16c early archery new mex.

bignocks

FNG
Im super pumped I finally got drawn for early season (first 2 weeks in september) NM archery hunt in unit 16c.
Id love to hear anyones input. Has anyone hunted it recently and know of the current elk situation and what one could expect. I know there is potential for some giants but Id also like to have a realistic expectation as I am fit and willing to work hard and hold out. Water might be key this time of year. Like everyone who has hunted the gila Im just super excited and willing to hear advice from people who know the unit. Id also take any secret water hole and look out spots and last known coordinates to a prehistoric looking beast of an elk. lololol. Thanks in advance.

Beendare

WKR
Tough unit. I don't know it...but I do know a good elk hunter that thought he was going to backpack in there and kill a bull.....he went a week and didn't see squat.

Better get some boots on the ground and check it out.....

JPD350

WKR
Pray for rain though the summer, at this point many of the main tanks are running out of water because of a super dry winter, they were 3 to 5 feet low. I was just down in 16A, B and C turkey hunting and there wasn't even any green shoots of anything in any drainages, no springs were flowing nothing! but some turkeys seem to have found some dandelions somewhere and there were elk around, so yea we need some good rains!

OP
B

bignocks

FNG
Pray for rain though the summer, at this point many of the main tanks are running out of water because of a super dry winter, they were 3 to 5 feet low. I was just down in 16A, B and C turkey hunting and there wasn't even any green shoots of anything in any drainages, no springs were flowing nothing! but some turkeys seem to have found some dandelions somewhere and there were elk around, so yea we need some good rains!

I havent seen best reviews on this unit. I guess I thought it was better than that. well thanks anyways. Ill give it my damdest.

I've got the same tag. Plenty of good bulls if you know where to look. I was just there over the weekend and saw some green just starting to show up in the bottoms, but it's mostly drier than a popcorn fart out there right now. Tanks do have water in them, and should have enough to hold on another couple months, but it's got a good chance of being a horrible dry summer.

Can be a lot of up and down country. Might not be terribly deep canyons, but they can be really steep.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Doghed

WKR
I love 16c. I've been in there a bunch during first archery the last 5 years or so helping a buddy who seems to draw it every year. The last two or three years have been difficult as there has been quite a bit of moisture (making tanks less productive) and unfortunately the wolves have been around. If it stays dry I could certainly see sitting on tanks and being successful.

OP
B

bignocks

FNG
thanks for the reply. What quality range were you seeing in that unit. Id like to hold out for something decent but wondering what kind of animals you were seeing. Also any areas to avoid because of to many people?

thanks for the reply. What quality range were you seeing in that unit. Id like to hold out for something decent but wondering what kind of animals you were seeing. Also any areas to avoid because of to many people?
There are big bulls(330" +) killed in that unit every year, just like the rest of the Gila. How many kind of depends on the moisture we get.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
B

bignocks

FNG
He back. lol. Well I learned alot. Isnt that what im supposed to say. The elk were really quiet and every boot print was a water hole so it made hunting tough. I had a bear almost step on me while taking a nap on the mountain and he chewed on my bugle tube so that def was fun. I ended up raking a tree at last light after sprinting after these elk and had a bull run in at me. I guessed 50yds which i was close but I didnt realize he was slightly qtr too. That with the crazy situation and the shot was high and back. I think I hit one lung. Looked for 2 days hands and knees. Came home empty handed. kick in the nuts. I could write a novel about that hunt.

Shaun2390

Lil-Rokslider
He back. lol. Well I learned alot. Isnt that what im supposed to say. The elk were really quiet and every boot print was a water hole so it made hunting tough. I had a bear almost step on me while taking a nap on the mountain and he chewed on my bugle tube so that def was fun. I ended up raking a tree at last light after sprinting after these elk and had a bull run in at me. I guessed 50yds which i was close but I didnt realize he was slightly qtr too. That with the crazy situation and the shot was high and back. I think I hit one lung. Looked for 2 days hands and knees. Came home empty handed. kick in the nuts. I could write a novel about that hunt.
I drew 16c for the second archery hunt this year. Hoping to have a good hunt if you have any incite it would be greatly appreciated! Happy Hunting.