Archery in Idaho

pbcarch

WKR
Quick question ....still prepping for our first elk hunt in Idaho come September. I have a kifaru pack and the grabbit for packing in with the bow....but what do you guys use for normal hunting mode?

I expect to be moving a lot so cant expect to always have the bow in my hand. Placing the bow in the grabbit with the pack in day mode seems inconvenient. You guys use any bow slings? And are they really worth it?

Paul

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bow slings can be very inconvenient, if we’re packing in deep with camp on our backs, then i have it strapped to my pack. But if we’re in hunting mode, I’m carrying it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only time my bow isn't in my hand is when it's dark. At that point I have only used the compression straps on my pack to hold it on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TWP

FNG
No, they are not worth it. Bow slings and pack straps make for a bad combination. If you are planning on moving all the time, you need to take a very hard look at ALL of your kit. I know bows get heavy after a few days, but it isn’t nearly as heavy as the regret of not being ready on a surprise opportunity. I can damn near guarantee you that you will be hiking to a pre-determined spot and run into elk, happens every time. In the hand is much more ready than in a sling on your back. Pay the man, we have 11 months away from bulls, do it right and reap the benefits.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Thanks guys....heard loud and clear, no sling

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cbiddle

Lil-Rokslider
If you got your pack on you can throw your bow behind your neck and kind of balance in on the frame. Think like your stabilizer and your sight on the sides of your neck. With a 26” Kifaru frame I can walk hands free with my bow sitting back there. Your neck will get a little sore eventually but I just deal with it. Beats the hell out of a sling.

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going to try this, this year. He uses the bow holder on his belt and the stabilizer behind his arm balances the bow.

c052521b8087b3fd54e138bb8e09c849.jpg

8c657d512c2ca31d8cf55be91980fb0f.jpg

CALLING A BULL ACROSS THE WIDE OPEN - EP 11 - LAND OF THE FREE - YouTube

Crossover Archery Stabilizer Video Review (Corey Jacobsen of Elk101.com) - YouTube

hskrhntr

FNG
I keep my bow in my hand pretty much all the time to protect it as much as anything. There aren't many places I've been where I don't end up going under, around, or through some thick stuff every now and then. If my bow is strapped to my pack I can feel it catch on stuff and I hate that.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going to try this, this year. He uses the bow holder on his belt and the stabilizer behind his arm balances the bow.

c052521b8087b3fd54e138bb8e09c849.jpg

8c657d512c2ca31d8cf55be91980fb0f.jpg

CALLING A BULL ACROSS THE WIDE OPEN - EP 11 - LAND OF THE FREE - YouTube

Crossover Archery Stabilizer Video Review (Corey Jacobsen of Elk101.com) - YouTube

I wasn’t advertising that stabilizer, just wanted to give you the video clip where he talked about how he carried his bow.

K_pem

WKR
Idk where in Idaho your planning on hunting, but if you are coming up north where im at, i can promise you you'll want your bow in your hand and an arrow nocked! Unless your traveling like previously mentioned, hiking in/out in the dark. We had at least 2-3 occasions this season walking up on an unexpected elk and before you know it all you see is an a$$ end.

kicker338

WKR
Idk where in Idaho your planning on hunting, but if you are coming up north where im at, i can promise you you'll want your bow in your hand and an arrow nocked! Unless your traveling like previously mentioned, hiking in/out in the dark. We had at least 2-3 occasions this season walking up on an unexpected elk and before you know it all you see is an a$$ end.

Don't ya just love it when that happens ha, ha. Been there done that or maybe I should say happened to me more than once LOL.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I hunt southern/central idaho where it is more open. Similar to others on here, bow in hand when hunting and on pack when traveling. But there is a third situation: Glassing! When I need to throw my glass up, I slide my string over my right side belt pouch or side arm (depending on if I am carrying one). This allows the bow to hang while I glass. At some point I will probably get a string clip to go on my pack belt, but for now this seems to work just fine. Before I figured out to hang the bow from my hip belt, I was always setting it down on the cam or sight. My lower cam serving was usually shot after a season and i'm amazed I never broke a pin or knocked my sight out.

K_pem

WKR
Good point Tag! When glassing I’ve always let my bow hang by my wrist on the lanyard but that’s just me. I’ve also done what someone else mentioned and balanced my bow over my neck too

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
I like the hook thing on my belt. I don't leave it in there while walking but while taking a break or just standing i put the handle in there. Used to put it on the ground while bugling or taking a break. Learned that mistake the hard way