Thinking about forming a crew

Mule

FNG
I really enjoyed watching the BRO: Land of the Free series! What a difference a good hunting crew makes. Check it out on youtube if you don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm in north Fort Worth and I've backpack archery hunted Colorado DIY OTC in the Weminuche, Eagle's Nest, and meh: with an lackluster outfitter once near Steamboat--with elk encounters each time. I have only hunted with one buddy each trip, but having an expanded crew would seem to add a lot of value in a lot of ways I think.

They say Texas seems to send the most hunters to Colorado for elk, but I haven't run into any Texan elk hunters here or there. I'm curious if anyone in my area is looking for the same sort of thing? It's important to note in my demographics that I'm not a spring chicken by any means--I'm in my young 50's, I have a veteran's disability (back issues) that makes me work a little harder than most, and I will pray to Jesus before I venture out just like the Born and Raised Outdoors crew does (one of the things I like about those guys) so if that bugs you then you ought to know that ahead of time, but I'm seasoned in the back country both during and outside of hunting. I don't yet have any go-to honey holes, and I haven't hunted elk long enough to know what drainages hold all the elk from year to year. I do love the mountains, elk bugles ramp up my adrenalin, and I do know how to call.

My buddy and I are poised for a two-week trip Aug30 - Sep15 -- Colorado location still TBD. If anyone is interested in discussing a crew situation, or even range shooting and talking elk-hunting I'd love to hear from you. Maybe we can connect at Cinnamon Creek Archery Range. I need to get my 60yd pin adjusted anyway.

TacoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
This limited to Texans only or are you open to other NRs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whip

WKR
A crew would make camp life more enjoyable - I get that. But as for helping the elk hunting my opinion would be you are better off with one or at most two other people. Four of us are headed west this fall but once there we are splitting into two groups of two and packing in to separate areas.
Maybe if you're planning to set up a big base camp and drive to hunt different areas you could have the best of both worlds.

Trial153

WKR
everyone i know involvled in organized crime ends up dead or in jail.....

wewarev

FNG
I'm from Florida but I've been to Cinnamon Creek and that is an awesome place. Lucky you.
Sending you a PM

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
Mule

Mule

FNG
I think I’m looking for guys that are in close proximity to support “train to hunt”, planning, and such.. I’m no sure it would work (click) when folks are spread across the state or farther.

OP
Mule

Mule

FNG
Yes-four is a crowd when chasing down elk. But there’s value when 2-3 guys are in this drainage and 2-3 are in the next one all communicating the hunt results, taking part in planning and tactics, encouraging each other when the hunt conditions are slamming you, and all converging on the blood trail hunts and meat haul. Theres alot of talent that can be shared when a group of men converge for a common goal. There is much value from the council and experience of many.

I dont base camp if i can help it. I prefer to hunt with camp on my back. Once I get up into a drainage, i dont want to give up elevation. I’d rather exhaust that area over 3-4 day haul and loop back to the truck and drive to another drainage if needed.

Bm22

FNG
Wish you were closer to Houston I would be in. I am 31 and making my first trip this year. It will be a solo trip, just getting in to elk hunting. Walk daily and backpack weekly ramping up to September.

My plan is to stay light and mobile. It would be a great advantage to have 2-3 other people in the area to help train, push myself and help work an area.

I'd hunt in groups of 2 for highest odds. People should go where the habitat is best and game are. I'd save all the teamwork for the basketball court and I played sports my whole life. That's just me. Also, I would stay mobile and not sell out on one drainage.

OP
Mule

Mule

FNG
That is my strategy this season! mobility--camp on my back...3 to 4 days tops in any one drainage depending on the sign, response to calls, hunt pressure, etc. I had a 10-day hunt plan on one drainage once a few years ago and the exhaustion/challenges sent us packing out on day 8. This season is a 15-day plan with the mental "it's ok" to drive into town mid way through for a good meal, warm comfy bed and a laundromat to refresh everything and go back in for round 2.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
Wish I’d seen this earlier. I’d have told you to go the the train to hunt event at Cinnamon Creek held yesterday. Everyone I spoke to elk hunts in Colorado and several of the guys were from your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TBHasler

WKR
Mule - I'm interested. Live nearby (Lewisville) and shoot out at CCR 2-3 times a month. Will be going on first elk hunt this fall. I'm 48. No spring chicken but not roadkill yet either. Have been planning a trip with my buddy from the mid-west who has hunted elk in CO twice in the past.
Let me know if you'd be interested in discussing possibilities.

This is a good idea if your hunting otc stuff. Problem is whenever you get points built everywhere and your crew all has a different number of points. I gave up on counting on people a while back. I just go solo now.

OkieElk

FNG
Would love to but I live in Tulsa, OK. Going to be in Dallas for a wedding two weekends from now and I am definitely checking out Cinnamon Creek Ranch. Outdoor course looks sweet! I’ve been looking at the Weminuche for a long time but have yet to pull the trigger.

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
Cinnamon creek is awesome. I try to get up there most weekends