Colorado Shed Hunting Permit

oopslala

FNG
I’ve checked everywhere I can find to try and figure out how and where to buy one, but can’t find any info besides you need one. I’m guessing and fish and game offices?

I’m also crossing from a different state with a few sheds and the way I understand the rules, and from what I’ve read I have to buy a permit to have those as well. I think I remember reading you may be able to get a tag from the state you’re coming from stating they were found there, but I’m not sure.

Any info would be appreciated, once provided feel free to shut the thread down.

svivian

WKR
I'm not sure where you're getting your info. There is no shed permit needed currently in Colorado. There is a season for shed hunting that begins May 1st and ends December 31st.

chindits

WKR
This year it did not pass. Unfortunately it will be revisited again next year and CPW will keep presenting it until they wear them down and it passes. I really don’t get it since a shed is no longer wildlife. If anybody should be permitting shed collecting it should be USFS BLM since it is more like collecting firewood or another renewable resource off a public land rather than harvesting wildlife. What an agency will do to make a buck 🦌

4ester

WKR
Not sure what you have there in CO, but a few friends of mine think that here in Wyoming you should be at lease required to have a conservation stamp. If you are going to be out collecting items that have that much value you should at least give a little back. My opinion anyway FWIW.

chindits

WKR
Maybe a seller tax but if you don’t sell antlers there value is just a memory of a hike. A shed license would force people to sell some sheds just to pay for the license. I haven’t sold a shed since the 90s and don’t see the need to in the future. What about the visitor. I remember as a kid finding a muley shed on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Are you going to tell some 8 year old kid from back east he can’t take that shed home because he doesn’t have a shed license? You might because you have financial motives like all the big shed dealers around here pushing for the license but not me.

Not sure what you have there in CO, but a few friends of mine think that here in Wyoming you should be at lease required to have a conservation stamp. If you are going to be out collecting items that have that much value you should at least give a little back. My opinion anyway FWIW.

We have a habitat stamp which is similar

chindits

WKR
I also question the legal framework behind a shed license. You can tell CPW recognizes it is not really a wildlife regulation because it is only applicable to public lands. On private land you can collect all the sheds you want without a license. How many fish or elk can you harvest on private land without a license? They know the shed license wouldn’t stand up to legal scrutiny so they are avoiding the first challenge to the law.