New Mexico 16e and 51

Trott2478

FNG
I drew New Mexico 16e rifle, mule friend drew 51 rifle both hunts are 10-22 - 10/26. This will be both of ours first elk hunt, any help on either unit is greatly appreciated!

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I've hunted in, or helped hunters in, both units. Happy to help. Send me a PM. Good luck.

Here is a youth rifle hunt in 16E. Be in very good shape for this hunt, both for the hunting and the extraction.

[video=youtube_share;avc0m2pkeFc]https://youtu.be/avc0m2pkeFc[/video]

Kindo

WKR
I've hunted in, or helped hunters in, both units. Happy to help. Send me a PM. Good luck.

Here is a youth rifle hunt in 16E. Be in very good shape for this hunt, both for the hunting and the extraction.

[video=youtube_share;avc0m2pkeFc]https://youtu.be/avc0m2pkeFc[/video]

Randy, awful nice of you to crawl out from under your accounting "rock" and share some tips!

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Randy, awful nice of you to crawl out from under your accounting "rock" and share some tips!

When I started applying for tags in multiple western states 20+ years ago, I would have appreciated a few pointers along the way, so if my experience can help others have a good time, doing so puts a smile on my face. Good luck to you this season.

OP
T

Trott2478

FNG
Well if you would like to come along on either hunt????😜 just kidding I know your busy, but seriously. I sent you a pm hopefully you got it, and thank you

I am hesitant to chime in after Randy already offered, but PM me if you want some additional help. Although my info is dated I know the unit well. I have hunted it 5 times during archery season the last being 2009. I know the unit fairly well and would be happy to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
T

Trott2478

FNG
Thank you for all of the help so far, is a spotting scope something most of you would take on this hunt, or dave the weight and money and just go with binos?

Jbark60

FNG
Randy why didn't you share the elk marathon hunt with Corey Jacobson for a more realistic expectation of the unit?

Randy why didn't you share the elk marathon hunt with Corey Jacobson for a more realistic expectation of the unit?

Perhaps because the hunt the OP drew is a rifle hunt, and the elk marathon with Corey was an archery hunt? Totally different hunt if you can shoot a few hundred yards.

Thank you for all of the help so far, is a spotting scope something most of you would take on this hunt, or dave the weight and money and just go with binos?

I prefer my swaro 10x42 on a tripod to find elk then I just use my legs to get a closer look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
T

Trott2478

FNG
Again, thank you all for your help, can’t wait to go, but so nervous as this will be my first out of state hunt and first elk hunt!

vthokee

WKR
both are great hunts. If possible try and get out and get some boots on the ground before any of the seasons start. It will give you a good idea of the land and also your physical ability. I would not worry about a spotter just get some good binos.

OP
T

Trott2478

FNG
Off to Cabela’s today, spend some more hard earned money! Still heavily thinking about a light weight spotter, possibly leupold 15-30x 50. 16e looks like there is some wide open spaces and a spotter might save my legs a little work, hopefully for the pack out.

smokinf15

WKR
I archery hunted it 3 times when I was stationed at Holloman. It’s not the same as the other gila units. Can be a tough hunt. Feel free to contact me. Beware of Dave Farr, cattle rancher who owns a lot of land around Pelona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swampokie

WKR
Off to Cabela’s today, spend some more hard earned money! Still heavily thinking about a light weight spotter, possibly leupold 15-30x 50. 16e looks like there is some wide open spaces and a spotter might save my legs a little work, hopefully for the pack out.

Check out the cabelas krotos. Awesome little spotter

chops24

WKR
f4d3970e33c7c6cadbabf3a9bef50883.jpg
e9e8c490946910b9d693872bbd426c37.jpg
35778ccede1934338d153b616ac30868.jpg

This is from Pelona a few weeks ago, great area but rough on trucks/tires and hard to walk in. A lot of lava rocks. Great elk country though. I don’t carry a spotter out there, just my 10s on a tripod. I don’t feel the need on an elk hunt

smokinf15

WKR
That’s where I hunted and camped as well. I never found a good water source to drink from. Everything plugged my katadyne after a liter.