First ELK hunt_OTC 681 ARCHERY

Jblack86

FNG
I will be going on my first elk hunt this year. My friend and I have decided to hunt 681 GMU Colorado. Being over the counter I would imagine that it will be packed with hunters.
Questions if anyone is willing to answer:

1:I cant find solid rules about camping on the BLM land. Anyone know or could point me?
I ask because my friend wants to have a base camp at the truck, but wants to drive the truck into BLM/ National forest land.
I told him that it is 300 ft from the road and only in specific areas on the Nation Forest Land.

2. Can anyone recommend a wild game processor in the area to store a carcass if we are lucky? I think it will be too hot to hang an animal too long.

3. I am new and if you would like to share any tips/advice/resources i am willing to listen.

Thanks

OP
J

Jblack86

FNG
Nobody?

I am considering black ovis game bags. I cant find caribou bags in stock and the ovis ones are about 55 dollars shipped. What is the communities impression of them?

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Wild West Butchers. Villa Grove, Colorado. Phone: (719) 655-2868. Address: 34093 Hwy 285, PO Box 131, Villa Grove, Colorado 81155.

I've used him in the past.

elksmoker

FNG
New here and saw your post. 681 can be good at the western end - lots of valleys with north facing slopes and water in the bottom. At the far SW corner near the wilderness area you can see some too. But lots of roads so its harder to get away from the other hunters, most of which come late week and leave Sun or Mon. If I don't get my 551 tag I'll hunt there again.

You can get large pillow cases way cheaper than game bags - stronger, less stretchy, throw-away if they're to gross for the wife once you get home.

Although I normally camp on Natl Forest land, from past experience you can camp just about anywhere on BLM land that's not posted otherwise. You might call the BLM office in Gunnison. Get the SFNF MVU map to see what roads are open - lots of the old mining roads are closed - and see where you can travel off-road to pick up your elk. Can't do that everywhere...

Although I cut up my own elk, theres

OP
J

Jblack86

FNG
Thank you for the response. I am thinking about an area in the north central part of the unit. It seems like the least amount of roads. I will research the area you are talking about. Thanks again

OP
J

Jblack86

FNG
I drew a mule deer tag for 68/681! I just hope to see some game. Being my first western hunt, i am just looking for a great experience. Thank everyone for the advice.

cclj03

FNG
Would love an update on how this hunt went - I've hunted 681 for years. PM me if you see this!

OP
J

Jblack86

FNG
Sorry for the long delay.

The hunt was an adventure.
To start things off, I got food poisoning on the way to Colorado from Oklahoma. When we checked in with the office before heading up to the mountain, the guys there told us the elk did not come down from the heights last year and they we should hunt as high as possible. We made camp at 11,600. The plan was to drive to locations to scout, but we used 3/4 of a tank of gas on the way up. So, we had to stay relatively close to our chosen spot. The altitude plus dehydration from food posing had me in a really bad spot.
All the trees were in different states of beetle infection. A lot had already fell and some literally hummed with the sound of the beetles
Morning 1
I called a mountain lion into 5ish yards. It sprinted away when I stood, drew and yelled. If it wanted me I would have had little chance. By the time my nock hit my face, the lion was gone.
Then we had 2 mule deer bucks sprint down the hill within 30 yards of us. They moved so fast it was amazing.
Later that morning, my buddy and I were split by 30-40 yards. I was up the 45 degree slope from him. We saw a good size bull on the other side of some downed trees. The plan was to slowly approach and hope one of us would get a shot. I was 35 yards from the elk but did not have a clean shot due to all the branches. He was feeding up the hill and I was about to get a shot. My buddy then decides to call....... The elk sprinted away instantly, he did even look out way.
Night one through the end of the hunt.
We did not see another large animal.
With freezing temps every night, my 20 degree bag and his summer tent struggled to keep me warm. We found bear tracks most mornings in camp. It sleeted and thunder stormed a portion of every day we hunted. The cloud to ground lightning was as awesome inspiring as the views. The trees fell all around us, I saw at least 3 fall. Roads were washed out and trees were over others but we made it out.

It was a crazy adventure. I am planing a trip back to the mountains this year and next year. I will be better prepared.

cclj03

FNG
681 is packed with black bears, and I've seen 2 cats while on foot. One year, I set up a camera on the carcass of a bull I killed. over the next 4 nights it had (best we could tel) 7 different bears show up to eat on it. The biggest one stayed and slept on the carcass the last night. Just wish there were more elk... haha.DCF27243-8A95-4083-A4F3-7BEE27CDCE52_1_201_a.jpeg