First Elk Hunt - DIY - OTC - Colorado (need help!)

zdwhite2

FNG
Hey Guys,

New to the forum, but I have been reading a lot of the elk hunting posts. I live in PA and never hunted outside of the state, I am going to Colorado in September for the last week of bow season to hunt elk and have no idea what I am getting into. I have worked for the forest service in the WV Wilderness areas and I am comfortable in the woods but I have never spent any time in the rockies or out west at all for that matter.

I am not looking for guys to give me their spots or tell me where to go, I have no problem doing the research on my end. I am more so just looking for advice on how to hunt elk in Colorado that time of year. I am an avid Whitetail hunter and have shot a handful of big deer on public land in PA but I do not know much about the habitat or terrain out west. Any help or information you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!

I am getting an OTC tag and have been targeting the SW part of the state specifically unit 71 and 74. I will be driving out there and sleeping out of my truck or camping out each night. From what I have found so far I should be targeting elevations 9,000 ft and up and looking for the thickest nastiest habitat I can find, but these are some of the questions I have:

- What type of habitat should I be targeting?
- What type of topography should I be looking for on maps?
- Should I be targeting Wilderness areas or Forest Service land?
- Am I on the right track with targeting unit 71 and 74?
- Should I be targeting a spot to glass from for the first day or 2? or just dive in and start hunting?

I plan on hunting my ass off for 5 days straight and I am willing to work as hard as I need to so I can stick an elk, again any information you guys can give me would really be appreciated.

mmac

WKR
ZD-
I grew up in PA as well. Spent a lot of time in Colorado and thinking of the OTC archery 74 as well. I will be there the month of July and plan to scout around quite a bit. Hoping they don't move to much for the start of the season. Happy to share what I can, meet up to hunt and share plans. I have never hunted that area before or have any good areas yet, so sure someone more familiar with the unit will jump in.

big44a4

WKR
ZD-
I grew up in PA as well. Spent a lot of time in Colorado and thinking of the OTC archery 74 as well. I will be there the month of July and plan to scout around quite a bit. Hoping they don't move to much for the start of the season. Happy to share what I can, meet up to hunt and share plans. I have never hunted that area before or have any good areas yet, so sure someone more familiar with the unit will jump in.

Hunted 74 last year with no luck, but only hunted 4.5 days due to unforeseen circumstances. Good idea to camp from truck and stay mobile. I’d advise on a scouting trip closer to season in August if possible compared to July. Look for rubs and old signs of the rut from last season. Not a ton of areas to glass where I was so spotting scope is up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also from PA, went out a few years ago running blind. Stumble across a few elk never got a shot though. When I go back I’m going to hunt the same we do for whitetail. Sit and wait mornings/evenings and scout mid day

Read up on tactics. There isn't one best way but I'd venture to say most of the guys here and the pros that many follow--Newberg, ElkNut, Corey Jacobsen, Born and Raised--cover lots of ground focused on calling while trying to find a bull that wants to play. Minimal glassing. I'd recommend learning about where elk like to hang in September. It's not normally the thick, nasty. The bulls are with the cows. The elk are usually high and looking for good feed near cover. Pressure can be a major factor in busy OTC areas as well.

Pick an area. Put some boots on the ground looking for sign. Look until you find it. Hunt them smart after that. They aren't deer. They often run for MILES when you bugger them. Moniter hunting pressure and use it to your advantage. OTC CO elk is a dedicated thing. Learn the area and you will stat to kill elk. So if you like the area you hunt this year, plan to keep going back.

gabenzeke

WKR
I hunted a wilderness area on 74 last year for....1 day. Holy cow were there a ton of people in that area. The plus side is there are tons of places in that general area where you can get away from crowds. We moved to another area that was NF land and only saw one guy the rest of our 2 weeks. Definitely need more than 5 days though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have hunted 74 and backpacked it in July multiple times in the last couple years. In July I have seen huge groups of elk in areas that they are not in come Sept. I have also seen elk in Sept and they are not in the thick and nasty feeding in the mornings.

big44a4

WKR
I have hunted 74 and backpacked it in July multiple times in the last couple years. In July I have seen huge groups of elk in areas that they are not in come Sept. I have also seen elk in Sept and they are not in the thick and nasty feeding in the mornings.

I agree with seeing them in July and not in September. Also can’t account for where they may be pushed to from hunting pressure until you have experience in that unit.

Tjwjr89

FNG
Pm sent. Not much glassing in 71. A decent pair of binos is all you'll need there. Lots of hunters/ hikers in there because of all the trail heads. Almost completely dark timber and Meadows with a few small Aspen patches mixed in toward the creek bottoms.

jmez

WKR
Cover ground until you hear them, see them or smell them. Then start hunting them. They aren't just big deer.

You can't and won't beat their nose, don't try. Take a few wind puffers and use them often. If you are walking with the wind at your back you are simply hiking in the mountains. You have to pay close attention to both the prevailing wind and the thermals. You need to figure out what time the thermals are switching where you are hunting. Hunting the wind correctly is going to be one of your biggest hurdles.

Look for northeast facing slopes with benches right below steep terrain. They elk will usually be about 3/4 of the way up on these.

Not familiar with that area of Co but if it is thick find meadows hidden in the pine trees. They will all look like the best elk spot in the world. If there isn't very fresh sign there the elk aren't there, find another one.

You have to hunt elk where they are, not where you want them to be or where you think they should be. Cover ground until you find them.

cvbot

FNG
The first 2 days you will be sucking wind just getting acclimated to the elevation. Try and budget more time if you can, or just set realistic expectations for yourself.

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat as you. I can't give you any specific advice however I feel like I have learned a ton of information from podcasts. I listen to them everyday on my way to work and during my runs and hikes to prepare for the trip. Randy Newberg, Gritty Bowmen, Hunt backcountry, meateater, nock on ( when it pertains to elk) and a few others are filled with more information than I can remember. This site has been great in the short time I have been on it. Personally I just don't like posting the General "help I'm new" type of questions because all of the information you will get has either been talked about before or its to general to really help. My plan is to just try and gather as much information as possible, ask specific question when they come up, and get out in the woods.

OP
Z

zdwhite2

FNG
The first 2 days you will be sucking wind just getting acclimated to the elevation. Try and budget more time if you can, or just set realistic expectations for yourself.

Yea that's what I am planning I cant get more time out there but if I see and elk and have a good encounter I would consider it a win.