending the last 8 months pouring over hours of research on what unit to pick for this fall archery hunt, I finally picked 74, nerves are finally at ease...until about 30 seconds ago when I find this thread....

After spending the last 8 months pouring over hours of research on what unit to pick for this fall archery hunt, I finally picked 74, nerves are finally at ease...until about 30 seconds ago when I find this thread....

^LOL... I feel your pain I've done that a dozen or so times over the last year.