New Mexico Unit 45 Muzz

30ptbuck

FNG
Just found out I drew NM Unit 45 non-guided muzzleloader Oct 6-11. This will be my first time in the state and I'm super excited about it. I've been reading on the unit a little bit and most guys recommend acquiring pack-out assistance. I'll be by myself and wondering anyone's opinions on the matter.

Would anyone be willing to share information regarding their use of guides in the area (packing out vs. semi-guided vs. ....). I like to DIY things (ID, WY in the past) but am interested in getting the most info possible of the area as I'm not sure my abilities to sneak out and scout this summer (coming from eastern IA). I realize this is a DIY site, but I'm not above going guided since I'll be by myself this year.

Additionally, if anyone has any previous information for this unit regarding good places to park and pack in, I would be very appreciative. Not asking for specific hunting spots, but I have read a few threads on other sites regarding vehicle break-ins and theft.

Congrats, I helped a friend on this hunt a few years ago and we killed a bull about 7 miles in. Weather was cold and crisp at night and made it nice for taking our time packing it out. That being said the pack out is hell. I have a few spots to help you if you want to PM me. Alone in the wilderness is awesome but overwhelming when it comes to packing out a bull elk on your back. I would start recruiting a buddy or two now.

850elkguy

FNG
Congrats on the draw. Drew a 2nd season archery tag for the unit. Never been to this unit, but sounds like fun. Good luck to all!

OP

30ptbuck

FNG
Thank you to all for your information/PM's. It is very much appreciated. Congrats to you other folks in your draw as well! I'll try to share scouting info if I get a chance to get out there prior to season.

DRUSS

WKR
I believe most of my scouting will be Google earth as its roughly 20hr drive for me. But will be exhausting my resources to get some better ideas of places to look into. I do believe we're going to be using a pack services for deeper access. But it's not confirmed yet. I have been in contact with a couple so far.

trmin8r

FNG
I hunted this unit a few years ago. Rent some horses around the iron gate area!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m surprised this needs to be said but I run into hunters up Hyde Park Rd every year. For various reasons I would suggest accessing from literally anywhere else. For what it’s worth.

Most of the time, you'll be going uphill from the trailhead, so it's all downhill once you kill him. Depending on your knees, that may not be a good thing. I killed a deer 7+ miles in last year and had the good fortune of running into some friends up there who helped me pack it out. It got me thinking I don't think it'd have been feasible to get an elk out of there by myself. If I ever draw that unit for elk again, I'll be making arrangements for somebody to help me pack it out, preferable somebody with a horse. The nights are always cool, so as long as you cache your meat properly, it'll be just fine for several days.

OP

30ptbuck

FNG
Thanks for all the great info! trmin8er, do you happen to have any contact information? I googled a few things and didn't come up with much.

I spent a lot of time in that unit last year.. although I was unsuccessful in my deer hunt, here are some takeaways.

Get away from the roads. 90% of the hunters in this unit are near roads, and you’ll see very few deer. I think the packing in method will serve you well

Train for elevation. The big animals like to hang out up high, and it’s rough on your lungs.

Carry a sidearm. I saw a bear and mountain lion up there last year, so be careful.

Frank

P.S it’s some of the prettiest country I’ve ever seen. Enjoy!

trmin8r

FNG
Thanks for all the great info! trmin8er, do you happen to have any contact information? I googled a few things and didn't come up with much.

No I don’t. I just remember driving down to the iron gate trailhead and hiking in a little bit and realized pretty quickly I was not prepared for that. Saw a guy come in, rented a horse on the same road that goes to the trailhead, and a few hours after he rode in he was back at the trailhead with a 6x6 bull.

I have a 45 muzzy elk tag for this year I’m stoked!! What kind of caliber of bulls should we be expecting? And has anyone been out there yet this year? If so what are your thoughts?

Bow-hnt

FNG
Hamilton Mesa, the jarosa, sky line ridge, rincon bonito, are great areas
Huey lee at Terros, good guide.

Cornbore

FNG
Pretty generic spots in unit 45 Dave. Shootakill, I was there muzz a few years ago, saw some nice bulls (300 inch plus a little) but didn’t connect. Better pm me and I will try to help.