Montana HD 631 - Missouri Breaks

BlckBeard

FNG
Hi all!
I'm a Montana resident and I just learned I drew a bull elk tag for HD 631 during the rifle season this year. Any input relating to that district would be appreciated. I've heard a lot about glassing and hunting from a boat and am curious if anyone out there has done this.

I'm also curious about elk behavior there in general. I've spent all my time hunting elk in the high country and am looking forward to the challenge of a new area. Sounds like the gumbo is the real deal!

Thank you for your help.

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Gumbo is still on my truck's underbody after multiple washes and 1+ year after a shed hunting adventure. Good luck on your hunt.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
I too will be hunting 631 this year! I drew the archery only permit and information regarding the unit is incredibly sparse. Looks like a couple scouting trips are needed. I really am just hoping its not overly crowded as this terrain and style of hunting is what im most used to.

Forest

WKR
You guys got a couple things right, the gumbo is for-real. Also crowded, it's not a real big area especially when you narrow it down to where the elk generally are. Hunting this unit from the boat can be good, nice boat ramp, but it is a trend that is catching on it seems. Also a lot of gravel to pull the boat down to get there which may or may not matter to you. The main road is actually pretty good till the last few miles. There is an outfitter based in that unit. Generally a couple nice bulls killed in there every year, I would suggest early season if it were me. It will be a lot different hunt than what you are used to in the high country. Best of luck!!

mtmuley

WKR
I had a Breaks tag 14 years ago. Let big bulls walk looking for a monster. I have another crack at it this year. Won't make the same mistakes believe me. mtmuley

NDGuy

WKR
I had a Breaks tag 14 years ago. Let big bulls walk looking for a monster. I have another crack at it this year. Won't make the same mistakes believe me. mtmuley

Congrats! Post pics when you tag out.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
I have no intention of letting a 340 walk but I’ll eat my tag if I can’t get one over 300. I should be able to make my way in there a couple times over the summer as it’s only a couple hours from home. The Elk in ND will get a break from me watching them everyday in September.

300stw

FNG
how did your hunt go, my son has a rifle tag for bulls in there, wondering if you have any thoughts on the units, thanks

blmedlin

FNG
I too will be hunting 631 this year! I drew the archery only permit and information regarding the unit is incredibly sparse. Looks like a couple scouting trips are needed. I really am just hoping its not overly crowded as this terrain and style of hunting is what im most used to.
Hey Kupper, was hoping to connect with you on 631. Had a couple of questions if you don't mind. Thanks in advance.